Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > ES Models > ES350 (2007 - 2012)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

HID headlight replacement

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-11, 09:44 PM   #1
ksiq
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: WA
Posts: 4
Question HID headlight replacement

My 2007's drivers side headlight is randomly shutting off. I can see it slightly flutter when I inspect it. I'm not sure how to replace it. I've taken off the cap/wiring harness and can see the end of the lamp but it isn't clear to me how to proceed. Haven't had any luck finding an on line tutorial. Any help will be appreciated!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
ksiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-11, 10:01 PM   #2
PJ82ND
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 30
Default

turn it counter clockwise
PJ82ND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 07:38 AM   #3
07LexusGuy
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksiq View Post
My 2007's drivers side headlight is randomly shutting off. I can see it slightly flutter when I inspect it. I'm not sure how to replace it. I've taken off the cap/wiring harness and can see the end of the lamp but it isn't clear to me how to proceed. Haven't had any luck finding an on line tutorial. Any help will be appreciated!
Turning counter clockwise is for Halogen bulbs, yours is a little different.

There's a metal clip in there that holds the bulb in place. It looks like a "U" and you'll need to pinch the upper ends of that "U" to release the hooks. Once released, let the "U" clip swing down out of the way and just pull out the bulb.

Good luck
__________________
'12 RX350 Luxury Pkg + HUD
'07 ES350 UL
'06 GS300 AWD
07LexusGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 08:30 AM   #4
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
MadMax96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: IL
Posts: 1,195
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksiq View Post
My 2007's drivers side headlight is randomly shutting off. I can see it slightly flutter when I inspect it. I'm not sure how to replace it. I've taken off the cap/wiring harness and can see the end of the lamp but it isn't clear to me how to proceed. Haven't had any luck finding an on line tutorial. Any help will be appreciated!
If you're still under the 4yr/50k warranty the dealer will cover this.

Soon all of the 2007 ES350s will be out of warranty however, and DIY info like this will be very handy to have.
__________________
-Matt
'08 Lexus ES350
'14 Toyota Venza XLE AWD
'12 Toyota Sienna XLE
'99 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
'07 Lexus ES350 - RIP
'99 Lexus LS400 SOLD
MadMax96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-11, 06:41 PM   #5
dreyfus
Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 1,605
Default HID bulb replacement DIY

1. Remove the plastic HID socket cover by turning it counter-clockwise.

2. Remove the silver metal socket fitting attached to the braided cable by turning counter-clockwise about 45 degrees and pulling towards you.

3. There's a U-shaped set spring retainer that has kind of curled circle ends. This holds the bulb assembly in place by locking into notches on either side at roughly 11:00 & 1:00 on the housing. Pinch those two curled ends towards each other and pull them out and down to clear the notches and swing the retainer downward. This will release the bulb in the very center of the unit.

4. Pull the bulb out by it's base. It's about 3" long and comes straight out. Don't touch the glass if you intend to reuse the bulb.

5. The Toyota HID bulb is part # 90981-20024 (for my 2007 ES350).

6. Holding the new bulb by the base and without touching the glass, push the bulb back into the hole. There are notches & tabs in the base and mount that must match. Just rotate the bulb until it catches.

7. Reset the retaining spring by swinging it up and pushing it in while pinching the curled ends a bit. Release the ends when they lock into the metal notches on the housing. Make sure the retainer is secure before proceeding.

8. Reattach the metal socket fitting by pushing in at and turning clockwise 45 degrees from roughly a 10:00 to a 12:00 position.

9. Reattach the plastic cover by turning it clockwise.

That's all there is to it.
dreyfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-11, 09:41 AM   #6
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
MadMax96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: IL
Posts: 1,195
Default

Sounds like the same procedure for any headlight replacement.

I guess things look a little more intimidating w/ all the layers of plastic under the hood.
__________________
-Matt
'08 Lexus ES350
'14 Toyota Venza XLE AWD
'12 Toyota Sienna XLE
'99 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
'07 Lexus ES350 - RIP
'99 Lexus LS400 SOLD
MadMax96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-11, 01:31 PM   #7
92sc300nj
Driver
Trader Score: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 156
Send a message via AIM to 92sc300nj Send a message via MSN to 92sc300nj Send a message via Yahoo to 92sc300nj Send a message via Skype™ to 92sc300nj
Default

that same procedure is used for is line and gs line lx470 also... the ls is a LOTTT more difficult to change.
92sc300nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 10:20 PM   #8
adr7090
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NV
Posts: 7
Default

I has the same issue in my 2007 ES 350 that only have 52K miles. The left HID went off suddenly and it turns on for a second and turns off and I can hear a "humm" behind the light mount. Thank you "dreyfus" for assembly instructions....it will be really helpful for me to replace a new bulb now.
adr7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 04:37 PM   #9
stelars
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: OH
Posts: 7
Default I am SO done with Lexus !!

I have a 52,000 ES 350 that sounds like a diesel engine. Now they're telling me $250 to replace a low beam headlight?? I'm going back to GM !!!!!!!!!!
stelars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-12, 06:40 PM   #10
LexBob2
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,340
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelars View Post
I have a 52,000 ES 350 that sounds like a diesel engine. Now they're telling me $250 to replace a low beam headlight?? I'm going back to GM !!!!!!!!!!
The noisy engine on early ES350's has been well documented. Most owners who had it reported it was primarily on cold startup and went away when the engine warmed up.

