ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Ignition coil malfunction, misfire in all 6 cylinders.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-14, 01:24 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a CEL and VSC error code code show up last night. No noticeable engine shake but probably some power lag. Checked it with odb, it was P0356, indicating bad coil at cylinder 6 ( thank god).

Ran out, bought the part, went to change it but the code had disappeared on its own. I can't notice any shake or power lag and with winter starting it is hard to tell. Should I change the part or just monitor it for the next few days? Do I risk doing any damage ? Thanks for the help
Old 11-21-14, 10:45 PM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't take a chance of running too long on a misfiring coil. You don't want to send raw fuel into the exhaust and risk clogging up the cat convertors.

I had a intermittent coil warning, that eventually became permanent. Once it shows an intermittent, it generally won't get better or go away.

If you want, keep the new coil and a socket wrench in the glove box. The front coils are so easy to change out.

Last edited by GCL; 11-21-14 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-22-14, 07:22 AM
iceblast
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GCL
I wouldn't take a chance of running too long on a misfiring coil. You don't want to send raw fuel into the exhaust and risk clogging up the cat convertors.

I had a intermittent coil warning, that eventually became permanent. Once it shows an intermittent, it generally won't get better or go away.

If you want, keep the new coil and a socket wrench in the glove box. The front coils are so easy to change out.
OK thanks. Is it possible the coil is actually bad and NOT being detected by the computer anymore?
Old 11-23-14, 02:34 AM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iceblast
OK thanks. Is it possible the coil is actually bad and NOT being detected by the computer anymore?
ODB2 mandated regulations are really tight for emissions/engine controls. It is very unlikely that the codes are not being detected.

Bad coils can be intermittent depending on weather, engine load. On my bad coil you can see the brownish deposits on the outside tube caused be the spark grounding out.
Old 11-23-14, 06:56 PM
iceblast
Pit Crew

My ignition coil continually kept throwing a code every 15 mins or so. Changed it, car works great now.

I am going to be buying 6 coils online to keep on hand (cost me the same price for just one at the parts store! Ugh).

I assume I can still wait until 150miles to change the spark plugs.
Old 04-08-15, 07:21 PM
MONU
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Toyota Sienna P0356, P0300, P0301....P0306

Had check engine light on 2007 Sienna. Dealer just reset the light and sold to me. NO warranty. Went to Auto zone. Parts Quote was $1700. I was expecting about $3000 for complete Autozone listed parts replacement. Came across this. My series of code started with P0356. Bought Ignition coil from Amazon for $30 and Bought Autel scan tool for $30. Replaced ignition coil and reset the Check engine. 200 miles so far. No CEL.. 5 minutes to replace the coil and reset the CEL. Saved a ton of money. Thanks for this thread.. helped me a lot..
Old 05-08-15, 12:48 PM
Offgridmom
Driver School Candidate

THANK YOU! This thread addresses all my issues. My 2005 Avalon was packed full including kids, cats, snake and I was in convoy with friend in over packed truck. New tenant moving in that day and was broke from near foreclosure. 5 minutes out of town engine began to shake/vibrate. Just had an oil change so checked oil. Overfilled. Drained some and had no choice but to keep driving and pray for 600 miles! Engine light and VSC illuminated, motor intermittently shaking and fuel seemed to cut out when accelerating but made it home with white knuckles. After months of no money for mechanic and starting engine only to keep rodents out I decided to brave fixing it myself. Internet search led to either o2 censors or ignition coils. Parts store diagnostic machine gave 33 codes!! 6 cylinders misfiring 3x each plus malfunctions. Started simple with oil change, air filter and plugs. Needed hex tool to reach back 3 plugs so disconnected battery to clear codes and back to store 1 hr each way. Just one code p0355 this time and found this thread and instructions on trouble shooting wiring in case issue is elsewhere. This thread puts puzzle together- all misfires from one bad coil, tripped VSC light, fuel injector fails and high number of codes. Bought a coil and ordering socket hex wrench online since they were out of stock. (Thanks for diagram of cylinders!!)Fingers crossed that coil replacement fixes issues! Sorry for long post, but I feel whole story highlights depth of my gratitude. I'm avid DIYer but haven't touched a car in 20yrs cuz intimidating tech advancements. Feeling empowered and hopeful now and making for a great unschool project with kids!! Thanks again to all posters in this thread!!
Old 05-09-15, 03:58 PM
Darqscorpi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SickES350
started up my car the other night and my engine light came on, trac light came on... VSC msg came on the dash, engine was rough idling. i drove it home after checking my fluids... i took the OBD scanner to see whats going on, hoping i just need a battery change. codes popped up P0354, P0300-0306. basically ignition coil malfunction, and my cylinders were misfiring. im at 62k miles and warranty crapped out at 50k. the problem was obviously electric, since all 6 were misfiring, otherwise it would only be a few. i havent had any engine work, i just recently did a proper oil change at home(royal purple 5W30), which i've done since i've had the car in 07.. i took the car to the dealership for the CPU reprograming for the recall in april.

about to take the car back to get it checked up on and fixed.. has anyone else had this problem? if so, maybe it could be grounds for another recall/ warranty issue.

i am lowered on coilovers and 20" rims, which gives it a rough ride, but i dont think it would cause this problem. i dont track/race the car and i drive it relatively civilized.

