ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

"Tim Horton" coffee house not listed on my GPS...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-08, 07:03 PM
raymondp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Tim Horton" coffee house not listed on my GPS...

Hi everyone!!!

I am having no luck trying to program "Tim Hortons" restaurant into my GPS route guidance. It just isn't listed on MAP/VOICE GUIDANCE or DESTINATION screen/list.
Wondering if anyone else have that problem?
Thanks in advance....
Old 11-20-08, 05:46 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Just plug in his phone number and you'll get there. If that doesn't work then take the car back to the dealer and get a refund.
Old 11-20-08, 12:10 PM
raymondp
Driver School Candidate

jagtoes, thanks for the suggestion but I think you must have a different Tim Hortons Restaurant in mind.
I am curious as to why there are not any listings for local Tim Horton coffee places which are numerous all over Canada, but not so popular in the USA. For some reason none are listed on my GPS. It showed one somewhere in the eastern USA about 3500 miles away from here. But there are Tim Hortons everywhere here. No, I am not that desperate for Timmie's coffee, although I like it ,ha,ha... My wife hates it!
Other than that little problem I seem to have with my beloved ES, am very happy with it and wouldn't want to part with it under any circumstance.
I believe you enjoy yours as well.
Old 11-20-08, 03:31 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

At least it's just one store. I'm missing whole roads. And it's not like they're new roads either. I can't use the navi to go the quickest way to the airport cuz the roads just don't show up on the navi.
Old 11-20-08, 07:48 PM
raymondp
Driver School Candidate

Smile

I think the Garmin 'STREET PILOT 7200' which I had installed in my previous vehicle (Outback 30R), was more simple to use and more user friendly in finding any streets or places, although the screen resolution was not as nice as this one in ES. Well I guess one has to take it as it comes.
Perhaps I should experiment more and gain a better command of this marvelous piece of technology... codex 57, hope you are finding your way to the airport in some other way, reverting back to the old fashion way the ROAD MAP
Old 11-20-08, 07:53 PM
farquad
Lexus Test Driver

lol that's weird.. considering if BC is anything like Ontario, you guys also have a tim hortons at every friggin intersection.. that's weird, how does it miss such a common place? have you asked the dealer yet?
Old 11-20-08, 09:08 PM
pestleman0
Driver

Originally Posted by raymondp
Hi everyone!!!

I am having no luck trying to program "Tim Hortons" restaurant into my GPS route guidance. It just isn't listed on MAP/VOICE GUIDANCE or DESTINATION screen/list.
Thanks in advance....
You will soon find there are LOTS of places not listed or inaccurate. It is common for it to list something 400 miles away when it's just down the street. It is not what I had hoped for but still comes in handy.
Old 11-20-08, 09:37 PM
raymondp
Driver School Candidate

It is beyond my understanding also that such common places as are Tim Horton cafes across whole of Canada, not being listed on Navi. Perhaps because there are as you farquad are saying, on every corner, then no need to list them.
Oh well it is a small problem almost not worth mentioning it, was just wondering if others are noticing it. Yes pestleman0 I too am finding it very handy in many ways...
Old 11-24-08, 05:01 AM
static
Driver

Which is worse, not showing something you know is there, or showing you a gas station that isn't there anymore (or never was) and the fumes light is on.

Happened to me somewhere in northern half of NH.
Old 11-24-08, 07:46 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi everyone!!!

Thanks in advance....
You'll find the Mission Timmy HoHo at 1st Avenue and Horne Street. Just look for the place with the line-up out the door...lol
Old 11-24-08, 08:04 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Like many restaurants and other chain stores, Tim Horton offers downloadable POI files that can be used in most newer portable GPS navigation devices to find store locations: http://www.timhortons.com/en/about/gps.html

Can custom POI files be used in the ES350 navigation system?

I've got a number of custom POI files on an SD card in my "old" circa 2006 Magellan portable GPS. One cool feature - that my wife hates - is that I have set the GPS to chime whenever we get within about one mile of various POIs. I've set a different chime to sound when we get within about 300 yards of one of these custom POI.

In some of the newer GPS devices, custom sound files can be used instead of chimes -- nothing is scarier than hearing Barry Manilow sing "You deserve a break today at McDonald's" ever time you get near a McDonald's restaurant.

It really is a cool feature. Here is a list of custom POI files on one of the GPS forums I frequent: http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...TOPIC_ID=56474
Old 11-24-08, 08:13 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by Kansas
In some of the newer GPS devices, custom sound files can be used instead of chimes -- nothing is scarier than hearing Barry Manilow sing "You deserve a break today at McDonald's" ever time you get near a McDonald's restaurant.
Wow...what a way to make one lose one's appetite!
But probably just as well if it was a McD's you were thinking of stopping at.
Old 11-24-08, 08:31 PM
raymondp
Driver School Candidate

Hey thanks to all of you for your replys. Nice to know that I am not the only one with this kind of experience with nav.
LEXUCAN, You must be near to Mission, to know of Tim Ho in the downtown. Yes, you are right. It is the busiest coffee place in town. I know because I meet there every morning with our 'coffee group' and one of us has to line up to get their good or bad coffee, depending on one's personal taste.
The only reason I wanted GPS to take me there, was that I was showing off the GPS in my Lexus to my passenger friend. It sort of back fired on me. :-)
Old 11-25-08, 08:09 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

LEXUCAN, You must be near to Mission, to know of Tim Ho in the downtown. Yes, you are right. It is the busiest coffee place in town. I know because I meet there every morning with our 'coffee group' and one of us has to line up to get their good or bad coffee, depending on one's personal taste.
Yes, I live and work in Mission. The Tim's on SFW in Abbotsford is even worse for line-ups. That one also has a drive-thru which usually has 20-30 cars crawling bumper to bumper waiting to get their fix of caffeine on the way to or from work. It boggles my mind how anybody could sit in line (for half an hour in some cases) just to get a cup of coffee! I speculate that if all the Tim Horton drive-thrus were closed, Canada's annual carbon footprint could be reduced by several million tons! But don't tell the federal Liberal Party...they'd want to introduce legislation to do just that.