ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

XM renewal

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-10, 10:41 AM
Jagmeister
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM renewal

I realize there are several of these threads in other sections but I wanted to pass on my experience. My trial period ran out last month. XM sales personnel called me several times trying to get me to purchase a full price package. I kept telling them it was too expensive hoping they would offer me the $77 deal. Finally, about 30 days after my trial expires they call me back and solicit me to renew. I again tell them it's too expensive and the girl immediately offers me the $77 deal. Somehow I knew they would eventually offer it to me if I waited long enough.
Old 08-13-10, 12:17 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagmeister
I realize there are several of these threads in other sections but I wanted to pass on my experience. My trial period ran out last month. XM sales personnel called me several times trying to get me to purchase a full price package. I kept telling them it was too expensive hoping they would offer me the $77 deal. Finally, about 30 days after my trial expires they call me back and solicit me to renew. I again tell them it's too expensive and the girl immediately offers me the $77 deal. Somehow I knew they would eventually offer it to me if I waited long enough.
Thanks for the information. Did you bring up the $77 deal or did they?

I renewed for 3 months after my initial trial period. I'm letting it expire next week and will hold out for the better offer. I like it OK, but it is too expensive for what we get out of it.
Old 08-13-10, 04:09 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Once your account gets handed over to the retention dept, they will normally start upping the offers until you bite and take one. They do not want to loose a customer. I turned down the $77 offer simply because my receiver was dying and I wanted to get Sirius anyway, thinking I would just cancel. They then threw a $20 for 5 months deal at me and I said, oh well..... I'll live with this pile of junk receiver for another 5 months for that price. I was able to get it twice, for a total of 10 months, before my receiver died.
Old 08-13-10, 06:32 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Does anyone know if they offer deals on Traffic and Weather? I rarely use either, but it is fun to play with them when on a trip.
Old 08-13-10, 07:08 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Thanks for the information. Did you bring up the $77 deal or did they?

I renewed for 3 months after my initial trial period. I'm letting it expire next week and will hold out for the better offer. I like it OK, but it is too expensive for what we get out of it.
I went at it , in a different angle....had heard you could negotiate the rights fees ( additional chg ) that is part of monthly plan. Anyway I used the 3 yr disc level and obtained 36 mos for 260-265.00 total and am locked in of course. Just imo not worth the hassle every year...cause I was also told you can make them give for $ 77.00/ yr but wont be guarantee this rate after 12 months. Anyway after running the numbers I pulled the trigger on 36 mos and happy I did,,use Satellite quite a bit...did not get weather/traffic. Here in Houston it's HOT/CONGESTED !
Old 08-13-10, 07:09 PM
Richard95
Rookie

Does anyone know if they offer deals on Traffic and Weather? I rarely use either, but it is fun to play with them when on a trip.
Yes, I got a discount, but I forgot how much. Not as low as $77 which I was able to obtain on a previous car.
Old 08-23-10, 01:19 PM
Jagmeister
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=LexBob2;5713155]Thanks for the information. Did you bring up the $77 deal or did they? QUOTE]

She brought it up immediately after I indicated I wasn't planning on buying.
Old 08-23-10, 03:02 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

[QUOTE=Jagmeister;5735965]
Thanks for the information. Did you bring up the $77 deal or did they? QUOTE]

She brought it up immediately after I indicated I wasn't planning on buying.
Check the fine print and I think you will see that the $77 deal will automatically sigh you up for the $149 package after the 6 month period on the $77 deal. I think it's a gimmick so read the small print.
Old 08-23-10, 04:14 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Last week I called to cancel my subscription which was due to expire, and got the 5 months for $20 that miniz mentioned in an earlier post.
Old 08-23-10, 05:50 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Last week I called to cancel my subscription which was due to expire, and got the 5 months for $20 that miniz mentioned in an earlier post.
what will you do after 5 mos....I still feel if it is something you are going to want to have for duration you are better off negotiating the 2-3 yr plan...so its done. Unless you like doing these kind of small time penny stuff alot. After all we are Lexus owners ! Oh well !
Old 08-23-10, 06:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

We use XM so little that I was just going to cancel it anyway. It just isn't of much value to us. The rep on the phone offered the 5/$20. If we get more use out of it, after the 5 months, I'd consider renewing for a longer period. If not, I'll cancel.
Old 08-23-10, 06:34 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

We use XM so little that I was just going to cancel it anyway. It just isn't of much value to us. The rep on the phone offered the 5/$20. If we get more use out of it, after the 5 months, I'd consider renewing for a longer period. If not, I'll cancel.
Point taken. I used mine extensively, so I wanted it locked it longer.
Old 08-24-10, 11:37 AM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JRey350hou
what will you do after 5 mos....I still feel if it is something you are going to want to have for duration you are better off negotiating the 2-3 yr plan...so its done. Unless you like doing these kind of small time penny stuff alot. After all we are Lexus owners ! Oh well !
There is no $4/month 2-3 year contract deal. It would be nice if there was, but 5 for $20 is the best possible deal you can get. I'm always willing to play a little game with them every 5 months to get the entire year for $48. It is worth it. I'm going to start doing it again soon when my new receiver comes in!
Old 08-24-10, 12:00 PM
Jagmeister
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=jagtoes;5736199]
Originally Posted by Jagmeister

Check the fine print and I think you will see that the $77 deal will automatically sigh you up for the $149 package after the 6 month period on the $77 deal. I think it's a gimmick so read the small print.
It automatically renews after 12 months unless cancelled before the expiration of the half-price deal. She actually told me the date I needed to cancel by in order to avoid the automatic charge. In any case, you can cancel even after the charge hits and be refunded the remaining amount.
Old 08-24-10, 03:18 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

XM/Sirius stock is trading at under $1.00 ($.96). It's been as low as $.51 in the past year. I'm sure they will keep offering deals to keep customers.

Hopefully, they'll still be around in 2 -3 years!

Quick Reply: XM renewal