ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Gas Pedal Shaving

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 08:21 AM
Richard95
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Pedal Shaving

Took my 2010 ES350 in this morning for the 1000 mile checkup and the service advisor wanted to know if I wanted to have gas pedal shaved. He said they were notified last week by Lexus to do this. It was a surprise to me.
Old 02-02-10, 08:38 AM
RichardNJ
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you have it done? Do they actually just cut the bottom of the pedal?
I have 900 miles on mine so coming due soon too. The gas pedal looks so high off the floor already I don't see how a mat can get stuck under there. I may just leave it be.
Old 02-02-10, 11:57 AM
Richard95
Rookie

I just picked up my car a few minutes ago and yes they do shave the pedal. It's part of the floor mat recall of last fall. I thought that cars delivered after that recall would have already been done. I took delivery of my car Xmas time. At least they did fill my gas tank.
Old 02-02-10, 12:29 PM
RichardNJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by Richard95
I just picked up my car a few minutes ago and yes they do shave the pedal. It's part of the floor mat recall of last fall. I thought that cars delivered after that recall would have already been done. I took delivery of my car Xmas time. At least they did fill my gas tank.
And do you have to go back to have the replacement pedal installed? My understanding was the shaving job was temporary until the pedals got replaced. Do you know if this is correct?
Old 02-02-10, 01:26 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not having the pedal done.
I just ordered the new design mats and when they're secured to the floor retention hooks,the mats won't move anywhere.
Old 02-02-10, 01:39 PM
RichardNJ
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I just ordered the new design mats and when they're secured to the floor retention hooks,the mats won't move anywhere.
I agree, I don't want the pedal messed with. I just have the regular carpet mats in my car secured and they aren't moving. The new mat they are referring to is just the all-season, correct?

I'd like to get the all-season mats too though for winter at least.
Old 02-02-10, 01:49 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RichardNJ
I agree, I don't want the pedal messed with. I just have the regular carpet mats in my car secured and they aren't moving. The new mat they are referring to is just the all-season, correct?

I'd like to get the all-season mats too though for winter at least.
Yeah all season but not the water holding capacity of the old style.
I bought a set of fronts sight unseen.
Lex2Bob posteded the difference between the old and new mats.
The new design does have Lexus ES script.
Not really crazy about the new design if they look like this but they'll do.
Here's the OEM rubber mats for a IS on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Old 02-02-10, 01:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Yeah all season but not the water holding capacity of the old style.
I bought a set of fronts sight unseen.
Lex2Bob posteded the difference between the old and new mats.
The new design does have Lexus ES script.
Not really crazy about the new design if they look like this but they'll do.
Here's the OEM rubber mats for a IS on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Joe, I'll be interested in your opinion of the new mats when you get them. I haven't used mine yet in any real sloppy conditions so don't have a feel yet on their real world performance. As you said, they'll do, and don't look too bad (on the ES mats, the Lexus logo and ES are both close to each other on the outside left border of each front mat. Different than the IS pics on Ebay.).

Last edited by LexBob2; 02-02-10 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-02-10, 02:03 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Richard95
I took my '07 in for the recall early last week and they modified the pedal as well as the flooring right below it. Most people wouldn't notice the work, and it doesn't feel any different under foot. It does look a just a little different if you look at it closely.

On Friday I bought a new 2010 and the modifications had already been done to the car. I hung on to the revised all weather mats from the '07 for use in the new car and am glad I did.

The dealer didn't put any gas in the car when it was in for the recall.
Old 02-02-10, 02:09 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Joe, I'll be interested in your opinion of the new mats when you get them. I haven't used mine yet in any real sloppy conditions so don't have a feel yet on their real world performance. As you said, they'll do, and don't look too bad.
Will do.
Congrats on the '10.
You'll love it!
Old 02-02-10, 03:22 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I took my '07 in for the recall early last week and they modified the pedal as well as the flooring right below it. Most people wouldn't notice the work, and it doesn't feel any different under foot. It does look a just a little different if you look at it closely.

On Friday I bought a new 2010 and the modifications had already been done to the car. I hung on to the revised all weather mats from the '07 for use in the new car and am glad I did.

The dealer didn't put any gas in the car when it was in for the recall.
Bob congrats on the 2010! I know you were very happy with your 07, but do you notice any improvements in quality? I am almost at 56K miles now and would consider a new ES350 if it is much improved.
Old 02-02-10, 04:19 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MD350
Bob congrats on the 2010! I know you were very happy with your 07, but do you notice any improvements in quality? I am almost at 56K miles now and would consider a new ES350 if it is much improved.
Hi MD. The new ES only has 150 miles on it, but so far I'm impressed. It is very solid feeling and quiet, and I like the tweaks they gave the interior to make it more upscale looking. I don't know if it's the difference between a nearly 4 year old car and a new one but so far so good. We're leaving for a driving vacation on Friday so I'll have a better feel for it after the trip.
Old 02-03-10, 06:15 AM
RichardNJ
Rookie

I just called to make my first 1000 mile service/check up appt. Was not impressed at all with the rude girl I was speaking to on the phone. She said she would give me a loaner since they also had to do the pedal recall. I asked if I could pass on having it done, to which she replied there was no choice option it was a mandatory requirement. I said I do not have the all-season mats in the car, so I'd prefer not getting the pedal done. She said doesn't matter.

Does anyone have any photo of the pedal shaving mod done? I just don't understand if they are just shaving off a little, how it can possibly make any difference. The pedal looks so high off the floor now. I really don't want it any shorter. And apparently don't have a say in the matter.
Old 02-03-10, 07:42 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sticking up for them , but sometimes a little will make a difference. Just ask around!!I had my driver side only all weather mat replaced last year (I think maybe longer, don't remember) I didn't think the old one would get stuck. I do know that the new ones would hook like they were supposed to. The first set didn't not match up with the holes. Now I hear that they are giving both mats. Is that true?
Old 02-03-10, 08:14 AM
pestleman0
Driver

Originally Posted by RichardNJ
I just called to make my first 1000 mile service/check up appt. Was not impressed at all with the rude girl I was speaking to on the phone. She said she would give me a loaner since they also had to do the pedal recall. I asked if I could pass on having it done, to which she replied there was no choice option it was a mandatory requirement. I said I do not have the all-season mats in the car, so I'd prefer not getting the pedal done. She said doesn't matter.

Does anyone have any photo of the pedal shaving mod done? I just don't understand if they are just shaving off a little, how it can possibly make any difference. The pedal looks so high off the floor now. I really don't want it any shorter. And apparently don't have a say in the matter.
Speak with the service manager. It is not mandatory.

Quick Reply: Gas Pedal Shaving