ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

HID headlight replacement

Old 02-11-13, 09:15 AM
howserich
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD bulb replacement

thanks....
but how do you actually remove those plastic covers?
not too sure what the trick is...
Old 02-11-13, 09:46 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

again, you are in the ES section. We drive ES's, you need to ask this question in the GS section to people who own and work on GS's, because they'll know what to do.

Typically they just pop off or have retaining clips that need to be removed. If you're not comfortable figuring out how to remove plastic engine covers I'd strongly recommend against working on this car yourself. Find a trusted mechanic and let them do the work.
Old 02-12-13, 03:53 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by frf16drvr
The left front low beam HID failed on our 2007 ES. I ordered a replacement bulb from Amazon for about $51...dealer price was $222.95. My local mechanic installed it in about 30 seconds and showed me how to do it. It was worth the $15 charge. The 9-step procedure above is exactly right. Good luck.
Are these the replacements?
Amazon Amazon

The driver's side low beam is on about 1/2 the time.

As far as the guy asking about removing the other parts, I'm sort of with him. The 9 step instructions are very clear. It's step 0 (removing the light assembly) that has me stumped.
Old 02-12-13, 04:30 PM
jacobjohn
Driver

Any D4S bulbs will work, but to answer your question, that is NOT the replacement bulb. The stock bulb runs at 4300k while that amazon bulb is running at 8000k, which is pretty blue/purplish (if its rated correctly).

Edit: These are the replacement bulbs. Back in the day Lexus would use Philips bulbs. but they are now using Toshiba bulbs. Look at the reviews to confirm.
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-D4S-Xenon-Bulbs-Toyota/dp/B004CP40LE/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1360715916&sr=1-3&keywords=philips+d4s http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-D4S-Xenon-Bulbs-Toyota/dp/B004CP40LE/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1360715916&sr=1-3&keywords=philips+d4s

Last edited by jacobjohn; 02-12-13 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-13-13, 10:02 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Thanks for the link. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Back to the 9 steps. How to I access the HID socket cover mentioned in Step 1? Removal of the engine covers is a given. Do I need remove anything else? I'm assuming it is not as involved as this one - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...cs-inside.html
Old 02-13-13, 11:34 PM
jacobjohn
Driver

hahaha, I hope we don't have to remove the bumper as well. I have no clue how to take the headlights out. Would be great info to know though..
i do know that the older model IS's would have to take their bumpers off to do this kind of job.

Last edited by jacobjohn; 02-13-13 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-14-13, 04:17 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I've seen a few postings in this thread where shops did it for $20. Either they are the fastest guys in the world at tearing down a car or I need to dig into the engine bay a little and look. In my Maxima, I just removed the battery to change the driver side light.
Old 02-20-13, 03:37 AM
drosillo
Driver School Candidate

You DO NOT remove the headlight assembly, only the bulb via rear access cap. Just follow the step by step instructions or pay someone to do it for you. BTW, the same pair of Toshiba D4S bulbs were $50 on Amazon just 18 months ago. And be careful not to let the engine cover clips fall into the engine bay, as you'll never retrieve them.
Old 04-20-14, 01:38 PM
bwong
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dreyfus
1. Remove the plastic HID socket cover by turning it counter-clockwise.

2. Remove the silver metal socket fitting attached to the braided cable by turning counter-clockwise about 45 degrees and pulling towards you.

3. There's a U-shaped set spring retainer that has kind of curled circle ends. This holds the bulb assembly in place by locking into notches on either side at roughly 11:00 & 1:00 on the housing. Pinch those two curled ends towards each other and pull them out and down to clear the notches and swing the retainer downward. This will release the bulb in the very center of the unit.

4. Pull the bulb out by it's base. It's about 3" long and comes straight out. Don't touch the glass if you intend to reuse the bulb.

5. The Toyota HID bulb is part # 90981-20024 (for my 2007 ES350).

6. Holding the new bulb by the base and without touching the glass, push the bulb back into the hole. There are notches & tabs in the base and mount that must match. Just rotate the bulb until it catches.

7. Reset the retaining spring by swinging it up and pushing it in while pinching the curled ends a bit. Release the ends when they lock into the metal notches on the housing. Make sure the retainer is secure before proceeding.

8. Reattach the metal socket fitting by pushing in at and turning clockwise 45 degrees from roughly a 10:00 to a 12:00 position.

9. Reattach the plastic cover by turning it clockwise.

That's all there is to it.
Is hard to work on the driver side ? Do I have to move battery etc. to get room working on it ?
Thx.
Bwong
Old 04-20-14, 02:10 PM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

I paid my local shop $20 to replace mine when they were changing the oil. It's been over a year without issue. If the replacement bulbs last as long as the original ones, this will be my only bulb change.
Old 04-22-14, 01:05 PM
bwong
Driver School Candidate

Anyone did change the HID bulb on the driver side which seems not enough room to do bulb replacement ? Take whole light assembly off by removing the bumper or what ? Any input ?
Old 04-23-14, 04:22 PM
CDNlexES
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bwong
Anyone did change the HID bulb on the driver side which seems not enough room to do bulb replacement ? Take whole light assembly off by removing the bumper or what ? Any input ?
no need to take out anything. but it's not easy depending on how big/small your hands are. sometimes the frustrating part is to properly 'seat' the bulb considering that you should not touch the glass portion of it. if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, there are shops who would do it for $20.
Old 10-28-17, 01:22 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by bwong
I just did this a year after my passenger side went. I have big hands and removed the battery and the fuse cover. After u take the plastic cover off, notice that the bulb assy swivels making it easy to remove the silver socket and then unclip the two clips holding the bulb in, thn remove bulb. Easy peesey. To install dont forget to install/seat the bulb only first, then clip the clips, then plug/lock in the silver socket.

If you put the bulb in the silver socket and try to seat it, it will not work DAMHIK

Thanks again Dreyfus
Old 05-24-18, 04:55 AM
salvojimmy
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just to clarify, does the 9 step procedure work for a 2008 ES 350. Just noticed I need to replace the passenger side low beam. Want to do it myself.

About a year ago during state inspection at dealer, driver side was out. Told them to replace it, never thinking it was more than about $100. $50 bulb, $50 labor. Didn’t want failed inspection and need to return for reinspect if I did it. $226 was the charge. Seems a bit much even with the battery, but maybe they removed it.

BTW these are the first replacements and the wife (her car) drives with the low beams on all the time.
Old 05-24-18, 04:58 AM
salvojimmy
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just to clarify, does the 9 step procedure work for a 2008 ES 350. Just noticed I need to replace the passenger side low beam. Want to do it myself.

About a year ago during state inspection at dealer, driver side was out. Told them to replace it, never thinking it was more than about $100. $50 bulb, $50 labor. Didn’t want failed inspection and need to return for reinspect if I did it. $226 was the charge. Seems a bit much even with the battery, but maybe they removed it.

BTW these are the first replacements and the wife (her car) drives with the low beams on all the time.

OBTW, invoice shows $9 labor, $217 for the bulb. Now that’s some profit margin on parts.

Last edited by salvojimmy; 05-24-18 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Addition

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID headlight replacement