ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Dead Battery - Trunk Lockout

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-13, 09:19 AM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

i neveer even thought about this
I keep a batter pack in the trunk mostly because i help people out if there batterys are dead and stranded but also
i have once or twice in a few of my cars had electrical issues and batterys that go to crap due to it so i decided a few years back just buy a power pack and leave it at that luckly i have never had to use it on the E/S never had a problem with no power
but now i am curious
so ill go look threw the pass threw today and see if i can locate the cable for the emergency realease just to know where it is and if i can reach it
Old 01-08-15, 08:20 PM
lovetennis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Battery/Trunk Locked

This is how you unlock the trunk when the battery is dead: Turning the mechanical key rearward unlocks the driver's door. Turning the key once again unlocks the other doors (including the trunk).
I, too had a dead battery at the airport parking lot on a rainy cold night this past week. Called AAA and technician had no clue how to jump my car from the hood. Called a good friend and called AAA again. Second AAA tech had no clue how to jump the car from the hood, but my smart friend figured it out and told the AAA tech how. Okay good, car started and good to go. But it would have been simple if I could have gotten to the 12 V battery in the trunk to start the car. I called Lexus next day and they said I could not get in trunk when battery is dead. Googled it and all I found was this forum where no one had an idea. Kept searching and found the answer. I just knew there had to be a way!
p.s. there is no manual trunk release on my Lexus 450h that I could find in the cargo area.

Last edited by lovetennis; 01-08-15 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Left out something.
Old 01-09-15, 06:04 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetennis
This is how you unlock the trunk when the battery is dead: Turning the mechanical key rearward unlocks the driver's door. Turning the key once again unlocks the other doors (including the trunk).
I, too had a dead battery at the airport parking lot on a rainy cold night this past week. Called AAA and technician had no clue how to jump my car from the hood. Called a good friend and called AAA again. Second AAA tech had no clue how to jump the car from the hood, but my smart friend figured it out and told the AAA tech how. Okay good, car started and good to go. But it would have been simple if I could have gotten to the 12 V battery in the trunk to start the car. I called Lexus next day and they said I could not get in trunk when battery is dead. Googled it and all I found was this forum where no one had an idea. Kept searching and found the answer. I just knew there had to be a way!
p.s. there is no manual trunk release on my Lexus 450h that I could find in the cargo area.
It was a federal law around 2000-2002 the mandated a trunk release inside the trunk. All cars were required to have it. The only way I know how to get into the ES350 trunk with a dead battery is to reach in with a pole/hook or a coat hanger and pull the release down. If you are a little paranoid you can fix a cable to the pull handle and run it back to the arm rest access hole . That way you will always have a manual way to get the trunk open. As for jumper cables they have "smart" cables which don't allow you to hook them up backwards. If you are going to get a battery charger/starter pack buy a good one and it will last a long time. They are not cheap and if you want to know a good brand go to a auto body shop/wrecker and see what they use.
Old 01-09-15, 12:28 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

There is an emergency release (in addition to the legislated "T" handle release) just aft of the pass thru access door. There is a loop of cable about 3 inches aft of the access door at about the same height as the top of the door opening. If you pull the cable loop towards the driver side, you'll release the trunk latch. The loop is in somewhat of a recess, so you have to feel for it.

Last edited by oldgrump; 01-09-15 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-09-15, 10:48 PM
lovetennis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jagtoes
It was a federal law around 2000-2002 the mandated a trunk release inside the trunk. All cars were required to have it. The only way I know how to get into the ES350 trunk with a dead battery is to reach in with a pole/hook or a coat hanger and pull the release down. If you are a little paranoid you can fix a cable to the pull handle and run it back to the arm rest access hole . That way you will always have a manual way to get the trunk open. As for jumper cables they have "smart" cables which don't allow you to hook them up backwards. If you are going to get a battery charger/starter pack buy a good one and it will last a long time. They are not cheap and if you want to know a good brand go to a auto body shop/wrecker and see what they use.
I have a SUV and there is no manual release for the cargo door. It makes perfectly good sense there should be one. Maybe SUVs are not regulated by this law.
Old 01-10-15, 05:42 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I have a SUV and there is no manual release for the cargo door. It makes perfectly good sense there should be one. Maybe SUVs are not regulated by this law.
I suspect SUV's don't fall into this law because you can get to the back door from the inside. The trunk law was to prevent someone (kids) from getting locked in the trunk.
Old 01-10-15, 05:34 PM
lovetennis
Driver School Candidate

