Nav Package or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-10, 08:54 AM
davidj01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Nav Package or Not?

Hi there!

I am new to the forum, I am looking at purchassing a CPO 2007 ES350. Here is the dilema:

The NAV package - which includes ventilated seats, rear sunshade, etc. is an extra $3,000. (there are two cars one with NAV and one without)

While reading posts on this site, I find several people complain about issues with the NAV as well as the inability to use it while driving, etc.

Any advise? Are all the extra features worth the $3K or is it just a bunch of bells and whistles? Also, do you see any of that money back in private sale / trade in?

Advise / thoughts / opinions much apprecaited!

Thanks,

David
Old 08-25-10, 09:11 AM
jimmyford1
Driver

The nav and back-up camera are nice, but only you can decide if there's 3k of value. Does the non-nav vehicle have the heated/ventilated seats? If not, it won't have the HID headlights either. You will enjoy the vehicle more with the options.
Old 08-25-10, 09:29 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

I agree. The options are nice for me. I like the vented seats and the HID headlights particularly.

The Nav is nice as long as you know where you want to go before you leave. You can't decide to find a certain restaurant while going 70 on the highway. Still, I like it when I'm on a road trip as it is easy to find places I want to get to.
Old 08-25-10, 10:15 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Get the Nav, you'll probably regret it if you don't.
Old 08-25-10, 11:22 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't get the Nav and all the other options, you might as well get a Camry XLE V6 IMHO. In fact, I kind of like the Camry SE V6 quite a bit but you can't even get auto climate control in that model!

The things that are locked out in the Nav aren't things you'll use all the time. I personally like the graphics for the radio, hands free phone and many of the menus you see on the screen. It has maintenance reminders and some other things too.

The LCD displays you get w/o the Nav screen looks kinda cheesy, especially for this kind of car IMHO.

If the car has the Premium Plus package - you get a whole bunch of other goodies. I really like the Park assist and rear sunshade along with the dual memory seats and rain sensing wipers. The swivel headlights are pretty slick too.
Old 08-25-10, 01:15 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Base models are base models. They don't sell well on the used market because very few people want them. The point of buying a used car is to get more for your money, so why wouldn't you get most, if not every option offered on the car if buying used? If you can negotiate, that $3000 difference between a base and a well optioned car will be $0.
Also, don't limit yourself to what ONE dealer HAPPENS to have in-stock. That is a terrible way to buy a car. Open your search up to several dealers and private sellers. Remember, a CPO car is nothing more then a trade-in and/or lease auction buy that may or may not have passed an inspection, got an extended warranty, and got its priced jack up! You can make your own CPO car for less on the private market and you can get a car with the highly desirable ultra luxury package.
If the car you are looking at does not have; HID headlamps, Nav/back-up cam/heated/cooled seats, parking sensors and bluetooth........ do not buy it. Those are the options that people expect on this caliber of car.
Old 08-25-10, 01:50 PM
lgb0250
Intermediate

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

It's entirely up to what you really want. If you buy an option just because you think it will help your resale value or someone else tells you to, you're just wasting money IMO.

Don't need the HID if you don't drive at night. As far as the NAV, why spend at least $2K extra for an item that can be bought as a hand held for $200. Not only was the hand held cheaper but I can use it while I'm on the road and not have to pull over to program it. I made sure that I had the heated/cooled seats, parking sensors and bluetooth, because they were important to me.

Do what makes you feel right. Good luck.
Old 08-25-10, 02:11 PM
Shonk007
Driver School Candidate

I'd say go with the NAV pkg, which you'll appreciate the ventilated seats being that your in Florida. Also, you've got much more room for negoating when dealing with a used car. You should be able to get the car with the NAV pkg for about the same price your offering for the other one. Stand firm on you offer.
Old 08-26-10, 09:51 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by k9shelly1
I agree. The options are nice for me. I like the vented seats and the HID headlights particularly.

The Nav is nice as long as you know where you want to go before you leave. You can't decide to find a certain restaurant while going 70 on the highway. Still, I like it when I'm on a road trip as it is easy to find places I want to get to.
I like all these options and use them on both my IS and ES
Old 08-26-10, 03:06 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have these options on our Ultra 2007. If this car also has the Mark Levinson sound system, then, in my opinion of living with these options, go for it as you may regret not having these options later. Also opt for the Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty.
Old 08-26-10, 06:29 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

I can relay my experiences. I have nav on my ISF, my wife does not on her ES. IMHO, this is one of the BIGGEST mistakes I've ever made in my marriage. I bought her car a month before mine. I did not want the Nav, because we both use VZ Navigator on our cell phones. I could not get my car without that option. I still use VZ Navigator, but I find the nav. helpful when driving around just to have that map displayed. When my wife and I go out, and I back out of the garage, she'll invariably remind me that she doesn't have a back-up camera. Even though she's right, I'm really tired of hearing her say it. Again, a BIG MISTAKE on my part.

Lou
Old 08-30-10, 03:52 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

get the Navi if you can afford it, it's a nice feature.
Old 08-30-10, 11:33 AM
bearone
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2009 ES350 with NAV, back up camera,HDI lights,sun shade and all. This is my second Lexus with Nav and I would not trade them for anything it's easier than than putting up and taking down a portable NAV system every time you get in or out of the car.
Old 08-30-10, 01:57 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, a luxury car should have it all, so i always add all the options and get ruined.
Old 09-06-10, 10:56 AM
dpmarshall
Driver School Candidate

Don't forget aftermarket parts. IMO they can save you nice buck, and serve their purpose well.. I just picked up this OEM nav/media system for my es350 (albeit I have the fancy seats and addons, but it came without nav).

http://www.autodvdgps.com/lexus-es35...pms-p-554.html

Quick Reply: Nav Package or Not?