ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

rattle in driver's side window

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-10, 05:12 PM
stberger
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattle in driver's side window

Would be very interested in any fixes known for an annoying, recurring drivers side window/upper door frame rattle in my 2008 ES 350, occurs when going over bumps, uneven roads, or sometimes with just normal driving. Intermittent, but very common. Have had dealer address this and they replaced the "glass run" on that side, but rattle returned within a few days. Will try some silicon spray to dampen it, but seems like there is some flaw when the window is full up to door frame that produces this ticking rattle- can eliminate it by lowering the window an inch so that it does not insert into door frame. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-12-10, 10:34 PM
savon
Rookie

Originally Posted by stberger
Would be very interested in any fixes known for an annoying, recurring drivers side window/upper door frame rattle in my 2008 ES 350, occurs when going over bumps, uneven roads, or sometimes with just normal driving. Intermittent, but very common. Have had dealer address this and they replaced the "glass run" on that side, but rattle returned within a few days. Will try some silicon spray to dampen it, but seems like there is some flaw when the window is full up to door frame that produces this ticking rattle- can eliminate it by lowering the window an inch so that it does not insert into door frame. Any help would be appreciated.
I had exact same problem when I bought my car new. The dealer wasn't able to fix it (they opened the door panel, seatbelt retractor with no result) and it was driving me crazy for a whole month. Then I read in IS forum somebody had the same problem and dealer was able to fix it by adjusting the door latch. So I took my car back with printed copy of the thread and asked them to look into it. Next day they fixed it. I think yours is exactly what I experienced. You may want ask your dealer to look into this if nothing else works.
Old 01-13-11, 04:10 PM
stberger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by savon
I had exact same problem when I bought my car new. The dealer wasn't able to fix it (they opened the door panel, seatbelt retractor with no result) and it was driving me crazy for a whole month. Then I read in IS forum somebody had the same problem and dealer was able to fix it by adjusting the door latch. So I took my car back with printed copy of the thread and asked them to look into it. Next day they fixed it. I think yours is exactly what I experienced. You may want ask your dealer to look into this if nothing else works.
Just seeing this now- adjusting the door latch fixed the window rattle when window full up? Just trying to understand how this might work. Do you copy of repair ticket for that fix that you could share or email to me (stberger1@gmail.com) and I can share that with my dealer? I have tried every measure of felt tape, etc to dampen this, but nothing works. Thanks.
Old 01-13-11, 05:16 PM
lauderdale
Driver School Candidate

I am having the same rattle in my 2008 ES350. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-11, 09:36 AM
stberger
Driver School Candidate

Default ES 350 driver's window rattle

Originally Posted by lauderdale
I am having the same rattle in my 2008 ES350. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I have not yet checked with dealer about door latch as possible cause- have "dealer fatigue" trying to get them to fix this without ever really nailing it. But, have muted it quite well doing the following: buy a roll of velcro peel back self stick tape, ~1/2 inch thick. Place this across entire inner panel where driver's window goes up into outer door frame. Will need about 2.5 feet of this stuff to cover it, and make sure it covers almost all of the black plastic across full window diameter. This seems to have eliminated rattle for now, since must be poor apposition of window to door frame, and when materials contract in cold, it rattles. When lower window, you'll see the velcro, but its black and blends in quite well with black plastic.
Old 12-27-13, 07:06 AM
iMpromptu
Driver School Candidate

Having the same issue with my new CT200h. It's driving me CRAZY! I will try the Velcro trick today because I'm running out of patience.
Old 12-31-13, 07:31 AM
greenchile
Driver School Candidate

Can you post a picture of your fix because I'm having a hard time vizualizing what you are explaining?
Old 01-06-14, 05:52 AM
stberger
Driver School Candidate

Default rattle

Unfortunately, the vehicle is no longer with me, so can't post a picture. Basically, used a thin black velcro roll purchased at any hardware store. Trimmed it thin with scissors, and then pushed it up into door frame where window comes up into. It provides a cushion for the glass such that the rattle is muted. Hope this helps.
Old 03-09-22, 04:18 AM
MoorLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine just started doing this. 2008 ES350. I purchased the car in December. It started the rattle yesterday.
Old 03-09-22, 05:20 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

This is common in Sienna's and the usual fix is to add a washer or 2 to the lower left bolt for the window mechanism. Apparently, the window lift arms may rub when the window is fully up and the washer allows more space. You can test by seeing if the rattle is gone when the window is lowered a couple of inches and driving over the same road area.
Others have fixed it with velcro etc as described above.
Most Toyota/Lexus vehicles use a very similar window lift design.