ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Vibration while idle on 2007 ES350

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-10, 10:52 AM
davidj01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration while idle on 2007 ES350

Hi there - I just got a new CPO ES350 - drives great - EXCEPT for one thing.... While in idle, the car seems to vibrate. It isn't terrible and I am sure its something I could adapt to if necessary, but it seems odd to me.

I also have a 2004 GS300 with over 90K miles on it and it doesn't vibrate one bit while on idle. I find it hard to believe that a newer car with only 21K miles would have this issue.

Has anyone out there experienced this? Any advise on how to fix? If there is a fix, is it covered under the CPO warranty?

Thanks!

David
Old 09-08-10, 10:53 AM
jrj102
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search for "piston slap" in this forum. Unfortunately, Lexus claims this behavior is within specifications. Typically happens only when engine is cold on my ES.
Old 09-08-10, 12:24 PM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Originally Posted by jrj102
Do a search for "piston slap" in this forum. Unfortunately, Lexus claims this behavior is within specifications. Typically happens only when engine is cold on my ES.
"Piston slap" is more of a noise than vibration.
Why not take this to the dealer? Your car is still under warranty, right?
Old 09-09-10, 09:08 AM
jrj102
Rookie

Is typically both(though mostly reported as noise.) vibration absent noise would more likely be motor mounts. Zhivuyatut is right, though-- nothing to lose taking it to the dealer instead of relying purely on armchair mechanics like us who haven't inspected your vehicle.
Old 09-14-10, 10:17 AM
saintsaens
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone else have this ridiculous idle vibration issue?

We have an 08 ES350 produced after the VIN cutoff with the same problem. I brought it into the dealer who replaced the engine mounts anyway, but the vibration is still present.

I was told by the service rep that there was a previous customer with the same issues, and had the exhaust and multiple other components replaced without help. Apparently they even flew someone in from Lexus HQ who could not diagnose the issue.

They are now basically blaming it on "normal operation" of the car - which is unacceptable given the class of car and price.

Does anyone have other experiences to share or ideas?
Old 09-14-10, 07:53 PM
pestleman0
Driver

Originally Posted by saintsaens
Does anyone else have this ridiculous idle vibration issue?

We have an 08 ES350 produced after the VIN cutoff with the same problem. I brought it into the dealer who replaced the engine mounts anyway, but the vibration is still present.

I was told by the service rep that there was a previous customer with the same issues, and had the exhaust and multiple other components replaced without help. Apparently they even flew someone in from Lexus HQ who could not diagnose the issue.

They are now basically blaming it on "normal operation" of the car - which is unacceptable given the class of car and price.

Does anyone have other experiences to share or ideas?
Yes, that is correct. You paid this amount to have a vibrating car that "performs as designed." Had my mount replaced as well with no fix. I just deal with it. Embarrassing.
Old 09-15-10, 09:27 AM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

The vibration in the steering wheel, dash, seat, etc is "normal". It's unrelated to whether the engine is warm or the piston slap issue. I had an 07 ES350 with that issue. Some older ones were covered by a TSB that indicated a faulty active motor mount that needed to be replaced. The dealer replaced the motor mount on mine at my request even though my VIN indicated my car was built after the corrective production change. It made no difference.
Old 09-22-10, 08:41 AM
calexs
Driver School Candidate

I have the same exact issue on my 08 ES350. I brought it to the dealer and they said it was functioning properly. It is really bad that a 35k car can have that issue. It happens when in drive at a complete stop, such as a stop light. It doesn't happen all the time but it happens more often then not. If it is neutral or park its fine because its not in gear. It's really annoying because its subtle enough for the dealer not to repair but just enough for me to notice . I have never seen another V6 that rough in idle. I was in my friends 08 V6 accord and his car was smooth at idle. I will pay attention to this issue before I buy another ES. Other than that issue I've had no problems with my car.
Old 09-22-10, 02:43 PM
Elex
Driver School Candidate

I too have had this vibration/drown noise on my '07 since about 12 - 15k miles (winter '07-'08 timeframe). First I was told it was the winter fuel mix at the time and then when it didn't go away with the summer fuel mix I persued further and found the TSB for the active motor mount. I had to take the TSB into the dealer #2 and they acted as if I was the only person having this issue. The active engine mount made little to no difference.

Have been 3 different dealers about this issue - and other issues including the transmission shudder.

Dealer no. 3 that I have talked with, and witnessed the car doing this says that the frame of the car twists and causes the engine to shake - and that every car does this. Mind you this was on a major highway (U.S. 30 in Merrillville) with about as flat of slab of concrete as you could ask for. I just looked at the service guy in disbelief.

So 3 different dealers and a complaint letter to Lexus and I have gotten no where. The Lexus corporate was interesting as well as they went back to the dealers and they all said they couldn't duplicate the problem so Lexus corporate says they can't do anything.

I understand everyone's frustration with this - It's now to the point that every less expensive rental car I drive I am impressed with the smoothness of the engines at idle.

This seems to just be limited to the '07's and '08's - I haven't heard anyone complain about a '09 or '10 doing this (maybe they're just too new and the problem hasn't developed yet or is it been fixed with a production change?)
Old 01-28-17, 08:20 AM
jonrocklin
4th Gear

Default Motor Mount Replacement Vibration ES300 '02

Has anyone had similar experience getting vibration after replacing motor mounts on an ES 300 '02. Was told all 4 were replaced. Have taken it to otherwise reliable mechanic 3x following replacement w/o satisfactory results- suspect generic parts as the total job was $1400 less than Lexus dealer. Vibration is now barely perceptible - can feel it on gas pedal when accelerating and on steering wheel when stopped in gear or in neutral - no difference. Mechanic says he changed the L & R sides again - some improvement, but still there. Primary question - will this vibration cause other problems eventually, wearing out parts sooner, etc, or is it just something I'll have to live with as a minor irritant? Will it go away after driving another 500 - 1000 miles? Now have 118,000 miles on it. Angry that I spent $700 & vibration is something new. Would be grateful for any information. Thanx.