A headlight burning out at 52,000 miles? Not uncommon. Since you are out of warranty no need to take the car to the dealership for replacement there are shops out there who will do the job for much less.
LexBob2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-12, 07:55 PM   #11
frf16drvr
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 4
Default

The left front low beam HID failed on our 2007 ES. I ordered a replacement bulb from Amazon for about $51...dealer price was $222.95. My local mechanic installed it in about 30 seconds and showed me how to do it. It was worth the $15 charge. The 9-step procedure above is exactly right. Good luck.
frf16drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-12, 09:17 PM   #12
Cdub78
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CO
Posts: 1
Default

Hey guys,

I wish I had found this thread sooner because I've been monkeying with this headlight all day.

I am having an issue with my 2002 SC430 driver side low beam as well. It was working intermittently and now it doesn't work at all. I thought maybe there was a loose connection somewhere so I pulled everything out and looked at the bulb. there seems to be a little corrosion where the connector with the metal socket (braided cable) connects to the light bulb.

The bulb itself looks ok and I actually got it to flicker and now it is making a slow but loud buzzing sound when I turn on the headlights. The light has stopped flickering and just plain does not work. Sounds like electrical. I'm not sure what else to try. any ideas on making that connection better? is there a replacement socket out there somewhere? I'm not really sure what to search for.
Cdub78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-12, 06:06 PM   #13
Shahryar
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: MD
Posts: 424
Send a message via AIM to Shahryar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreyfus View Post
1. Remove the plastic HID socket cover by turning it counter-clockwise.

2. Remove the silver metal socket fitting attached to the braided cable by turning counter-clockwise about 45 degrees and pulling towards you.

3. There's a U-shaped set spring retainer that has kind of curled circle ends. This holds the bulb assembly in place by locking into notches on either side at roughly 11:00 & 1:00 on the housing. Pinch those two curled ends towards each other and pull them out and down to clear the notches and swing the retainer downward. This will release the bulb in the very center of the unit.

4. Pull the bulb out by it's base. It's about 3" long and comes straight out. Don't touch the glass if you intend to reuse the bulb.

5. The Toyota HID bulb is part # 90981-20024 (for my 2007 ES350).

6. Holding the new bulb by the base and without touching the glass, push the bulb back into the hole. There are notches & tabs in the base and mount that must match. Just rotate the bulb until it catches.

7. Reset the retaining spring by swinging it up and pushing it in while pinching the curled ends a bit. Release the ends when they lock into the metal notches on the housing. Make sure the retainer is secure before proceeding.

8. Reattach the metal socket fitting by pushing in at and turning clockwise 45 degrees from roughly a 10:00 to a 12:00 position.

9. Reattach the plastic cover by turning it clockwise.

That's all there is to it.
I posted a question involving adding HID to a 2IS over here. But I wanted to comment here as well. I went to the dealer today with the same HID bulbs you mentioned to inquire about adding them to my dad's 2006 IS 350 which currently doesn't have HID. The dealer I went to today said it would be $135 to install these bulbs, which would make the car now indeed have HID. I asked if it was as simple as swapping out bulbs and he said it was "more involved than that." Specifically he said there was some "disassembly of the housing" and "programming" involved. I didn't see that mentioned in your walkthrough.
__________________
2003-2004: 2001 Blue IS 300 (died when rear ended into another car: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=fb25c965fe )

2009-2012: 2008 IS 350 SGM w/ Sports Package, non-ML Nav (Bought new 1/2009 from Lexus of Silver Spring, Traded in 2012 for RDX 2013 AWD w/ Tech)
Had Done: Navi Hack w/ Switch install, VAIS SL2Vi

Parents: 2006 SGM IS 350 (2012-present)
Shahryar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-13, 12:01 AM   #14
howserich
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: washington
Posts: 2
Default 2007 gs350 driver side low beam HID

how do you get at the assembly to remove the bulb?
howserich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-13, 10:19 PM   #15
jcat_350
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: RI
Posts: 3,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by howserich View Post
how do you get at the assembly to remove the bulb?
you are in the ES section. You'd probably get more results posting your question specifically in the 3GS section.

However, I'd imagine it's similar in that you remove the plastic coverings and just reach in there. If that doesn't work, there should be an access panel in the wheel well liner or you can remove the splash pan under the front bumper to access the rear of the headlight.
__________________

Current:
'11 Avalon. Aka "the Jap-a-lac"

Previous:
American (x3), Swedish (x1), German (x2), British (x1), Japanese (x4)

Cars, Guns, and Beer. It's what I do, it's what I know.
jcat_350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-13, 10:19 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Headlight Issue please help Uzairlexus RX - Second Generation 6 02-24-14 09:32 PM
Headlight condensation issue... ChrisDisco IS - Second Generation 6 04-05-13 07:31 AM
2008 IS250 headlights not turning on correctly, help! Jrud87 IS - Second Generation 18 12-20-11 01:21 PM
auto headlights; one headlight turning off stockguy ES350 (2007 - 2012) 5 12-20-10 11:40 AM
headlight flickers off Amalan GS - Third Generation 6 12-28-09 06:20 PM


Tags
2007, 350, 9098120024, blulb, change, cost, dealer, diy, es350, gs, gs350, headlight, headlights, hid, install, lexus, replacement

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:50 PM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info