Default Dead Battery/Trunk Locked

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I suspect SUV's don't fall into this law because you can get to the back door from the inside. The trunk law was to prevent someone (kids) from getting locked in the trunk.
I certainly understand and agree with that, however Hybrid 12-V batteries to jump the car off easily are located in the back cargo area which can only be accessed with the cargo door opened. Jumping the car off from the hood can be done, but is very tricky and two separate AAA technicians could not jump the car off from the hood mainly because they had no clue how even with the manual.
I am very disappointed the Lexus dealership could not tell me turning the mechanical/manual key twice would unlock all the doors even when the battery is dead. I feel better now knowing I can access the 12-V battery for a jump if I ever get into another similar situation.
Old 01-11-15, 02:07 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgrump
There is an emergency release (in addition to the legislated "T" handle release) just aft of the pass thru access door. There is a loop of cable about 3 inches aft of the access door at about the same height as the top of the door opening. If you pull the cable loop towards the driver side, you'll release the trunk latch. The loop is in somewhat of a recess, so you have to feel for it.
That's exactly where it is on my '09 ES350. Very reachable from the back seat. This thread was an eye opener as I hadn't though about this potential problem.
Old 01-13-15, 09:11 AM
ESRXGUY
Driver School Candidate

It certainly is an eye opener. I will be checking for mine as well tonight.
Old 08-13-19, 10:04 PM
Joejo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by capnfred
make hook with a coat hanger, reach in and pull the release, as for the jumper cable issue, as long as you don't hook them up back wards jumper cables will not hurt a thing....do you really believe that chinese crap they sell in Walmart is safer than a battery, that has a fixed output.... probably about 12.7 volts under no load max....just my humble opinion based on about 60 years of experience working with electricity.... its not black magic, just plain old physics and math..... so you guys use your gizmos, and I will carefully use my jumper cables.... I know and understand hi-tech, but the key is KISS, got that beat into my head over the years, guess what IT WORKS! Look for the easy stuff first before you go looking for the exotic stuff,,,,, the electronics rarely fails, its conectors, wires, fuses, and sensors, probably in that order, I read a post not long ago from a long time Toyota Mech, "have rarely seen any ECU fail" Solid state electronics is pretty bullet proof, as long as it is not stressed by either too much heat, current, or voltage....so again, KISS. As for the trunk, push comes to shove pull the rear seat, remove the cover and climb into the trunk, find the release, and manually pull it. Have used that technique getting into trunks in junk cars.....found lots of neat things the yard operators did not know were there because the only way they know to get into a trunk is with a dent puller or a crowbar..... my way is pretty painless.. and it follows the KISS principle, Keep it Simple Stupid.........

capn
Well I figured it out before I found your post. I just put my seats down, entered through the back door, took the cover off and searched, I found it! (Kinda what u said) But thanks for the jumper cable input though, I was getting more frustrated because of that post. I got frustrated looking for the answer and ended up figuring it out. Im doing all this as we speak and I came on here to say thanks.

Last edited by Joejo; 08-13-19 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-18-20, 08:29 PM
gparodi
Driver School Candidate

It is simple. Remove the emergency key from the remote. To the left of the trunk release is a key slot. Insert the key and turn. The trunk will open.
Old 02-20-20, 06:22 PM
Riick
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by gparodi
It is simple. Remove the emergency key from the remote. To the left of the trunk release is a key slot. Insert the key and turn. The trunk will open.
I just took a look at my trunk (2007 es350) - there is no key slot for trunk release anywhere on trunk lid. I also checked pdf version of owner's manual, searching for "trunk" ...no mention of key slot for trunk release.
So... What year es350 do you own?
Old 02-26-20, 12:21 PM
Riick
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Exclamation

...I am very disappointed the Lexus dealership could not tell me turning the mechanical/manual key twice would unlock all the doors even when the battery is dead.
How that can possibly work, given a dead 12v battery ??
Perhaps it works with your Hybrid, where the traction battery serves, somehow, as a backup.
But in standard ES?: Lexus magic wand?

/
Old 02-26-20, 03:17 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by oldgrump
This is the best answer in the whole thread, I can confirm this works on a 2010 ES350.

Originally Posted by gparodi
Tried this and the trunk remained locked, the key only unlocks the doors and lowers/raises the windows.