ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES 350 Driver's Side Left Footrest Protection

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-10, 08:17 AM
Akachan LS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES 350 Driver's Side Left Footrest Protection

Sorry if this is a repost. I did a search and was not able to find much on this.

How does everyone keep their left footrest area protected from dirt and soiling? The origninal mats do not protect this area at all.

I currently have WeatherTech floormats in my 08 ES. I am generally satisfied with them except for the lack of protecion for the left footrest area. It only partially protects this area, and my car has the light cashmere carpeting, which shows stains very easily. I have a temporary piece of aluminum foil protecting this area. Are there any better ways to protect this area? Do the Husky liners, or any other liner for that matter, offer more protection for the left footrest area?
Old 06-21-10, 07:20 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Akachan LS
Sorry if this is a repost. I did a search and was not able to find much on this.

How does everyone keep their left footrest area protected from dirt and soiling? The origninal mats do not protect this area at all.

I currently have WeatherTech floormats in my 08 ES. I am generally satisfied with them except for the lack of protecion for the left footrest area. It only partially protects this area, and my car has the light cashmere carpeting, which shows stains very easily. I have a temporary piece of aluminum foil protecting this area. Are there any better ways to protect this area? Do the Husky liners, or any other liner for that matter, offer more protection for the left footrest area?
I have same color. What about a couple of coats of scotchguard?
Old 06-21-10, 07:26 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by dotbowels
I have same color. What about a couple of coats of scotchguard?
That would help. When I had the tan capreted mats in my '07 I'd Scotchguard them a couple of times a year and it helped (somewaht) to keep them clean. I'm liking the charcoal mats in the '10.
Old 06-21-10, 07:59 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I may be reading this wrong but if you are talking about scotchgarding the footrest I wouldn't do it on vinyl and most certainly never armor-all - too slippery. Many, many years ago when scotchgard first was introduced I thought using it on the pedals and even the rubber mats would be a great idea - terrible mistake and it took a while to wear off.

Dave Mac
Old 06-21-10, 08:57 AM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I may be reading this wrong but if you are talking about scotchgarding the footrest I wouldn't do it on vinyl and most certainly never armor-all - too slippery. Many, many years ago when scotchgard first was introduced I thought using it on the pedals and even the rubber mats would be a great idea - terrible mistake and it took a while to wear off.

Dave Mac
Agree on not scotchguarding foot rest. I would do carpet area. I actually have a nice rubber mat on the drivers side so the carpeted mat doesn't get filthy.
Old 06-21-10, 10:52 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I have to correct my last post - it was Armor-All I was referring to, not Scotchgard - but I still wouldn't put it on the vinyl and expect it to do any good.

Dave Mac
Old 06-24-10, 06:00 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Thanks for the help. On all of the Preowned ES 350s I have seen, this footrest area looks so clean. I might just get a floopy thin tan mat, cut out a piece of it to fit the size of the general area in question, and then glue the bottom of it to the bottom portion of my WeatherTech floor liner with a glue gun.
Old 06-24-10, 10:08 PM
Diogenes
Rookie

Originally Posted by Akachan LS
Thanks for the help. On all of the Preowned ES 350s I have seen, this footrest area looks so clean. I might just get a floopy thin tan mat, cut out a piece of it to fit the size of the general area in question, and then glue the bottom of it to the bottom portion of my WeatherTech floor liner with a glue gun.
Try velcro strips rather than a glue gun. Then it will be easy to remove for cleaning...
Old 06-25-10, 08:50 AM
pawolf
Driver School Candidate

Another option would be a small piece of the carpet protection film used in houses when remodeling, etc. It's kind of sticky, but won't leave any residue, as long as it is removed/replaced every so often. I've never tried this, but I think I have a partial roll of it left so I might give it a shot. Google "carpet protection film" to see what I'm referring to.

Paul
Old 06-26-10, 11:43 AM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You should call and complain to weathertech. Their mat should cover that area. I know what you mean about the factory mats. They don't even touch it!! I don't understand why the factory mats don't cover it or even come up really close to the vinyl foot pad.
Old 06-26-10, 09:30 PM
Akachan LS
Driver

Originally Posted by miniz
You should call and complain to weathertech. Their mat should cover that area. I know what you mean about the factory mats. They don't even touch it!! I don't understand why the factory mats don't cover it or even come up really close to the vinyl foot pad.
I believe I will do just that, especially considering the price WeatherTech is asking for them. Not only does their design only partially protect this area, but it allows dirt/fluids to drain down behind the liner.
Old 06-27-10, 09:23 PM
Jlexxi
Driver School Candidate

Default carpet protection film

Originally Posted by pawolf
Another option would be a small piece of the carpet protection film used in houses when remodeling, etc. It's kind of sticky, but won't leave any residue, as long as it is removed/replaced every so often. I've never tried this, but I think I have a partial roll of it left so I might give it a shot. Google "carpet protection film" to see what I'm referring to.
Paul, carpet protection film, do you mean this? carpet protection film

Did you try it yet? thanks!
Old 06-28-10, 11:46 AM
pawolf
Driver School Candidate

Jlexxi,
Yes, that is what I was referring to. I have not tried it yet. This time of the year my carpets stay pretty clean, but when I do an interior detailing after the 4th, I'm going to put some down and see how it works. I try and spot-clean the area as often as possible in the winter months to keep stains from getting ground in and more difficult to remove. This might allow me to be a bit lazier.

Paul