ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Horrible seats in the ES?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-11, 09:04 AM
Bob91320
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Timothyj
Too bad about the seats. I have a 04 es 81000 miles, very good seats in that car. Hope you your problem fixed.

We traded a '04 with about 60k miles. The seats were great. A 20 hour drive to WA was not a problem. I would have expected as good or better in the '09. What a disappointment.
Old 03-28-11, 12:45 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^Again, I'll ask the question - Did you use the power Lumber Adjuster

You are the only user that I have heard that has a problem.

Lou
Old 03-28-11, 07:50 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to learn that seats are not comfortable for you and your wife. My wife has a 05 ES 330 and I have an 09. I have noticed that her seats seem wider than mine. Both are comfortable to me, but I could see there being a problem if your height of physical build comes into play. I would say lumbar support is slightly better in her 05.
Old 03-29-11, 01:20 PM
Jagmeister
Driver School Candidate

Default I have the same problem

For some reason I can't get comfortable in my ES350. I have no problems in our RX but, even with different settings on the lumbar support, my back becomes sore in the ES. Otherwise, I love the car.
Old 03-29-11, 02:08 PM
larrytstar
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread is making me crazy. I have an '08 CTS - one of the new ones. I hate the seats. I have been thinking that I will get and ES, either the current model or the next one, and one of the things I have been most looking forward to is owning a car with comfortable seats. Now this! Tell me it ain't so!
Old 03-29-11, 02:27 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by larrytstar
This thread is making me crazy. I have an '08 CTS - one of the new ones. I hate the seats. I have been thinking that I will get and ES, either the current model or the next one, and one of the things I have been most looking forward to is owning a car with comfortable seats. Now this! Tell me it ain't so!
This whole subject is way too subjective for a blanket "ain't so". I can give a personal "it ain't so". I've had two ES350 and the front seats in both were great for my wife and me.

We take long driving trips in the cars and both of us were comfortable all of the time. Obviously the experience is different for others.

The problem is that during a test drive and sitting in the showroom you can't tell how the seats will be for you over the long haul. It's kind of a crap shoot in that respect.
Old 03-29-11, 08:10 PM
racerock
Driver School Candidate

Please sell me your seats.

I love my e350 seats - most comfy I have ever been in - love to put a set in my Jeep.
Old 03-30-11, 05:23 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagmeister
For some reason I can't get comfortable in my ES350. I have no problems in our RX but, even with different settings on the lumbar support, my back becomes sore in the ES. Otherwise, I love the car.

Simple , just go to a salvage yard and buy an RX seat and install it in your ES. If anyone doesn't like the ES seats go find one that you like and retrofit it. If you want you can go to a upholsterer and have them recover it with the same or similar material as the ES. How about a little creativity here.
Old 03-30-11, 07:30 AM
Jimbo68
Rookie

Originally Posted by lowrideraz
It's now been over a week since the OP posted and nary a word. I think it's now safe to say he had no clue about the lumber adjuster

Lou
Either that or a troll.
Old 03-30-11, 05:38 PM
lava
Driver School Candidate

Wow that wasnt expected.
Old 03-31-11, 02:17 PM
russellh
Driver School Candidate

The seats on the ES350 are definitely not as roomy and comfortable as the larger LS sedans. They are smaller with poor lateral support. For larger people (heavier like me) I find that the power seat cushion extender on the driver's seat makes quite a difference on longer trips (I drive into New York City in heavy traffic resulting in an extended drive), but that is available only on the ES350 ultra-luxury model (glass roof, rear sunshade, graphite wheels, etc.). I also vary the lumbar support, but that alone, may not be very useful. For some people's body habitus, the seats are just not comfortable (along with marginal head room on the ES350); I had the same problem with the Acura TL 10 years ago, and had to sell the car.
Old 04-04-11, 09:23 AM
Bob91320
Driver School Candidate

^^^^Again, I'll ask the question - Did you use the power Lumber Adjuster

You are the only user that I have heard that has a problem.

Lou
Yes, we have tried to make the seat more comfortable by using the lumbar adjustment. I'm 6'3", the wife 5'9". She ended up buying a cheapo lumbar support at a office supply place. I can't use it comfortably since it pushes me too forward.

We were going to buy an RX350 but the seats in that were too upright. I'm thinking these cars are designed for short statures like women generally are. The RX was a short test drive and I knew it was not a fit.

If I had known the seats were not comfortable, I'd taken a book and gone to the dealer and sat there for 10 hours reading. I doubt if that would have worked.
Old 04-04-11, 07:22 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob91320
Yes, we have tried to make the seat more comfortable by using the lumbar adjustment. I'm 6'3", the wife 5'9". She ended up buying a cheapo lumbar support at a office supply place. I can't use it comfortably since it pushes me too forward.

We were going to buy an RX350 but the seats in that were too upright. I'm thinking these cars are designed for short statures like women generally are. The RX was a short test drive and I knew it was not a fit.

If I had known the seats were not comfortable, I'd taken a book and gone to the dealer and sat there for 10 hours reading. I doubt if that would have worked.
It's just a matter of what you feel comfortable in. I am very comfortable in them but I recline them and normally slouch while I drive. 6'4" , 245#
Old 04-05-11, 10:20 AM
jerfitz
Pole Position

We, to, find the seats in our Lexus 2007 ES350 to be "not to comfortable." My wife has used the lumbar adjustment, tipped the seat back and more vertical, moved it back and forward, and raised/lowered the seat and still within 5-10 minutes her lower back starts to hurt. This does not occur in our other car.

I find the seats, right where I sit, to hard to sit on for any length of time without my seat hurting. Maybe it's because the heat and A/C blows up through the seat bottom and their may be less cushioning there to allow for air flow.

It sure has made a difference in how much we drive the car. We bought it new in 2007 and on April 3, 2011 the odometer turned 16,000 miles on our 2007 ES350. This is because we have driven our Acura MDX most of the time due to the uncomfortable seats in our ES350.

The last time I took it in for Lexus service the service rep commented and was amazed at the low mileage. It was only about 15,500 then

JerryF

PS, At our latest service on 10/19/2012 the car only has 17,289 miles because the seats are so uncomfortable that we avoid driving it!

Last edited by jerfitz; 10-30-12 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-11-11, 08:41 AM
Bob91320
Driver School Candidate

It's now been over a week since the OP posted and nary a word. I think it's now safe to say he had no clue about the lumber adjuster

Lou

I guess I'm the "OP". Just threw out the comment based on our first long drive in the "new" Lexus. We could do a two day, 1200 mile drive from SoCal to Redmond, WA and never have a problem. On this drive over to Kingman, which is about 360 miles, we both were complaining.

I'm 6'3", 240 pounds and old (maybe grumpy too). I adjusted the lumbar as stiff as it would get. The adjustment on the front of the seats was up/out as far as it would go. The seats have heating and cooling, so that may be a problem. It's really a moot point as this is the last car we'll be buying in this lifetime. We're both retired and my money goes to my next used truck and a new motorcycle if we spend anymore of our money on vehicles.

Just too bad this one doesn't fulfill my wife's dreams of what a Lexus should be. Her last cars were Lexus IS and ES and she loved them. She has a lumbar support she grabbed off the office chair she uses and it works for her, but it's too thick for me and pushes me too far forward. Guess we just live with it.

Quick Reply: Horrible seats in the ES?