ES350 Levinson Upgrade Steps & Photos

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-09, 04:30 AM
MonAndrew7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES350 Levinson Upgrade Steps & Photos

Folks,

I am ready to order all my parts for the ES350 Levinson upgrade. I've sourced everything, I think. I will fully document this upgrade so you all can see how it is done. I'm doing this over Thanksgiving.

Would someone who has done this, especially LEXUSAUDIO, be willing to contact me off-list? I want to make sure this is going to be a real full upgrade and no tuning is going to be required. Also, I want to see if dynamat is going to be helpful or any other additions which thing sa re apart. But above all, I really want to make sure I have all the parts!!!!!

I have the 14 speakers, the amp and the new head unit and even a replacement nav system just in case I need to upgrade my nav. (The seller is allowing me to return or exchange the nav so I'm not really buying that, as it were.) I also think I need new real door panels for the tweeter mounts.

Could someone please contact me who has done this so I can be sure I've got everything before I tear the car apart? I'd really appreciate it. I promise you I'll photograph and describe it every step of the way for the benefit of the other list members.......

Many thanks!

Andrew
Old 11-15-09, 07:23 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're way over your head in this effort..turn back before it's too late....lol...
Old 11-15-09, 09:42 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LexPaul
You're way over your head in this effort..turn back before it's too late....lol...
Agreed!!
Before you get all the aforementioned parts, I would like to know whether the wiring harness has to be changed also? If so, I would chuck the whole idea and trade in your car for a factory equipped Levinson sound system. IMHO
Old 11-16-09, 05:52 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You were better off going with an aftemarket custom set up.
Better sound and probably cheaper.
Old 11-16-09, 08:35 PM
MonAndrew7
Driver School Candidate

Well, according the LexusAudio on the other post, it's completely plug&play if you already have the nav system?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...ase-radio.html

As far as I can tell, all you should have to replace is the rear door panels for the tweeter mounts.....

Thoughts? I'm listening to jazz, folks and classical and classic rock...

Thanks!
Old 11-16-09, 09:00 PM
MonAndrew7
Driver School Candidate

Default My Opinion of Aftermarket Car Stereo

Also, I absolutely cannot stand after market stereo equipment on a whole bunch of levels.

MAYBE if everything else is perfect, I could see adding an aftermarket amp and sub if you can get a clan input signal, but I finally sold off my last car with a boatload of Kenwood crap from nearly two decades of aftermarket car stereo goose-chasing and there is no way I'm gonna muck up this perfect ergonomic car with some crappy aftermarket garbage installed by some goofball at the boom boom boom car stereo shop.

The last time I had anything installed it was to replace the expensive bridged sub amp that shorted out because the previous establishment drilled right through the floorboard and water seeped in over time and ruined everything. So this BS place sells me on a completely new amp that turned out to be a floor model, and new installation with "rubber bushings" and low and behold, the only put them in the front where you can see them. The back of the amp, where you can't see it, was AGAIN drilled completely through to the outside and water has started to seep in and that amp was beginning to flake off and there is all kinds of water....

No way Never again!

Andrew
Old 11-17-09, 03:53 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MonAndrew7
Also, I absolutely cannot stand after market stereo equipment on a whole bunch of levels.

MAYBE if everything else is perfect, I could see adding an aftermarket amp and sub if you can get a clan input signal, but I finally sold off my last car with a boatload of Kenwood crap from nearly two decades of aftermarket car stereo goose-chasing and there is no way I'm gonna muck up this perfect ergonomic car with some crappy aftermarket garbage installed by some goofball at the boom boom boom car stereo shop.

The last time I had anything installed it was to replace the expensive bridged sub amp that shorted out because the previous establishment drilled right through the floorboard and water seeped in over time and ruined everything. So this BS place sells me on a completely new amp that turned out to be a floor model, and new installation with "rubber bushings" and low and behold, the only put them in the front where you can see them. The back of the amp, where you can't see it, was AGAIN drilled completely through to the outside and water has started to seep in and that amp was beginning to flake off and there is all kinds of water....

No way Never again!

Andrew
Very well said, could not agree more Most folks who work at the boom boom shops know more about skateboards than stereo
Old 11-18-09, 04:42 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You haven't even begun to scratch the surface of the problems that could be encountered. There was a guy over on the IS forum that tried it on his IS250/350. He got it to work but it never worked like factory and the issues he ran into were incomprehensible. Good luck.