ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Horrible seats in the ES?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-12, 03:13 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

It's too bad that uncomfortable seats aren't apparent until after you've lived with a car for a while. Once you realize they aren't for you it's too late and you are stuck with them.

We had a 2007 ES and then a 2010 and fortunately the seats in both cars were great for us and we used the cars a lot for long driving vacations etc. It's hard to tell how the seats will work out during brief test drives.
Old 11-24-12, 03:27 PM
rev
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my 2007 ES 350 used, and the driver's seat bottom cushion was quite compressed. I'm using a wedge seat cushion, which really makes the seat much more comfortable. Of course, I'm giving up the seat heating & cooling, but I don't really need those functions.
Old 11-24-12, 05:19 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by smarty666
I have to agree, about the seat cushion bottom on the ES350. After only 1 year of use, it got so mushy and compressed it wasn't providing me any support any longer. So much, that after only 15 minutes of my 35 minute commute, my *** was getting so sore I could feel the mechanism and bars underneath the seat.

I complained to my Lexus dealer, they called Lexus HQ, and got immediate approval to have a new seat bottom put in my car. My Lexus dealer even admitted, they have had a lot of people come in and complain about the soft/flat seat bottoms on the 2007-2012 ES350s. I'll need to make sure I get the seat bottom replaced before the 4yr/48k mile warrant is up.

Before you get a G37 though, which is going to have a really harsh/jarring ride compared to the ES350. When they were working on my 2011, they gave me a 2013 ES350 as a loner car. All I can say is WOW. The seats were like night and day. The new ES has more of a sport bucket type seat and the bottom cushion is much more firm and supportive. I would give that a look before you jump ship to Infiniti. Plus, they have the ECO and Sport mode on the 2013 and when in Sport, the handling gets nice and firm and pretty crisp, my biggest complaint on my 2011. If I could, I'd be in a 2013 tomorrow.
I might call them also, is new seat cushion provides better support? did they really improve it? I might be turned away, they might say its normal.... I feel like buying some sort of seat cover for the bottom portion to provide more support.
Old 12-06-12, 05:31 PM
smarty666
Rookie

Originally Posted by tolian21
I might call them also, is new seat cushion provides better support? did they really improve it? I might be turned away, they might say its normal.... I feel like buying some sort of seat cover for the bottom portion to provide more support.
Yes, the new seat cushion did make a difference, but now its back to the way it was when I first got the car. I'm going to get another 1 year out of it before it has to be replaced again, c-mon.

The seats in the new 2013 though are like night and day.
Old 12-08-12, 07:29 AM
JoshTittle
Driver School Candidate

I have an 05 ES330 and my seats are awesome.
Old 03-05-13, 10:15 AM
cindytoo
Driver School Candidate

I'm wondering if the seats in the new 2013 and 2014 ES300h are the same seats or different -- anybody know?
Old 03-07-13, 06:56 PM
CQRT
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob91320
Just got back from a 800 mile trip over to Kingman, AZ for my brother-in-laws funeral. We just traded an '04 ES330 for a '09 ES350 and this was the first long drive. What horrible seats in the 350. My gawd, my back was toast after 2-3 hours driving. It's a 6 hour drive each way. Any thoughts as to improving the lumbar on these? My wife was complaining after just an hour or so. I'd love to stuff a couple inches or more of foam into the lumbar area since the factory lumbar seem totally worthless. Anyone done such?
First time I've ever read that complain - - perhaps you don't have the lumbar adjustments suited well for you?

We make a 375 mile run from Scottsdale to Orange county on a regular basis and I've had a couple of back surgeries- but always thought the ES 350 seats were really good once you got them set.

Good luck . . . maybe I just have more padding !
Old 03-07-13, 07:35 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

The OP started this thread about a two years ago. Maybe he ended up getting another car that suited him better.
Old 03-09-13, 11:30 PM
mikectm2
Driver School Candidate

Default what is the best Sedan anyway.. for a long drive

This is quite a thread. I currently drive a '08 Altima 2.5S , and its hard driver's seat and all around rigid ride has practically killed me over the past year now. I'm getting good $ when i turn 35, in 2 months. thought i was gonna get a '12 ES350. i'm in southern california. the South County/Mission Viejo (Lexus ) store has 'retired' their little fleet of '12 ES loaners. And now they're part of their preowned inventory. There's 8 of them. I keep a list of all 8, have all their license plates written down, And was planning on buying one of 'em in about 6-7 weeks (to be exact ). btw, over the past 3 weeks or more, they haven't sold a Single one (as of a few days ago ) ! the price is 34,900 w NAV and 32 900 without NAV. i want $1,000-1,500 off that price of course. and i'm waiting for the ones that i've sat there then for more than 60 days (when my bday comes ). they really try to move 'em after that right? also been visiting/tracking tustin, newport and crown and a little bit westminster & santa moinca. then there's longo of course, they don't have many '12s though. these 'former loaners' are owned by the store and have 10 -13k miles on them.