lowered since 30k miles and 20"rims since 50k miles.

any ideas on what couldve gone wrong? timing off etc... i pulled my engine cover to check the connection points for the coils, all seems fine, no corrosion on the grounding points. i was only able to check the front 3 coils, the other 3 were hidden in the back and i wasnt able to look at them. i assume they should be fine as well..
Having the same problem with my 2007 ES. I was wondering where I can find the info on the CPU reflash. I went to Lexus website and the NTSB website and did not see anything about that. I have replace some of my coilpacks and in the process of replacing all of them. I replaced the
Engine Variable Timing Solenoid and still have all of the same error codes. HELP
Old 05-09-15, 09:52 PM
YolosES350
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=SickES350;5798078]has anyone else had this problem? if so, maybe it could be grounds for another recall/ warranty issue.

We went out yesterday to take the ES350 to Jiffy Lube just to check the oil level and tire pressure. I watch them and asked if they could check the spare too? They ended up overfilling all tires including the spare. They also added windshield wiper fluid. That was it... (no charge). As we left my dash lit up like a xmas tree... My check engine light came on, Trac light came on... VSC msg came on the dash and the engine was idling okay but I could tell something was up. It had a weird little intermittent flutter. Drove back to Jiffy Lube and asked could they have done something... they said NO.

Today we hit the ground running and checked with you guys here at Lexus Club to narrowed down the problem. This car is a 2007 in mint like condition it was bought in 2008 with 45k on it. Today it has 63k so you can tell it is barely driven.

We took it back to Jiffy lube again and ask them to walk me through what they did. The tech told me about the 40 psi then... Thought I had the answer. Went to auto parts store and got a tire gauge and reduces all pressure to 33 psi (I have aftermarket 20' wheels on the car as well) Also checked gas cap and it looked okay.

Drove to a mechanic friend and it was put on the smaller diagnostic (sorry did not write down code) but it pointed to ignition coil... Took it to another auto shop and asked to turn off the warning lights (they did no charge) But said the problem was in the engine and bring it in if the lights came back on.

Less than a mile later, I had all the warning lights back and we were off to the dealership. They saw me right away and replaced the ignition coil (center front) reset all warning lights and checked tire pressure. Part $100 including Diag / Labor. I had a coupon and saved some money. The car Gods were smiling on me today!

The dealership said, "other coils might fail and keep an eye on it." That was our car fixing adventure today. I'm just glad it wasn't something super expensive! We love our car... Hope this helps! I guess you could buy one coil and swap them out to see if you can find the bad one.

Last edited by YolosES350; 05-09-15 at 10:43 PM. Reason: error
Old 05-01-16, 02:52 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

Got a P0356 code reading after the VSC and Engine light went on. That's the #6 coil. Paid $85 for an AutoZone lifetime warranted coil. Going rate on Amazon for brand name is $58. Extra $25 for lifetime warranty was worth it. Wife's ES350 has 180K; so, may change all 3 in the rear bank at 200k when I change the spark plugs.
The following users liked this post:
BoiseReed (07-16-18)
Old 07-16-18, 02:40 PM
BoiseReed
Driver School Candidate

2007 RX350. About to leave town in 100 degree heat. VSC and Engine light on. Engine running rough. Autozone ran codes and showed all cylinders misfiring. Code P0356 pointed to 6 cylinder front right ignition coil. Disconnected coil and no change in engine. Bought part #085081 C1601 Duralast Ignition Coil for $97.99. Removed single bolt and replaced with new ignition coil. Cleared codes. No additional codes. Drove 400 miles last night no problems.
Old 12-14-21, 03:55 PM
hotpants31
Driver School Candidate

Default Royal Purple too huh

Originally Posted by SickES350
started up my car the other night and my engine light came on, trac light came on... VSC msg came on the dash, engine was rough idling. i drove it home after checking my fluids... i took the OBD scanner to see whats going on, hoping i just need a battery change. codes popped up P0354, P0300-0306. basically ignition coil malfunction, and my cylinders were misfiring. im at 62k miles and warranty crapped out at 50k. the problem was obviously electric, since all 6 were misfiring, otherwise it would only be a few. i havent had any engine work, i just recently did a proper oil change at home(royal purple 5W30), which i've done since i've had the car in 07.. i took the car to the dealership for the CPU reprograming for the recall in april.

about to take the car back to get it checked up on and fixed.. has anyone else had this problem? if so, maybe it could be grounds for another recall/ warranty issue.

i am lowered on coilovers and 20" rims, which gives it a rough ride, but i dont think it would cause this problem. i dont track/race the car and i drive it relatively civilized.

lowered since 30k miles and 20"rims since 50k miles.

any ideas on what couldve gone wrong? timing off etc... i pulled my engine cover to check the connection points for the coils, all seems fine, no corrosion on the grounding points. i was only able to check the front 3 coils, the other 3 were hidden in the back and i wasnt able to look at them. i assume they should be fine as well..

I just did an oil change with the same royal purple stuff and now I’m misfiring too.. strange coincidence
Old 12-14-21, 06:54 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by hotpants31
I just did an oil change with the same royal purple stuff and now I’m misfiring too.. strange coincidence
oil does not touch coils, must be a coincidence.