ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Oil pressure hose failed

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 09:24 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil pressure hose failed

Well, I think I just earned every penny spent on my extended warranty. Driving home from work today, I started to smell a burning smell through the heat vents. I thought it was the car in front of me, it was so bad I rolled the windows down. About 1 minute later, the message indicator stated that I had low oil. I was about 1 block from home. I made it into the garage, only to see the garage filling with smoke. I quickly backed the car out on the driveway, opened the hood and let things cool down.

I had oil all over the floor of my garage and driveway, and all over the engine of the car...but was thankful I made it home. Lexus roadside assistance was FANTASTIC. Had a tow truck at my house in 30 mins, towed me to the nearest dealer, and I am in a loaner car. I shut my car off in time, the engine did not lock up.

Seems this oil pressure hose failure is a common problem, might be a tech service bulletin. Not a cheap fix, either. Glad I bought the extended warranty.

My car has 54K miles on it....very early to have this kind of failure. But, happy that Lexus took care of me.

Has anyone else heard of this on the 3.5 engine?
Old 12-19-09, 03:56 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW!! So much for Lexus quality (through out our years on this forum). I too bought the Platinum extended warranty, covered for 100,000 miles / 5 years, just for the possibility of these kind of things happening. What loaner did you get? Never heard of this on any of my other makes.
Old 12-19-09, 05:54 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, we have been through a lot these past 3+ years. However, this was the first time the car was actually disabled and I am not happy about it. My driveway is stained with oil, hopefully the snow will absorb it.

One good note, the service advisor stated that they may need to do some engine work since the car ran low on oil. I mentioned the cold engine knock and they are going to look into that. Stay tuned......

I asked for a truck loaner due to the snow. They gave me a 2010 RX. Nice ride! I'll be in it for several days. So, between the RX and my wife's Pilot, we have two trucks for the storm....that is about the only plus!

Glad you got the warranty too.
Old 12-19-09, 06:32 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Sorry to hear this MD. Keep us apprised. Don't think the snow is going to do much for your oil stains. Gonna need something more aggessive I'm afraid.
Old 12-19-09, 08:04 AM
zhivuyatut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the failure. That was a nasty one.
You will need some sort of absorbent to soak up the oil. Ask in your local hardware store.
BTW, it is not a good idea to open the hood if there is smoke coming out of the engine bay.
You have to wait till things cool down, or the fumes mayflash and you'll end up with a charred wreck.
And I would not drive that last block. With symptoms like that - stop and shut off the engine as soon as it is safe to do so.
Now you know that you would not be stranded for long with Lexus roadside assistance.
Old 12-19-09, 12:34 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

If you have a concrete driveway, we used to sprinkle redi mix concrete dust to hide my
'64 Corvair multiple oil stains back in the sixties. Worked well. At least you'll have AWD in this storm. As of right now 3:34PM, we only have a light dusting in the Wilkes Barre - Scranton, PA area.
Old 12-19-09, 03:13 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, we have about 20 inches of snow and it is still coming down.
Old 12-19-09, 03:39 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

WOW! WOW! It's just picking up in intensity now at 6:38PM. Get out there with the RX and start plowing.....LOL
Old 12-19-09, 05:55 PM
racingt
Rookie

Looks like you got hit by this, unfortunately you were not called...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...placement.html

Limted Service Campaign 9LH
Old 12-20-09, 07:29 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

If you are looking under the hood, the disaster occured towards the fire wall on the passenger side. It was too dark to take a closer look.

Very well could be the same issue, don't know why the ES was not part of the campaign.

I'll know more when I pick it in a few days.

With all of the snow, the RX loaner will come in handy.
Old 12-20-09, 12:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by racingt
Looks like you got hit by this, unfortunately you were not called...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...placement.html

Limted Service Campaign 9LH
I looked at My Lexus online and no Service Campaign for my early build (4/06) '07. Maybe just applied to RX's?
Old 12-20-09, 10:41 PM
racingt
Rookie

From what I've read it only applies to selected Toyota and Lexus VIN's with the 2GR-FE
engine. May have to perform due diligence on my part to investigate for my ES and my g/f's '08 RX...
Old 12-20-09, 10:54 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

I;m going to guess you have the common VVT-I line failure (rear bank, passenger side). My Toyota dealer has had several on the Avalon's/Camry's do it. It's a major design flaw unfortunatley. So don;t feel like your alone in this.

The VVT-i line is part metal, and part rubber hose. The rubber hoses will often leak due to the pressure they are under.
Old 12-21-09, 06:19 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Rubber hose is used where flexing is required either to install or if attached to a removable component. If the correct hose material is used and it is clamped correctly then the pressure or the oil temp. is not a problem.
Old 12-21-09, 04:21 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

^ Um......as I said, "design flaw". It was not made right.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure hose failed