ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Power connections under front seats

Old 05-05-09, 01:32 PM
XOXNON
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power connections under front seats

With all the gadgets needing power, along with my desire to hide wires, I would like to add power connections under either of the front seat to be used to power the various, MP3 , phones and other devices I use in my car.

Does anyone know which wires I could possibly tap into, for "Switch 12 volts" and "Unswitched (constant) 12 Volts" ? I also would like to to know the amperage of the fuse that supplies the powew under the front seats of a 2009 ES350.

Thanks.

Rick
Old 05-06-09, 06:23 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XOXNON
With all the gadgets needing power, along with my desire to hide wires, I would like to add power connections under either of the front seat to be used to power the various, MP3 , phones and other devices I use in my car.

Does anyone know which wires I could possibly tap into, for "Switch 12 volts" and "Unswitched (constant) 12 Volts" ? I also would like to to know the amperage of the fuse that supplies the powew under the front seats of a 2009 ES350.

Thanks.

Rick
Depending on the application, you could tap into the power coming to your powered front seats as a constant supply since its powered even w/o engine running. If you want something on only with ignition, tap into the power for the seat's fan/heater.

I taped into the front seat's ventilator fan for my footwell lighting (I have LED for the rear seat footwell)... and also as power for my LED in my cupholders.
Old 05-06-09, 02:37 PM
clarky86
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
footwell lighting (I have LED for the rear seat footwell)... and also as power for my LED in my cupholders.
Clever idea! Where did you buy the led's?
Old 05-06-09, 02:53 PM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

i still dont understand why people put leds in the footwells.. you really like having a bright light on your feet all the time? but that is a good idea to tap into the hot wire for the seat fan. I was thinking about accessing the center consoles and splicing the wires for the stock power supplies, but the fan idea is much better
Old 05-08-09, 07:03 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SmokeyES35
i still dont understand why people put leds in the footwells.. you really like having a bright light on your feet all the time? but that is a good idea to tap into the hot wire for the seat fan. I was thinking about accessing the center consoles and splicing the wires for the stock power supplies, but the fan idea is much better
My footwell lights are for the rear seats - and connected to the lighted controler switch for the fan, so they're only on when the headlights are on. They're not so useful for me since I dont sit back there - but people who have sat back there think they're useful at night when they drop something small on the floor.
Old 05-08-09, 07:08 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by clarky86
Clever idea! Where did you buy the led's?
You can attain LED's from Radio Shack, be sure to connect the correct resistor so that the current matches with the LED's specs for a 12V source.

If you like to get something pre-made, you can buy any lighted LED "toy" from Walmart (e.g. lighted windshield washer nozzle) and extract the LED from that - the resistor is already welded onto those; however, it's a more expensive route.

You dont need really bight LEDs since this is an application inside the car and for use in the dark anyways.
Old 05-08-09, 09:53 AM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
My footwell lights are for the rear seats - and connected to the lighted controler switch for the fan, so they're only on when the headlights are on. They're not so useful for me since I dont sit back there - but people who have sat back there think they're useful at night when they drop something small on the floor.
ah.. yes.. that is a good idea, its just the leds im aware are pretty bright, but in that small space and having not too bright leds would be pretty nice there.