ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Gas Pedal Shaving

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 03:59 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Personally I like this look better than the OEM stuff anyway.

Nice on a IS or GS but not on an ES to me.
Old 02-09-10, 04:14 PM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Yeah, a little to sporty for the ES, But how slippery is the (wet) aluminum also?
Old 02-09-10, 04:25 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Not slippery at all...the black portions are rubber, except for the logo.
Old 02-09-10, 05:34 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I took my '07 in for the pedal modification recall and they did an OK job with it. A week later I bought a '10 at a different dealership, and the changes had already been done prior to pickup and things looked better. Unfortunately I think the results will vary depending on the tech who is doing the work.
Old 02-09-10, 07:20 PM
beagle77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like the dealer is willing to look at the transmission further but is satisfied with the job they did with the pedal. I will send a few more photos now that I have looked at the service report to Lexus directly as I am not satisfied. Thanks VVTiBob for sharing the instructions I did not see that before and I certainly don't think they rounded any corners, nor do I see mention on cutting the carpet anywhere.

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
While it's really difficult to clearly see in your photos. It sure looks like the DID NOT completely following the instruction... If you go back and to my previous post (#25) where I posted the service bulletin, then go to page 8 of the instructions, (not the explanation), your pedal, especially the back side with the sharper edge, does not appear to correspond to the revisions. I'd go back. It also looks like some got lazy and cut the carpet. That's not correct either
Old 02-10-10, 06:19 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I took my '07 in for the pedal modification recall and they did an OK job with it. A week later I bought a '10 at a different dealership, and the changes had already been done prior to pickup and things looked better. Unfortunately I think the results will vary depending on the tech who is doing the work.
Can you post a pic of your pedal mod. I think it will be uawful to Beagle77 so she can see what it looks like when done right and show that to the dealer and to Lexus.
Old 02-10-10, 06:31 PM
VVTiBob

Take a look at this video from Toyota: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63Jux4hngWc

Beagle77's pedal, especially the backside does not look like this one. Additionally, there is a mention of a new replacement later this year.
Old 02-10-10, 06:35 PM
VVTiBob

For a more thorough "video" explanation of the pedal engineering issues watch this video from Toyota at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHpuXLGm98
Old 02-11-10, 04:04 AM
CJS57
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

There is no way I will let any Lexus tech near my pedals or carpets! I have worked in too many Corporations! Usually the top brass think their plan is being explained and the techs are being trained. In reality the service manager says something like "cut an inch off the pedal and dig some jute out and cut the floor mat some too".
I will go to a dealer, see what they are doing to the cars and do it myself if I think it is necessary, I will also do my pwn "floormat over the pedal" test and see if their "fix" works on their cars.
As far a computer programing, I can shift to neutral and press the off button for 3 seconds. I do not trust the Dealers to do a great job. A trusted personal mechanic is usually better. Example. Had a flat tire on my one month old, never yet serviced, 2010. I replaced it with my factory full size spare. To my amazment the idiots at Lexus had put a dangerously high 60 psi in the full sized spare! As if it was a doughnut spare!
Old 02-11-10, 05:32 AM
knktmt
Driver School Candidate

Default Accident with brand new ES 350

I bought my new Lexus ES 350 2010 on thanks giving of 2009 on lease. I have driven it for 2000 miles but I met with an accident, like I drove over the curb when I took an exit from an interstate. I tried to push brakes but the car still ran over the curb. The police officer who investigated has given a statement that " Driver took the curve on the exit ramp too quickly & struck the crub" also " Driver failed to maintain directional control of vehicle". Now I have fixed my car with a dealer, also the dealer while fixing said Lexus had a recall and we found that defect in your car we have fixed the defect.

So here is my question for you all experts and Lexus owners. Since I tried to push the brake and the car did not stop. Can I claim that the accident happened because of the defective gas pedal. Since it is my new and I also do not have any tickets or accidents in my driving history ever since I came to USA in 2006. Also I do not want to drive an accident car so can I claim for a new car or if not alteast will my claim will help to reduce my insurance because my insurance raised by 500$ a yr after this accident.

Please help me experts and Lexus owners. Awaiting for you suggestions

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-11-10, 05:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by knktmt
I bought my new Lexus ES 350 2010 on thanks giving of 2009 on lease. I have driven it for 2000 miles but I met with an accident, like I drove over the curb when I took an exit from an interstate. I tried to push brakes but the car still ran over the curb. The police officer who investigated has given a statement that " Driver took the curve on the exit ramp too quickly & struck the crub" also " Driver failed to maintain directional control of vehicle". Now I have fixed my car with a dealer, also the dealer while fixing said Lexus had a recall and we found that defect in your car we have fixed the defect.

So here is my question for you all experts and Lexus owners. Since I tried to push the brake and the car did not stop. Can I claim that the accident happened because of the defective gas pedal. Since it is my new and I also do not have any tickets or accidents in my driving history ever since I came to USA in 2006. Also I do not want to drive an accident car so can I claim for a new car or if not alteast will my claim will help to reduce my insurance because my insurance raised by 500$ a yr after this accident.

Thanks in advance.
You'll just be one of many who have had an accident in a Toyota product and claiming it was the fault of the car.
I doubt you'll win but you can try.
Old 02-11-10, 05:48 AM
knktmt
Driver School Candidate

Joeb427 Thanks a lot for your reply. But can you suggest me how do I actually start and where I have go to claim about this. Please let me know if have some knowledge.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 02-11-10, 05:59 AM
ESBob72
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by knktmt

Thanks in advance.

Not that it can't happen, but one of the features that I find to work really well for a heavy car, are the brakes on the ES350. Did they find a problem or were you going too fast?
Old 02-11-10, 06:04 AM
knktmt
Driver School Candidate

When I sent my car to the dealer to fix for the accident, they also fixed my gas pedal it seems. I am gonna pick up my car today evening or tomorrow morning. So I will know for sure about that when I pick it up.
I was on exit ramp obviously I was trying to slow and was applying brake.

Originally Posted by ESBob72
Not that it can't happen, but one of the features that I find to work really well for a heavy car, are the brakes on the ES350. Did they find a problem or were you going too fast?
Old 02-11-10, 10:30 AM
lextooth
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone had to sign a release if they only wanted the ECU reprogrammed and not have the pedal and mat recontoured? It seems to me that different SM in parts of the country have different interpretations of the Lexus recall! Will the new pedal have only a shaved pad on it or is the complete pedal assembly a new item with new parts that were modified from the 2010 unit up to January 2010? I observed that my ES 350 2010 pedal had DENSO stamped on the left side of the pedal (a Japanese manufactured unit) and was not part of the Toyota recall.

Quick Reply: Gas Pedal Shaving