I expect to pay about $34K to 35K OTD ( out the door aka all fees included ) . Thought i'd be getting relief from a terrible driver's seat (driver's seat bottom mostly ). Since driving this Altima and now suffer from ' Snapping hip syndrome ' . That's the actual name of the condition. I do stretches whenever i can, and take fish oil to try to treat/eleviate it. btw, the '13 Altima has 'NASA inspired seats' now. evidently people's legs were 'falling asleep' and other things with the '08 to '12s .

This upcoming car purchase is gonna be the biggest purchase i've ever made. I'm 6'0 and around 215lbs. Would i be better off in a '08 LS460 ? maybe i can throw $7k more at this , which i wasn't expecting

Jagmeister, my aunt has a '11 RX350 and i think the seat is pretty firm. doesn't get my vote.

Jagtoes is 6'3" and likes it (ES350 ). reclining the seat is good - Which IS EXactly what i do in the Altima. even have the head rests removed and drive with my left arm thrown over the top of the seat ...and put my right foot up on the console and drive with my left foot. i'm good at it now/ no danger. But smarty666 is 6'3" too , and he hates it! dang it.

kg19989, i've heard from several peeps that the LS430 seat bottom suks.

jerfitz, the new Grand Cherokee seats are Nothin' like the old ones. my aunt had a 2000 grand cherokee limited, and it had the softest seats i'd ever felt. nothing like a new grand cherokee. I hear ya.

Smarty666, i've sat in a '13 ES , and immediately ruled it out. Felt it was too hard/firm.

tolian21 and IS350Jet , that's EXACtly what i do not want!

So is the best choice a '07 or newer LS ? also gonna go look at a '04 '05 or '06 ES330 via Craigslist. i looked at the pic of one on CL, and can't see how the driver's seat bottom can be so much better. but i'll go verify.

When i sit in any '10 to '12 preowned ES350 ( and short test drives ) , the driver's seat seems to feel real nice, btw. But chief objective is being comfortable for a 2-3 hour drive..
Old 03-11-13, 01:12 PM
JoshTittle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mikectm2
This is quite a thread. I currently drive a '08 Altima 2.5S , and its hard driver's seat and all around rigid ride has practically killed me over the past year now. I'm getting good $ when i turn 35, in 2 months. thought i was gonna get a '12 ES350. i'm in southern california. the South County/Mission Viejo (Lexus ) store has 'retired' their little fleet of '12 ES loaners. And now they're part of their preowned inventory. There's 8 of them. I keep a list of all 8, have all their license plates written down, And was planning on buying one of 'em in about 6-7 weeks (to be exact ). btw, over the past 3 weeks or more, they haven't sold a Single one (as of a few days ago ) ! the price is 34,900 w NAV and 32 900 without NAV. i want $1,000-1,500 off that price of course. and i'm waiting for the ones that i've sat there then for more than 60 days (when my bday comes ). they really try to move 'em after that right? also been visiting/tracking tustin, newport and crown and a little bit westminster & santa moinca. then there's longo of course, they don't have many '12s though. these 'former loaners' are owned by the store and have 10 -13k miles on them.

I expect to pay about $34K to 35K OTD ( out the door aka all fees included ) . Thought i'd be getting relief from a terrible driver's seat (driver's seat bottom mostly ). Since driving this Altima and now suffer from ' Snapping hip syndrome ' . That's the actual name of the condition. I do stretches whenever i can, and take fish oil to try to treat/eleviate it. btw, the '13 Altima has 'NASA inspired seats' now. evidently people's legs were 'falling asleep' and other things with the '08 to '12s .

This upcoming car purchase is gonna be the biggest purchase i've ever made. I'm 6'0 and around 215lbs. Would i be better off in a '08 LS460 ? maybe i can throw $7k more at this , which i wasn't expecting

Jagmeister, my aunt has a '11 RX350 and i think the seat is pretty firm. doesn't get my vote.

