Recommendations for New Tires for ES350

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-12, 04:54 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
This is definitely worth it
I'd go with a wider 225 MXV4 again if I had the crappy Bridgestone Turanza EL400's again.
I have Michelin Energy MXV4 S8's on my '12 ES.
Most important qualities to me are a smooth and quiet ride.The S8's are V rated and are pretty smooth and quiet.
The H rated Primacy MXV4 were great on my other ES.
I'm itching to go with the Michelin Primacy MXV4 225/55-17's again.

Last edited by Joeb427; 04-06-12 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-21-13, 02:51 PM
don6709
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SickES350
falken 912 215/55/17 is good bang for your buck. grips pretty well, pretty quiet, and it last pretty well also.

my original michelins (2008 es350) didnt last long. at 30,000 dealer told me i need a new set. so the michelins that everybody is recommending is not the original tires lexus put in ?? how much does a set cost ??
Old 03-21-13, 03:21 PM
don6709
Driver School Candidate

Ok to summarize ..... and anybody correct me please... The original Michelins that lexus puts in the ES350 suck !!! You pretty much hve to get a new set at 30000. Original = Michelin Energy MXV4 V rated.

to replace the original tires and if you wanna get Michelins again do the MIchelin Primacy MXV4 (MXM4?) V or H rated. With the V you get better handling , with the H quieter ride.

Or you go with the Bridgestone Serenity

somebody suggested GoodYear . Accurate so far ????

Now next question, does Lexus know that the original OEM Michelins suck ??? and are they still putting those on the 2009 to 2012 ES ??? if they do, then they know they suck but they just want to save money ?? anyway i wrote lexus cust svc to tell them the OEM michelins suck....
Just tryiong to absorb everything here and i do need a new set of tires pronto !!!
Old 03-21-13, 03:59 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There are two versions of the MXM4 - one has a mileage warranty and the other one does not. Guess which one Lexus chose? Now what I plan to do when the Bridgestones are almost worn out is to buy three of the same tire, use the full size spare as the fourth tire and just take the best of the worn tires as my spare. Save some $$ on this buy and then the next time, will just buy four.
Old 03-22-13, 10:13 AM
bobsobi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by don6709
...to replace the original tires and if you wanna get Michelins again do the MIchelin Primacy MXV4 (MXM4?) V or H rated. With the V you get better handling , with the H quieter ride.
The car came with V-rated tires, so I'd stick with those.

My V-rated Primacy MXV4s are very quiet.
Old 03-25-13, 06:33 AM
ESSY
Driver School Candidate

My original Michelins on the 2011 had 4/32's left at 30,000 but were getting squirrelly. Replaced them with Michelin Defenders. The stiffer sidewall helped a bunch with handling. 7,000 winter miles later I've been very happy with the tires on this car.

I've put 37,000 on the car in 15 months, outside of routine maintenance (local Toyota dealer) a seat cover has been replaced under warranty after getting Lexus involved. So far very pleased with build quality, highly recommend the ES!
Old 04-10-13, 07:13 AM
mattds
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you guys place any value on the Low Rolling Resistance tires? I have the original tires and they do seemto be quite loud now (in fact one of the side walls is looking as it it's semi rotted?!) and i also would like to move up to the 225 17 r17 size but in this size the primacy's are not LRR, while the Serenity's are....
Old 04-21-13, 05:50 AM
smarty666
Rookie

I just had Michelin Primacy MXV4s put on and am completely happy with how quiet and great the ride quality has become again. You can't go wrong with them or the new Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus tires. Either one will serve you well with decent tread life.
Old 04-21-13, 08:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

The only tires I would consider on this car is the Michelin Primacy MXV4. I have the MXM4 on the GS and they are also very smooth and quiet, but too high performance a tire for the ES IMHO.
Old 04-22-13, 04:44 PM
ohhawk
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI...........I replaced OE tires on an ES with the Bridgestone Serenity tires over 2 years ago. I got these because they advertised how quiet they were. I would have to disagree as that was not my experience anyway. They met all expectations except for the noise issue.
Old 04-22-13, 04:52 PM
smarty666
Rookie

Originally Posted by ohhawk
FYI...........I replaced OE tires on an ES with the Bridgestone Serenity tires over 2 years ago. I got these because they advertised how quiet they were. I would have to disagree as that was not my experience anyway. They met all expectations except for the noise issue.
Really? I had them on my old Acura TL and they were fantastic. The noise level went down dramatically compared to the OEM Bridgestones. Sometimes though, speed rating and size can make a difference on people's experiences. Go figure.
Old 05-19-13, 11:04 PM
mikectm2
Driver School Candidate

And i gotta put my $.02 here too, and say, the Goodyear Assurance tires are nothing cool/special. they came on my 2011 ES350. we test drove an ES with the michelin 'energy' tires, and the michelins were much nicer. My aunt sat in the back, and didn't like the Goodyear tires either.

So to be clear, those Goodyear Assurance comfort tires ( i could run to the garage here to see exactly what they say but i know that's them ) Are Definately INferior to the Michelin tire.

we got $ off the car, 'cause my Aunt insisted on the Michelin tires. but since it was late, and the weekend, we just took a discount. I found this Thread because i will be getting different tires this week.

1 H rated Primacy MXV4 from Costco for $634 out the door California

2 V rated Primacy MXM4 from American Tire Depot for $612 out the door California

that's per kreativ ' s Great Post, in the other Tire thread. I'm leaning toward Costco. If the ' H ' is actually engineered for quiet and comfort, i'll take that, and the 2x better mileage. I have 0 interest in the wet, snow, or performance krap. i'm in so cal.

I wander if Costco will put on a 225/55/ 17 tire ? i guess i'll find out. I bet Amer Tire depot will.

Is the ' H ' really quieter, if the ' V ' is actually softer ? i'd think the ' V ' would be quieter. If they're the same (as far as quietness ) then i'll take the ' H '.
Old 05-22-13, 08:24 AM
unklexus
Rookie

I finally got my MXV4's balanced after taking it to the dealer and paying them to balance them. They said there were excessive weights on the tires which were in perfect shape. It seems that Discount's balancing machines were not balancing them correctly for whatever reason.

I love the H rated MXV4's soft ride, and they are generally quieter than the oem's, but unfortunately just as whiney on 'horizontally/cross' grooved pavement which is a bummer. Every freeway in Houston is ubergrooved.

The wife's new Verano is virtually dead silent in comparison.

Last edited by unklexus; 05-22-13 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-22-13, 12:09 PM
DennisW201
Driver School Candidate

I just Purchased Bridgestone Serenity Plus from Tire Rack last week and I think I couldn't have made a better choice ! I've had Michelin Tires ( you pay for the Name ). My only recommendation is to go to Lexus to Install them..I went to Pep Boys ( a little Attitude) and me back Sensor I later discovered was broken. ( Auto Body place blames them ???? I also went to Lexus twice after picking up my Vehicle. Who knows ??? I'm glad I have good Insurance with Liberty Mutual...
Old 05-22-13, 12:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Too many negative experiences with Bridgestone/Firestone for me to buy their tires again unfortunately...

Quick Reply: Recommendations for New Tires for ES350