ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Gas Pedal Shaving

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-10, 10:48 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Originally Posted by lextooth
I observed that my ES 350 2010 pedal had DENSO stamped on the left side of the pedal (a Japanese manufactured unit) and was not part of the Toyota recall.
All Japanese assembled vehicles (weather Lexus or Toyota) have the Denso unit and are not subject to the shim recall. All Camrys and ES350s are eligible for a modified pedal or shaved pedal.

Lou
Old 02-11-10, 02:18 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by knktmt
When I sent my car to the dealer to fix for the accident, they also fixed my gas pedal it seems. I am gonna pick up my car today evening or tomorrow morning. So I will know for sure about that when I pick it up.
I was on exit ramp obviously I was trying to slow and was applying brake.
Was your floor mat tangled up with your pedal? If not, it was driver error. The ES350 is not part of the CTO pedal recall for stuck pedals. It is only part of the floor mat recall.
Old 02-12-10, 06:24 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Knk, You said you pushed on the brake and nothing happened. That is not part of the recall on stuck down accelerator pedals. You are claiming a new and seperate issue with your brakes not working.
What your dealer fixed was a Potential problem with your gas pedal. Not your brake pedal. You will need to have your car inspected by an independent expert mechanic and you will need for him to find and document that your brakes are defective. Then you will have a case in court.
Old 02-12-10, 01:02 PM
ESBob72
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am really not happy with what I am seeing for technician "hacked" pedal. I think the software is good but I am hearing it's hard to get one without the other. I can't believe that a dealer would accept the pictures I am seeing as an adequate repair. I understand this is until the pedals are available but whoa! The one picture looked like the guy used a hacksaw and didn't even round off the edges. The carpet is another issue. Can we take a little pride or should we wait for a more professional and asthetic solution?
Old 02-14-10, 07:25 PM
racingt
Rookie

Had the oil hose and throttle recall done in one stop. Throttle and surrounding area feel the same. Came in with 1/8 tank of fuel, left with full tank and the best wash I've ever seen them perform.

Good job.
Old 02-14-10, 09:00 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

every dealership has different workers and how they proceed with everything. The dealership i go to, they actually round off all the edges. after doing that and the computer update takes it out for a test drive. to make sure everything is working as its suppose to!!!!!! i will try to take some pictures next time from the dealership i go to !!!!
Old 02-15-10, 09:16 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Had the software update this morning.
I did not want any pedal shaving or carpet pad work.
Talked with my SA and just the update was done.
A couple of ES and RX vehicles were getting the vvti oil line recall work done.
Old 02-15-10, 09:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Had the software update this morning.
I did not want any pedal shaving or carpet pad work.
Talked with my SA and just the update was done.
A couple of ES and RX vehicles were getting the vvti oil line recall work done.
Did you get a fill up of gas with the update?

A couple of weeks ago I had my '07 in for the pedal/floor reconfiguration and oil line work and no gas. I guess the dealership didn't get the memo. The '10came with the recall work already done.
Old 02-15-10, 09:50 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Did you get a fill up of gas with the update?

A couple of weeks ago I had my '07 in for the pedal/floor reconfiguration and oil line work and no gas. I guess the dealership didn't get the memo. The '10came with the recall work already done.
I had just under a full tank.So I don't know if they would have filled the tank.
I read somewhere the January and after builds have the updated software.
Old 02-22-10, 07:03 AM
RichardNJ
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my pedal and programming done a week ago when went in for my 1000 mile service. My dealer also told me around April/May new pedal would be available, but really was trying to discourage me from getting it since said the mod they did to the pedal will look exactly the same as the replacement. Anxious to see what the revised pedal looks like when comes out.

Still feel it wasn't necessary to have done, but I'm satisfied with the mod they did on mine. I've seen some other pics where they didn't round the edges.
Old 02-22-10, 07:37 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

It looks like your dealer did a good job. I'm sure as the recall goes on they get better at doing the modifications.
Old 02-22-10, 10:34 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Still looks hacked / can't wait to see mine on Saturday. But... I hardly ever look at the pedal that close to notice. Will use some liquid black shoe polish to dress up the pedal and at least make it look like new. Down to just below 1/2 tank and will drive it there on fumes if I have to. I bet they'll put regular gas in the tank but hey, it's still free.
Old 02-23-10, 06:47 PM
1fastbusa
Driver School Candidate

I do between 2-4 a day and really take my time on them to make them look as good as possible but i still think they need to replace the pedal with a better looking redesigned part.
Old 02-24-10, 04:19 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe you but your are right - replacement gas pedal is needed. Maybe it will come in the near future as the second phase.
Old 02-24-10, 07:03 AM
outbid81
Driver School Candidate

Now, I know I wasn't there, but you people who are claiming that cars were accelerating out of control and the brakes were ineffective are off your rocker. Brakes will overpower the engine every time. Car and Driver did a test with an ES, an Infinity, and a 500hp Mustang. The results they came up with might keep some of you from opening your yapper. Next, to the "your carpet was cut" people; pull your head out of your a$$! That's the way it is on every car! The carpet ends about 4.75 inches above the top of a tethered floormat. Until now you never had a reason to look up there. And why would you need a replacement pedal if it was modified correctly? 99% of people would have no idea anything was done if they weren't told about it. It's because of people like you kids can't play games like dodgeball is school anymore.

Quick Reply: Gas Pedal Shaving