Browse all: Cleaning and Detailing Guides
Print Wikipost

Paint protection film, how much is it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-10, 01:44 PM
Dinomon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint protection film, how much is it?

I am interested in putting Paint protection film on the ES350, how much does it cost and will it last a long time?

Thanks!!
Old 04-09-10, 01:58 PM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I was considering it too and saw this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...Q5fAccessories
Not sure how good a job it will do.
Old 04-09-10, 04:02 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dinomon
I am interested in putting Paint protection film on the ES350, how much does it cost and will it last a long time?

Thanks!!
just had it done on es350--2010 very well worth it. had it done on frnt hood, frnt fender, side mirrors . needs to be 3M product only. where are you in Tx...i had it done by person here in Houston area who does ton of work for local Lexus ..Infinity dealers...did great job.
Old 04-09-10, 05:50 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, it is worth it. It is expensive, but a whole lot cheaper then repainting the entire front end of your car. It is not DIY. This is pro only. The cheap a$$ stuff you buy and DIY is junk. You need lots of experience to install this correctly. Which ever product you buy, make sure it comes with a lifetime warranty. If it has anything shorter then lifetime coverage, its junk and should not go on your car.
Old 04-09-10, 06:22 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have it done on my car too, full front hood, 1/4 bottom on 4 doors, A pillars, fenders and the front bumper. Mine was Ventureshield, contrairy to 3M, it is completely clear and has no orange peel, no blue either. I have my HID, side miroirs, trunk to be done, i will buy it directly from Ebay and have it install, i will cost less.

With the no glue system, you can remove it with ease and redo it.
Old 04-10-10, 04:50 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Definitely get it done! The paint is so soft on these cars it's a must. My local shop wanted like $650 to do half the hood, bumper and lights. I was persuaded not to by a couple of negative posts I read on here. BAD decision! Now four years later the front of my car looks like swiss cheese from all the interstate driving I do. I will either have to get the front repainted or take a hit on trade.
Old 04-10-10, 07:18 AM
macpro
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had clear-coated 3M Scotchgard professionally installed on both our cars (ES350 2010s). We paid $325 x 2 cars for hood, fenders, mirrors, trunk luggage area, all 4 door edges. The dealer let us pay the installer directly, avoiding dealer mark-up. We have purchased several vehicles from the same dealer.
Old 04-10-10, 09:58 AM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by macpro
I had clear-coated 3M Scotchgard professionally installed on both our cars (ES350 2010s). We paid $325 x 2 cars for hood, fenders, mirrors, trunk luggage area, all 4 door edges. The dealer let us pay the installer directly, avoiding dealer mark-up. We have purchased several vehicles from the same dealer.
yes for what's it worth...I did the same as Macpro, since I didnt buy the car locally...I went to local dealer and asked if he could refer me to someone who does the 3m paint protection & additional tint ( a must in Tx ) and they provided me person who does all their cars. His shop was 3 blks from dealers Infinty, mercedes, Lexus...I pd $ 225.00, did not have bumber done ( already has bumber applique on it--same principle ) and didn't do door edges. Again on any dark color highly reccommend.
Old 04-11-10, 05:34 AM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

Can someone refer me to reliable inexpensive shops in DFW dallas texas area who they have used to get this coating applied and approximate cost. which all areas do you recommend in a descending order is it ?
1:front bumper
2:Hood ( bra area)
3:front Lights
4: side doors
5: last is rear bumper
Old 09-09-11, 06:37 PM
smarty666
Rookie

I'm just curious, for anyone who has had the paint protection film on the car for a while now, has it done anything to the paint, specifically in regards to the fading of the paint naturally with the parts of the car that are not covered with the protection film? Also, how has it worked in regards to washing the car in the car wash? The film doesn't collect water or soap on it does it?

My dealer is quoting my like $1000 for it which seems absurdly high considering its msrp is around $400 on the Lexus website. Is that about right?
Old 09-09-11, 06:48 PM
John U
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueshark
Mine was Ventureshield, contrairy to 3M, it is completely clear and has no orange peel, no blue either.
After reading reviews of 3M vs Ventureshield......which 3M purchased a few years ago, I went Ventureshield. A 12" strip on the hood was $150.
Old 09-12-11, 04:31 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm crom Canada, but it is about right, i thing that all the lexus have that areas covered. Personnally, i advice to cover more than that to make it worth.
Old 09-14-11, 02:02 PM
Jimbo68
Rookie

Originally Posted by smarty666
I'm just curious, for anyone who has had the paint protection film on the car for a while now, has it done anything to the paint, specifically in regards to the fading of the paint naturally with the parts of the car that are not covered with the protection film? Also, how has it worked in regards to washing the car in the car wash? The film doesn't collect water or soap on it does it?

My dealer is quoting my like $1000 for it which seems absurdly high considering its msrp is around $400 on the Lexus website. Is that about right?

I have the 3M Ventureshield. Opted to get the entire hood, grill, fenders and mirrors done back to the leading edge of the front door. $1100. My ES is white and I have noticed a slight yellowing. Not noticeable unless you look very close and at the right angle. You can take this into the car wash. You never use a cleaner polish on the film. You should use the new tech waxes with polymers in them. NEVER us a cleaner of any kind. The film will not harm the paint.
Old 09-15-11, 06:00 PM
clift
Driver School Candidate

Really interested in this as well. Can anyone recommend someone in the GTA/Markham to go to that is reasonably priced? Hood now has tiny nicks with some of them rusting slightly. Very small, but I'd like to get this taken care of and then the film applied over top. Thx
Old 03-30-12, 12:18 PM
ali123
Driver School Candidate

Default 3m paint protection

Originally Posted by JRey350hou
just had it done on es350--2010 very well worth it. had it done on frnt hood, frnt fender, side mirrors . needs to be 3M product only. where are you in Tx...i had it done by person here in Houston area who does ton of work for local Lexus ..Infinity dealers...did great job.
Can you tell me how much did you pay and what areas did you have it installed? I am also in houston area. Thanks in advance

Quick Reply: Paint protection film, how much is it?