ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

My dilemna ordering the Nav system

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-08, 04:51 PM
techman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My dilemna ordering the Nav system

I am considering a new 2008 ES 350. The Mark Levinson audio system is an absolute must. In the US, I can't get the ML system without the Nav system.
To me the Nav system is mostly useless. From what I understand I can only use the system when parked. And the new portable GPS units keep adding features (traffic, cross-street announcements etc) and are far cheaper. In 3-4 years the stock system will be absolutely ancient. It seems like a waste to spend all this extra money for the NAV and rarely use it.
Just wondering if others have the same sentiments.
Thanks
Old 11-15-08, 05:14 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

I didn't care for the Nav either. But I really needed the backup camera as the ES has a horribly tall tail and a fast roofline.

So I bit the bullet and eventually became overdependent on the Nav as so many others have.
Old 11-15-08, 06:15 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

The ES350 I bought was for my wife. We both use GPS that is cell phone based (Verizon). To have it mounted in a car, is, IMHO, a waste. I can use my phone in a rental vehicle, in our truck, my car, her car, even when I walk. I see no reason to have a GPS system permanently mounted in a vehicle. I have become dependent on it, and want to have it with me and want to have it operate the same way in every vehicle I drive.

Lou
Old 11-15-08, 10:25 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember back in 2001 when I purchased my GS3. All I wanted was the HID light, because I really don't care about navi and the regular sound system is sufficient for me. But to get HID, I would need to get Navigation and if you want Navi, then Mark Levinson comes with it also. So, I end up spending 45xx more (sticker price of the package) on the car. I do have to say although I don't use navigation on the daily basis, I am now won't buy a car w/o one. Personally I don't like to have a portable unit mount it anywhere on the dash, but everyone is different. Just me .02.
Old 11-16-08, 05:32 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Why don't you do both. If you wan the ML system you need to get the nav. If you don't want a big blind spot while backing up you need the nav. I use my nav maybe 3-4 times a week just traveling in the various communities around here. Fun just to drive on different roads.
Old 11-17-08, 12:29 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Yeah, it bothered me that the nav was going to look ancient in a few years. However, with any electronic item, you're guaranteed that it will be obsolete in a very short while anyways. Cars as well for that matter.

You just gotta bite the bullet. The nav has plenty of advantages as others have mentioned. Backup camera is awesome. I've got an aftermarket backup camera on my other car. Not even close. The factory one is wide angle and very helpful when backing up while parked btw two other cars. You can see oncoming cars/pedestrians by just poking out a little.

Plus, the nav is actually very good as far as factor systems go. And the screen is monstrous. It's a tradeoff. While aftermarket means you can input while moving (you can use voice commands to do that on the Lexus or wait for an aftermarket solution to get the Lexus one to work while moving), it may be rare that you'll need to input a new destination while moving. Plus, the huge screen is so much easier to see the map and directions. Even the "big" 4.3" screens of the aftermarket systems seem tiny in comparison. You have to concentrate a lot less on the screen with the Lexus cuz it's so big so it's safer while driving.
Old 11-17-08, 02:07 PM
Tarkio
Driver School Candidate

The nav screen also integrates very nicely with most of the car's functions. I find it a pleasure to use. Plus, I live in a big city and it's nice not having to worry about unhooking a portable system when I park, and not having to worry about people breaking in to the car looking for a handheld system hidden in the glove box.

The backup camera is a necessity. And, you can load any destinations that are in your pre-sets while the car is moving or use the voice recognition.

The built-in nav is connected to the car electronics and "knows" your speed and steering direction. Mine continues to accurately navigate even when I'm in stop and go traffic underground in traffic tunnels or in other places that restrict GPS reception. The more I use the nav in the ES the more I love it.
Old 11-20-08, 12:03 PM
safford197
Driver

I love the built in Nav mainly for two reasons: 1.) convenience and 2.) aesthetics

I say convenience because it's right there, I don't have to reach for anything, and I don't have to squint to see a little 3"-4" screen. Ever try to input something while driving in a city? At least in the mid-Atlantic area there are few smooth streets and it's hard to fat finger an address in. At times when I get stuck in traffic, having the map up and ready to go is helpful since I can sometimes shoot off the main road with out having to enter a destination. When traveling to NYC I was able to use it amidst the large buildings and in the Holland tunnel something the hand helds can't do. That feature came in so handy when trying to get in the tunnel, I remember back about three years ago trying to use a Garmin, I kept missing the turns as it took so long to find a signal in the city. In Manhattan you can zoom to an extra close level, a 75 ft range, and it shows cartoonish pics of the buildings. If you touch one it provides a list of services in that building, if you touch a given business name, it gives you some info and let's you call with your blue tooth connected phone. Lastly when looking for a POI, its very useful and voice commands work great.

A friend of mine recently bought a I phone. It has traffic info on it so a couple times I've asked him to check out our route using it. Either I was already in motion and couldn't enter the destination without stopping or I wanted to see if there's a lot of traffic as there often is since I live near DC. Every time I ask him to pull it out he wines about the battery or just doesn't feel like shuffling to pull it out of his pocket.

Finally, for aesthetics you can't beat the integrated look of the OEM Nav system. It might be dated, in fact, as far as media capabilities I admit it was dated when I bought it, but it sure does look good. Not having charging wires, suction cup mount and clunky $200-300 device stuck in my line of sight that I have to eliminate all evidence of before parking and walking away adds even more to the convenience factor.
Old 11-24-08, 09:10 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tarkio
Mine continues to accurately navigate even when I'm in stop and go traffic underground in traffic tunnels or in other places that restrict GPS reception.
And that is the one big advantage (most) factory navigation systems have over almost every single portable GPS-based nav unit; how many portable units out there can still accurately track your position if/when you're in an area with poor or no GPS signal reception?