ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Does anyone know how to adjust the headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-09, 12:06 PM
ehryciuk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone know how to adjust the headlights

The headlights on my ES 350 are set too low. This caused us to run over some road debris last nite because we couldn't see it in time. The owners manual is useless it shows two screws that you are supposed to turn to adjust the lights. Problem is these screws don't exist on my car.
Old 01-22-09, 01:17 PM
kewl
Rookie

This assumes you have the fancy and costly headlights...god forbid I ever have to pay to replace one...$$$.

Adjustment is fairly easy, just be careful not to adjust them too high.

You will need a long shaft crosspoint screwdriver...crosspoint, phillips, either one of the two types should work. You can see in the photo where the adjustment hole is, one of each side. Lift up the weather seal and you will see it easily. There isn't a slot at the bottom of the hole, at least not one I can see...just insert the screwdriver gently until it hits bottom and turn the screwdriver to adjust the lights. Seems like clockwise would raise the light and counter clockwise would lower them, but my memory isn't what it use to be so experiment.

Remember, keep the left (drivers) beam slightly lower than the right one.
Attached Thumbnails Does anyone know how to adjust the headlights-pict3265.jpg  

Last edited by kewl; 01-22-09 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-22-09, 01:35 PM
jcg
Rookie

Default headlight adjustment.

A word of advice!!!!

The lights have a very sharp cutoff. In your garage, turn the lights on and mark the cutoff point on the wall with chalk..You can now tell if you are adjusting up or down. Also keep the cutoff difference between the left and right side the same. Lifting the cutoff about an inch on the wall makes a big difference on the road.

Good luck.
Old 01-22-09, 06:46 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't screw it up. Take it to the dealer!!
Old 01-23-09, 12:40 PM
kewl
Rookie

The dealer, at least mine, adjusted the headlights way too high. While I don't like the headlights aimed low in front of the car what the dealer did was out line even for me.

The adjustments are easy, quick and simply, there is little to screw up, except to adjust too high or too low, which is easy to correct. Like 'jcg' said, a slight adjustment on the wall can be huge on the road, adjust a little at a time.

Last edited by kewl; 02-01-09 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-01-09, 02:51 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Are the adjustment procedures for the standard headlights and the HIDs the same?

Last edited by kreativ; 02-01-09 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-01-09, 07:54 PM
kewl
Rookie

Sorry to report that I have no idea how the standard headlights adjust.
Old 02-17-09, 01:41 PM
ewu888
Driver School Candidate

according to the manual, you can only adjust the headlights that have the AFS system..

If anyone knows how to adjust the headlights for the standard halogen lights, please let me know because i need to adjust mine as well!
Old 02-19-09, 09:51 AM
GWK-350
Driver School Candidate

The NIGHT driving 'visibility' has been the only neg- issue for me. I had the dealer adjust the lights UP two diff- times. I ended up doing it myself to get the light out far enough to see anything out there in time to avoid a hazzard. It's amazing to me how the LEXUS Co. messed up on this issue in 2007,,,& I hope it's been corrected on later models. GWK
Old 02-18-10, 11:14 PM
rikkus256
Rookie

I too need to know how to adjust the standard halogen lights. Anyone? Thanks!
Old 03-12-14, 08:47 AM
ralph13
Driver School Candidate

TURNING ADJUSTING SCREW COUNTER-CLOCKWISE WILL RAISE THE BEAM. TO LOWER BEAM TURN IT CLOCKWISE. Trust me, I have an extra AFS headlight not mounted that I could practice with.
Old 03-15-14, 03:57 PM
mckdaddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kewl

Remember, keep the left (drivers) beam slightly lower than the right one.
I've noticed this on my car, but didn't know why....why are the lights set this way?
Old 03-16-14, 06:17 AM
mlacomb
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mckdaddy
I've noticed this on my car, but didn't know why....why are the lights set this way?
Driver's side should always be set lower - it's going to be more in the path of oncoming drivers, and you don't want to blind someone that's going the opposite direction of you at speed

To add my 2c, the standard Halogen lights on my 2008 are pretty decent. Yeah, there's a sharp cutoff - but compared to any other car I've owned, it outshines on both low and high. I've never had a projector setup before, and my last car - a Grand Marquis - was not particularly stellar in light output, even when the light shells were new.
Old 10-12-15, 08:05 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Does anyone have pictures of where these adjustmnet taps or screws are so that i know what to turn and what not to turn when adjusting the headlamps ?
Thanks.
i mean one that doesn't have the weather strip on so that i can see exactly where i don't want to put it somewhere and turn something i shouldn't

Last edited by ThumperPup; 10-12-15 at 08:12 AM.
Old 10-12-15, 03:35 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 847 Likes on 644 Posts

Here you go:

Quick Reply: Does anyone know how to adjust the headlights