ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Ignition coil malfunction, misfire in all 6 cylinders.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-10, 05:16 AM
SickES350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Ignition coil malfunction, misfire in all 6 cylinders.

started up my car the other night and my engine light came on, trac light came on... VSC msg came on the dash, engine was rough idling. i drove it home after checking my fluids... i took the OBD scanner to see whats going on, hoping i just need a battery change. codes popped up P0354, P0300-0306. basically ignition coil malfunction, and my cylinders were misfiring. im at 62k miles and warranty crapped out at 50k. the problem was obviously electric, since all 6 were misfiring, otherwise it would only be a few. i havent had any engine work, i just recently did a proper oil change at home(royal purple 5W30), which i've done since i've had the car in 07.. i took the car to the dealership for the CPU reprograming for the recall in april.

about to take the car back to get it checked up on and fixed.. has anyone else had this problem? if so, maybe it could be grounds for another recall/ warranty issue.

i am lowered on coilovers and 20" rims, which gives it a rough ride, but i dont think it would cause this problem. i dont track/race the car and i drive it relatively civilized.

lowered since 30k miles and 20"rims since 50k miles.

any ideas on what couldve gone wrong? timing off etc... i pulled my engine cover to check the connection points for the coils, all seems fine, no corrosion on the grounding points. i was only able to check the front 3 coils, the other 3 were hidden in the back and i wasnt able to look at them. i assume they should be fine as well..
Old 09-18-10, 01:55 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Such a bummer!

This points to purely an electronic failure. It could be anywhere in the curcuit so the only thing to do is take it to the dealer and pray it won't cost you a year's salary.

I just changed my oil today at 85,174 miles. No ignition problems to date.
Old 09-18-10, 08:12 PM
SickES350
Pole Position

got a call from longo... $300 to change 1 faulty ignition coil... #4 coil, middle rear set.. stupid car computer throwing up codes saying everything was going bad.. whats the use of having individual codes, if all of them go off if one is bad.. >=[.. that was a $90 part i could've easily replaced myself.

$135 for diagnosis fee, $93 for new coil.... the rest for labor..
Old 09-19-10, 04:11 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On my previous '04 Lincoln LS, to change a coil was a high labor charge as the intake manifold needed to be removed, even to change just one. At that point, it was better to change them all. Looking at $300+ just for labor in that application plus the cost of six coils.
Old 09-19-10, 05:07 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Well my friend called it. He is a tech at our local Lexus Dealer. Ran into him yesterday and told him about your post. He said if one coil goes bad it can cause all cylinders to misfire.

Lexus is sure proud of their work arn't they?
Old 09-21-10, 07:22 AM
swiftscsi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem although my code was P0355, which was coil 5 so I would bet that yours is coil 4.
"P0355" means ignition coil 5 is bad. Try switching the Coil 4 with one of the other coils, clear the codes and then rescan once the error pops back up. If the code changes to something else, that confirms that coil 4 is the problem.
In my case I switched coil 5 for coil 6. This changed my error code from "P0355" to "P0356". As far as the check VSC and traction light. I noticed that these signals were triggered whenever the car missfired. So I think that since the missfiring vibrated the car, it tripped the VSC and traction light. Since changing the coil i have not had anymore warning indecators and it's been about a month. In my case it was only the coil, and it caused the same codes to trigger as yours. I also replaced my spark plugs with Denso's 13.00 each because they were due for a change and just the bad coil for 114.00 from the dealer. Coil 4 should be the front middle coil from what I remember (Double check that Don't have the diagram infront of me) but I'm pretty sure. The front ones are easy to swap, so your lucky. The back are a little tough to get to. For the rear I used a 3" extenstion a universal joint a 6in extention all 3/8 with a standard 3/8 rachet.

Best of luck.