Jagtoes is 6'3" and likes it (ES350 ). reclining the seat is good - Which IS EXactly what i do in the Altima. even have the head rests removed and drive with my left arm thrown over the top of the seat ...and put my right foot up on the console and drive with my left foot. i'm good at it now/ no danger. But smarty666 is 6'3" too , and he hates it! dang it.

kg19989, i've heard from several peeps that the LS430 seat bottom suks.

jerfitz, the new Grand Cherokee seats are Nothin' like the old ones. my aunt had a 2000 grand cherokee limited, and it had the softest seats i'd ever felt. nothing like a new grand cherokee. I hear ya.

Smarty666, i've sat in a '13 ES , and immediately ruled it out. Felt it was too hard/firm.

tolian21 and IS350Jet , that's EXACtly what i do not want!

So is the best choice a '07 or newer LS ? also gonna go look at a '04 '05 or '06 ES330 via Craigslist. i looked at the pic of one on CL, and can't see how the driver's seat bottom can be so much better. but i'll go verify.

When i sit in any '10 to '12 preowned ES350 ( and short test drives ) , the driver's seat seems to feel real nice, btw. But chief objective is being comfortable for a 2-3 hour drive..
I have a 2005 ES330 and i really like the seats. They are good on long trips and have lumbar adjustments. You may want to make sure that you will have enough leg room though. I am 5'10" and I have to move the seat up slightly but just make sure that you do your homework as it seems you already have. One thing about the 330 v the 350 is you will have a slightly smaller engine but you also dont have to run premium gas in the 330. I love mine even with it's 121K miles its still going strong.
Old 03-11-13, 01:20 PM
Bob91320
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The OP started this thread about a two years ago. Maybe he ended up getting another car that suited him better.
Wow, this topic is still around? We are still driving the ES and hating it. Kia Sorento or Hyundai SantaFe will be our new car. Maybe Acura RDX, but not likely. Been waiting for close on a refi since Dec. Stay clear of NEW SOURCE LENDING!!!!!
Old 06-05-13, 05:55 AM
George255
Driver School Candidate

I bought an 07 ES350 two months ago. Has about 67k miles. The driver's seat is giving me fits. Back of my legs (mid thigh - hamstring?) are killing me even after half hour of driving. This started literally the day after i bought it when i made a 1.5hr trip. I have even read professional car reviewers (cars.com) that have complained about after a 2 hr drive they were "sore."

I have an 06 Maxima also and the seats are very comfortable - even for 12 hr trips!. I even measured all the angles of the Maxima seat - and distances to the petals, lumbar, etc and matched it in the Lexus - no luck.
I have tried a seat cushion - with limited success. I have read that a couple of others have tried going to an auto upholstery shop and have them put in extra support in the seat bottom - curious as to what they put in to the seat and whether or not it worked.

Desperate to find a solution - or else the Lexus is going to get traded. Yes - it is that bad!
Appreciate the comments
George

PS: I am 6 ft and 210 lbs.
Old 06-05-13, 07:00 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by George255
I bought an 07 ES350 two months ago. Has about 67k miles. The driver's seat is giving me fits. Back of my legs (mid thigh - hamstring?) are killing me even after half hour of driving. This started literally the day after i bought it when i made a 1.5hr trip. I have even read professional car reviewers (cars.com) that have complained about after a 2 hr drive they were "sore."

I have an 06 Maxima also and the seats are very comfortable - even for 12 hr trips!. I even measured all the angles of the Maxima seat - and distances to the petals, lumbar, etc and matched it in the Lexus - no luck.
I have tried a seat cushion - with limited success. I have read that a couple of others have tried going to an auto upholstery shop and have them put in extra support in the seat bottom - curious as to what they put in to the seat and whether or not it worked.

Desperate to find a solution - or else the Lexus is going to get traded. Yes - it is that bad!
Appreciate the comments
George

PS: I am 6 ft and 210 lbs.
It sounds like it might be time to try something else. There is nothing worse than an uncomfortable seat. Maybe an upholstery shop might have a suggestion for more padding in the right places.

I had 2 ES350's, 2007 and 2010, and both my wife and I thought the seats were great, especially on long trips. But everyone is different.
Old 06-05-13, 11:11 AM
George255
Driver School Candidate

Update - went for an estimate from car upholsterer - said he gets these kinds of issues in all the time with all types of cars - quoted my $100 and said at the very least i would see a definite improvement if not resolve the issue. Well worth the money. Will advise when i get it done next week
Old 06-19-13, 11:43 AM
George255
Driver School Candidate

Went to an auto upholsterer - put in firmer padding in the rear panel of the drivers seat bottom. Took it for a long trip (about 6 hrs each way) and very little improvement. Actually, the only thing that made the trip bareable was using cruise control each way.
I put the car up for sale this week :-(

Quick Reply: Horrible seats in the ES?