ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

My Lexus ES Transformation.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-11, 12:38 PM
GoingHaam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Lexus ES Transformation.

Whats up Club Lexus!, I just recently got an ES350, and so far so good im loving it. I got it to use as a daily driver, but I'm into cars alot, I was really pulled in by interior, ride, options, and of course MPGs lol.

The exterior is also very nice, but at times when I drive it, I think people look at me like im driving my mom's car or something.. I dont think I am the typical, ES350 driver, an early 20's guy living life! So I am about to putting my my own twist on my lexus real soon.

Some people might not like my style, but im doing it for me... "To each there own"

Stay Tuned.... I will be posting pics along the way!

With that said does anyone know how to remove the rear struts?
(I pealed back the lining in the trunk and didnt see the strut mount)
Old 03-31-11, 03:20 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the club. Are your a DIY guy, are you into tuning? because i am, but with Lexus, tuning take a turn into a more sober side, not making it too ricing.

Make sure to take a lot of pictures along the way to benefit others.
Old 03-31-11, 06:37 PM
GoingHaam
Driver

Thanks, I am somewhat of a Do it yourself-er, I wont be tuning and ricing it up, I dont want to take much from the car it being a lexus and not a civic. I will being taking pics to show progress.

So here is my car as it sits Stock ES350 with the Premium Package.

Old 03-31-11, 06:42 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

good looking car, cant wait to see what your plans are
Old 03-31-11, 07:52 PM
dieverse
Rookie

I'm 25 and have a sc300 but my gf who is 23 just purchased a es350 I must say very very nice ride can't wait to see what you do with yours my gf wont let me touch hers I think they have a lot of potential...
Old 04-01-11, 05:36 PM
safford197
Driver

I love my ES, I think the ES is a good compromise from a tight fitting but sporty IS350 and a slow all wheel drive IS250.

I'm 33 now but I got my ES when I was 29. I've changed a few things subtly to improve performance a little.

Most notable is changing out the wheels for light weight racing wheels. The forged factory alloys weigh a ton. I shaved 10.5lbs off the unsprung rotational mass at each wheel by doing so.

I recently changed out the stock intake with a WeaponsR ram air system.
http://youtu.be/4GlcVvKTrGk
Makes it sound nice under heavy acceleration but still quiet below 4K RPM.

And last thing I did was to replace the stock battery with a glass matt light weight racing battery which shaved off 27lbs more and cost little more then a stock battery replacement. This was a little more complicated as I had to fabricate a new mount - but still took less then three hours to install.

I've also replaced the full size spare in the trunk with a small 12v powered compressor, slime, and tire repair kit which saves about another 40lbs.

Good luck and hope you post some pics of your progress!
Old 04-01-11, 05:44 PM
ekwlee
Pole Position

im excited to see what ur going to do! im also a youngin...26..so dont feel so out of place!
Old 04-01-11, 06:31 PM
GoingHaam
Driver

Well I found out how to get the struts out! you have to take the back seats out to access the top of the strut mount since the back seat dont fold down in the ES

disconnect the battery as a precaution since there are airbags on the sides of the rear seats.

The struts

The mount is right behind the seat belt tensioner, you have to move the white felt out of the way to see it.

unbolt the nuts that hold the on, remove, the bolts that hold the strut to the wheel hub and the struts come right out! nothing to complicated.

Old 04-01-11, 08:08 PM
safford197
Driver

Goinghamm,
Nice pics, but if you have the time, how about a full blown DIY thread?

What struts did you replace the original's with? And what's your impression?
Old 04-01-11, 09:08 PM
GoingHaam
Driver

Maybe will do a thread like that a little on down the line if i have some in detailed stuff happening, i had some friends pretty much do the strut job for me, the struts i put in are custom fabricated... im going to post more pictures a little later, and let the pictures do most of the talking, im taking the car in a unexpected direction, im going to wake up early tomorrow morning and hopefully get "everything" finished
Old 04-02-11, 01:40 AM
ekwlee
Pole Position

PLEEASSSEE keep on posting pictures...
Old 04-02-11, 07:35 PM
GoingHaam
Driver

I added a spoiler today, its seemed like an easy job intially. but it was complicated!

i set the template markers where the holes need to be drilled, my spoiler had 5 holes to bolt it down, but i only drilled 3 holes. 1 on each side and 1 in the middle. once i drilled the in the trunk i realized it was next to impossible to reach the holes on the sides, due to the way the frame of the trunk is made, i spent 4hrs trying to get the spoiler on, when i just gave up and and put tape over the holes and attached the spoiler on with 3m double sidetape, yeah i know it sound cheap, but it is on very tight, and i will get some self tapping screws later, and add the screws, just because i have the holes already drilled, so if anyone is consider the spoiler i highly advise NOT drilling holes and use the 3m because that stuff is Great and very tight!

Old 04-03-11, 03:36 PM
ekwlee
Pole Position

yea..the 3m stuff is great, im actually glad i got my car with the spoiler already put on..

it's a small thing but boy does it make a difference imho
Old 04-04-11, 12:10 PM
GoingHaam
Driver

Car is 95% done,it only 2 more very small things left. I would post pics but its storming outside and i want to wash the car before i post the semi done pics of phase 1 on my ES
Old 04-04-11, 05:22 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you going to do extended work on the car ? seem like to you talended enought to tackle the car without any fear

I too have all the equipment (dynamat, front billet grill, interior lightning system...) at home and no time to address the car.

Quick Reply: My Lexus ES Transformation.