Transfer Contact to ES350 Handfree via Bluetooch

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-11, 02:48 PM
EX350BCCA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Contact to ES350 Handfree via Bluetooch

Hello All,

Bought a 2010 ES350 without NAV last month. Here is what I learned about transfer contact to Car's Hand free Audio System's phone book. This is for the ES350 without NAV. Hopefully can save someone a few minutes.

1. You can only transfer one contact at a time from your cell phone to the car. All those special characters used to indicate a "wait" or "pause", typically programmed into the phone for access voice mail or office extension, will not work in the car's own phone book.

2. Your cell phone must support transfer a single contact via bluetooth. My Blackberry Curve 8530 does not support transfer single contact. Samsung GT3523C and Motorola Razer V3 both works fine in transfer a single contact to the car's phone book.

3. The process is very tedious. Each time you select "input from phone", the bluetooch connection will be dropped and depends on your cell phone, a few steps are required to start the transfer. The advantage to use "input from phone" over "manual input" is that you can input a name for each contact.

4. For incoming calls, even if the caller is in your phone book, the car still could not display the name, only the number . This may be different in your area though. My incoming call number always displayed as "+1-xxx-xxx-xxxx", since i have no way to put + at the beginning of the number on my cell. this may caused a mismatch in the phone book.)

5. The biggest surprise was that the phone book in the car is VERY small. After 20 entries, the memory is full!

So IMHO, it is not worth the effort to setup a phone book in the car at all. At the end, I only kept 6 entries in the phone book to take advantage of six speed dial locations. Quick dial list on my blackberry will remain the main method of calling.

I know I am buying a luxury car, not a technical gadget. So I am not complaining the limited technical features here. Just wish the user manual could explain it bit better.

Good luck and happy driving.
Old 03-06-11, 09:39 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey thanks for your post.
It nice to share this type of info.

Have you tried deleting any previous entries you might have had in there?

I think on the 09 with Nav it should hold like 100 numbers at least.

This thread might help those with Motorola or BB.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/blue...-transfer.html

After weeks of trying, I have been able to transfer my address book from my BB 8700 to my Lexus IS 250.

Details:

BB 8700 v4.2.1.85 (Platform 2.3.0.67)
2007 Lexus IS 250 (Nav version 6.1)

Assumptions:

Your phone is already paired to the car
You have selected the phone as the active phone in the car's settings
The car is running
You are parked
You are running at least the version listed above - there were issues with previous versions

Directions:

To start the address book transfer, go to Phone (using the steering wheel off-hook button), select Settings, select Phone Book, select "Transfer Phonebook" and choose the group you would like to put the contacts in.

Your BB will loose it's connection to the car. I always thought this was a problem, and it was because of an error, but this is expected. When you loose connection it means the car is ready to accept the transfer.

From your BB, go to Options, select Bluetooth, and you will see the car as a paired device, click your scroll wheel, and choose Transfer Address Book.

The BB will re-establish the bluetooth connection, and then negotiate the address book transfer.

You will now have your address book transfered to your car.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by alexulan; 03-06-11 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-07-11, 02:13 PM
EX350BCCA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess even a 2007 NAV system offers better phone book function than a 2010 basic system without NAV. In my car, there is no option of "Transfer phonebook". It only has "add an entry" option.

And yes, I did cleaned up the phonebook before this transfer effort.

Oh well, like i said earlier, i am getting a car, and it is a great car, that is what is really count