Last edited by swiftscsi; 09-21-10 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-03-10, 12:52 AM
SickES350
Pole Position

dealer fixed it.. replaced coil 4... drove it home, next day codes went up again... brought it back, they fixed everything free of charge. that time it was coil 6. upon driving around afterwards, i noticed my rim was dented. turns out the dealership ran my car though their automated wash... where my rim rubbed up next to the track and got dented. the dealership is paying for the repairs as we speak...
Old 10-03-10, 12:53 AM
SickES350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by swiftscsi
I had the same problem although my code was P0355, which was coil 5 so I would bet that yours is coil 4.
"P0355" means ignition coil 5 is bad. Try switching the Coil 4 with one of the other coils, clear the codes and then rescan once the error pops back up. If the code changes to something else, that confirms that coil 4 is the problem.
In my case I switched coil 5 for coil 6. This changed my error code from "P0355" to "P0356". As far as the check VSC and traction light. I noticed that these signals were triggered whenever the car missfired. So I think that since the missfiring vibrated the car, it tripped the VSC and traction light. Since changing the coil i have not had anymore warning indecators and it's been about a month. In my case it was only the coil, and it caused the same codes to trigger as yours. I also replaced my spark plugs with Denso's 13.00 each because they were due for a change and just the bad coil for 114.00 from the dealer. Coil 4 should be the front middle coil from what I remember (Double check that Don't have the diagram infront of me) but I'm pretty sure. The front ones are easy to swap, so your lucky. The back are a little tough to get to. For the rear I used a 3" extenstion a universal joint a 6in extention all 3/8 with a standard 3/8 rachet.

Best of luck.
coil 4 is the back rear actually i asked the consultant who took care of me.. no clue to where 6 is though...
Old 10-06-10, 02:50 PM
tardorange
Driver

SMG transmission in a ES350 ?
Old 10-08-10, 06:25 AM
micosan
Driver School Candidate

They say Hindsight is 20/20.
The original poster (OP) had a general misfire (P0300), specifically cylinder #6 (P0306). OP had an igniter confirmation error on cylinder #4 (P0354) which I believ has no drivability consequences by itself.

DTC P0300 Random / Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
DTC P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected
DTC P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
DTC P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected
DTC P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected
DTC P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected
DTC P0306 Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected

DTC P0351 Ignition Coil "A" Primary / Secondary Circuit
DTC P0352 Ignition Coil "B" Primary / Secondary Circuit
DTC P0353 Ignition Coil "C" Primary / Secondary Circuit
DTC P0354 Ignition Coil "D" Primary / Secondary Circuit
DTC P0355 Ignition Coil "E" Primary / Secondary Circuit
DTC P0356 Ignition Coil "F" Primary / Secondary Circuit
“A” = No 1 Cylinder “B” = No 2 Cylinder
Attached Thumbnails Ignition coil malfunction, misfire in all 6 cylinders.-cylindernum.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
BoiseReed (07-16-18)
Old 10-09-10, 02:31 AM
SickES350
Pole Position

o wow... that diagram is great!... thanks..
Old 06-20-11, 01:08 PM
Russelltw
Driver School Candidate

Just to add to the discussion:

Rough idle with check engine light blinking.

Codes: p0446 and p0306

Cylinder 6 was misfiring.
Garage replaced ignition coil and works fine now (only driven it a couple miles at this point).

Looking at the diagram above, I could have replaced number 6. Oh well, I will try next time. I am sure it won't be long before I have to replace others.
Old 06-20-11, 05:52 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

When ever you get stacked codes the 1st code is the problem. You fix that problem and erase all of the other codes and start it up and drive it. The 1st problem code starts a chain of events of other sensors failing their normal range.
Old 05-22-13, 06:04 AM
powersj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SickES350
coil 4 is the back rear actually i asked the consultant who took care of me.. no clue to where 6 is though...
Just an F.Y.I., on the 3.5 liter engine cylinder #'s 2,4 and 6 are in the front bank of the engine and you can change any one of those coil packs in two minutes or less (maybe four minutes if it's your first time). Cylinders # 1,3 and 5 are a different story to access these cylinders on the rear bank of the engine the intake must be removed and in the RX350 and the Avalon the entire wiper assembly and housing must be removed first to get the intake off, Haven't done coil packs on an ES yet but I would figure the same is involved with the ES. For some reason these Toyota 3.5 liter motors seem to eat up coil packs.
Old 05-22-13, 07:04 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A note for anyone that runs into this, as it's happened on my 07....just do all 6 coils and plugs. Save yourself the time and annoyance of chasing a misfire through original coils.

Quick Reply: Ignition coil malfunction, misfire in all 6 cylinders.