ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Replace Air Filter under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-10, 04:53 PM
atlbrad3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Air Filter under the hood

Does anyone know how to replace the air filter in an 07 es350? NOT the cabin air filter. I'm talking about the actual air filter under the hood.

Thanks
Old 12-13-10, 06:05 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus. I haven't done it for a while but my recollection is that you remove as many of the plastic covers as needed and then you will find the air filter housing with maybe three retaining fasteners. Remove these and with care separate the filter housing and replace the air filter. It is kind of a tight fit but I don't think I ever had to remove anything else - just use care and don't force anything.

Removing the covers involves removing several fasteners and is done by pressing in on the center pin to release the fastener. It is not uncommon to either lose or break a couple of these and you can obtain new ones from your dealer - for free if they are in a Christmas mood.

Good luck.

Dave Mac
Old 12-14-10, 04:04 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

With everything hidden underneath the plastic, it is very easy to forget to check / change the air filter. Will check mine today / thanks for the reminder.
Old 12-14-10, 04:20 AM
atlbrad3
Driver School Candidate

Where is the center pin to remove the fasteners?
Old 12-14-10, 06:56 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

You will see it right in the center of the fastener - just push down on it to release the fastener. Once you remove the first one, look at it and you will see how it functions. It can be done with your finger but I usually find it easier to use a small screwdriver or some other tool.

Dave Mac
Old 12-14-10, 07:11 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I believe there are pictures or diagrams in the owners manual on how to remove the clips.
Old 12-14-10, 12:05 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I believe there are pictures or diagrams in the owners manual on how to remove the clips.
+1!!

While I haven't looked on how to do this particular thing, the manual seems pretty comprehensive when it comes to this stuff.

So many of my little clips are busted off - they seem pretty fragile, or at least brittle. Been meaning to go to the auto parts store to find an alternate to the overpriced Lexus clips.
Old 12-15-10, 09:55 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I always use OEM filters. Our cabin air filter is part # 87139-07010. If you buy from my Lexus dealer here in Raleigh the cost is $48. The same part number from the local Toyota dealer is $35. I've seen it online for as low as $28. Same part, same OEM Toyota box.

Disclaimer: My 2007 ES350 has a slightly different shroud design and different push-button connectors than the newer models do. The basics are the same, though.

First you have to take off the upper right plastic shroud. Us a phillips-head screwdriver or a pen or whatever to push the center button on the seven round connectors holding it to the engine compartment. The '08 model connectors can be pushed open with your finger. Remove and set aside.

Pop off the rectangular shroud piece by the right hood hydraulic arm and set aside.

Lift out the shroud and set aside. It slides out from under the front shroud.

You'll see the horizontal square air filter box just to the front & left of the brake fluid reservoir. It actually isn't square - it has one of the corners cut off, but you can't see the missing corner from above. The box has three leaf-spring clips that you press and lever open. The box is two pieces, with the lid hinged together on the angle side pointing towards the passenger seat. You'll have to lift up the lid and slide the filter out towards the driver-side headlight. It's a bit tricky as the various connections prevent the lid from opening very far.

Slide the new filter in. Again, the space is tight. I had to turn it after sliding it into the box. Press the filter then the lid down all around so there's a good, tight seal and clip it shut. The three clips should be quite tight. Make sure that the lid doesn't come off the box at the hinge in the back. Mine did and I had to spend a bit of effort to get it all properly reseated.

Put the shroud back on, tucking the front end under the front shroud.

Reset the seven round connectors. Make sure the button is pushed down, then gently open up the prongs while pushing them back in. The button will pop up.

Replace all the connectors and press the button in to lock them in place.

Snap in the rectangular shroud cover by the hood arm.

Record the date and mileage in your maintenance log.

I don't know what the dealer would charge for this, but whatever it is is more than I charged myself.
Old 04-24-11, 07:04 PM
lanb
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thanks and why oh why ?

Thanks Dreyfus for the detailed instructions. Helped a lot.

Why did Toyota have to make this so hard ? Why oh Why ?

Also I never found the instructions in the user manual. Just found inst. for
the air conditioning filter.
Old 04-27-11, 03:02 AM
ekwlee
Pole Position

we should make a sticky with the common part numbers for the replacement parts like the air filter, oil filter, washer, etc..
Old 05-18-11, 09:35 AM
dlin95123
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How often should one replace this engine air filter? Thanks.
Old 05-30-11, 05:22 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dlin95123
How often should one replace this engine air filter? Thanks.
I just ordered a K&N Reuseable Air Filter for our '10 ES.
Our otheer vehicles appear to get a bump in gas mileage with it.

Change interval tends to depend on driving conditions, but Typically about 20K miles, not sure but I think the manual/desaler recommends to change @ 30K miles
Old 06-02-11, 12:56 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

You really can't go wrong with K&N air filters. They come with a great warranty, are easy to install and are legal in all 50 US states.