XM Radio Availability?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-08, 01:13 PM
Bubbamill
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XM Radio Availability?

Hi,

Just purchased an '08 ES350 and wanted the XM radio option. Dealer told me that Lexus has the XM option on hold pending resolution of the merger between the two satellite companies.

Has anyone heard of this? I can't find anything in Google referring to the option being held up by Lexus or Toyota...

As a sweetener, the dealer added XM radio for free with install pending the resolution. Now I'm wondering if I fell for a load of BS from the dealer..

I'm not sure if the "on-hold" refers to the Sirius option too. Any info out there to validate what the dealer told me? Or am I just a sucker that fell for a line?

Thanks!
Old 10-07-08, 05:55 AM
Osteoman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my car one month ago and had the XM installed no problem. XM radio is not going away and in fact is now adding some of the Sirius stations to its lineup. On the other hand I paid like $595 for it. I would have taken a delay if it was free.
Old 10-07-08, 06:02 PM
ThePhantom
Driver School Candidate

Picked my car up in mid-Sept. as well, and had XM installed without issue.

I wish the antenna was integrated into the car, rather than having the appearance of a cheapass aftermarket accessory. Anyone know of better antenna alternatives?
Old 10-07-08, 11:00 PM
Osteoman
Rookie

Originally Posted by ThePhantom

I wish the antenna was integrated into the car, rather than having the appearance of a cheapass aftermarket accessory. Anyone know of better antenna alternatives?
Where did they mount yours? Mine was placed inside to the right of the rear brake light on the shelf. Is noticeable only if you think about it.
Old 10-08-08, 07:37 AM
ThePhantom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Osteoman
Where did they mount yours? Mine was placed inside to the right of the rear brake light on the shelf. Is noticeable only if you think about it.
They installed it PRECISELY as described in the installation manual (page 8):

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/imp...F/ES350_XM.PDF

on the right side of the trunk deck. I may ask them to move it next time I'm there. The problem is that these smaller satellite antennas use a good portion of the surrounding metal for reception. Typical aftermarket installations call for the antenna to be mounted at least 6 inches away from any window frames, etc. -- as less surrounding metal on all sides will attenuate the signal.

I'm not sure if the interior installation will be satisfactory. I live in an area that's not supplemented by terrestrial repeaters, so I'm very concerned about signal fade...

Last edited by ThePhantom; 10-08-08 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-08-08, 10:25 AM
Osteoman
Rookie

Hmmmm don't know about where you live. I live near Fort Worth Texas and reception is great. Only drops out for a sec. when I pull under garage door.
Old 10-22-08, 07:56 AM
Wasabi
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone tried to install the XM receiver on their own? I have the instructions to do so but I wantrf to get an opinion on the difficulty.
Old 10-22-08, 11:12 AM
MARINE
Driver

I ran the antenna up through the third brake light. It sits right next to the cover on the the rear deck. The back window is tinted 20% so you cant even see it at all. I have no issues on reception. Still Lexus could have made a shark fin like the gs and Is. The same as Osteoman!
Old 10-22-08, 11:13 AM
MARINE
Driver

Originally Posted by Wasabi
Has anyone tried to install the XM receiver on their own? I have the instructions to do so but I wantrf to get an opinion on the difficulty.
I paid my local electronic shop and he installed it for $60.00. I paid 300.00 for the kit and radio from Local Lexus Stealership!
Old 10-22-08, 11:30 AM
glindner
Driver School Candidate

Default XM Radio

Hello, regarding the merger, I too have a problem as well: XM in the car and Sirius in my truck. Although these companies have merged, they have not worked out some issues. You cannot have XM & Sirius in the same vehicle. The dealer is stalling you. Get the receiver for XM, as this is what Lexus as arranged with XM. To get Sirius you would have to remove the XM receiver from the car and get a Sirius receiver. Call XM @ 800-967-2346 and Sirius 888-756-2555. Good luck!
Old 10-22-08, 06:31 PM
nyardich
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile XM Antenna Pics

Originally Posted by ThePhantom

Pic of mine and have traveled to many states and only dropouts were in tunnels............................................
Installed by Lexus Dealer and I dont see anything unsightly.
Attached Thumbnails XM Radio Availability?-dsc04888.jpg  
Old 10-23-08, 06:58 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

As mentioned earlier, the smaller antennas rely on the metal around them for better reception. If you don't like the looks of a black antenna on a light colored car, it can be painted to match. I've seen tutorials on this at sites like xmfan.com.

-Robert
Old 10-23-08, 10:21 AM
MARINE
Driver

Originally Posted by Robert_J
As mentioned earlier, the smaller antennas rely on the metal around them for better reception. If you don't like the looks of a black antenna on a light colored car, it can be painted to match. I've seen tutorials on this at sites like xmfan.com.

-Robert

Oh not arguing that point. I guess living in metro havana they have terrestial antennas and I have no issues with the antenna located inside the car. I just prefer the clean look to having it mounted on the trunk.
Old 10-24-08, 02:32 PM
Bubbamill
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to all that responded.

My dealer is insisting that he has no XM kits available and won't have any more until the merger is worked out. The XM was thrown in at no cost as a deal sweetener so if I go to another dealer I'm on my own cost wise.

I hate to think the dealer threw the XM in knowing he would never "have it in stock" but it's beginning to look that way...
Old 10-25-08, 06:52 AM
nyardich
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bubbamill
Thanks to all that responded.

My dealer is insisting that he has no XM kits available and won't have any more until the merger is worked out. The XM was thrown in at no cost as a deal sweetener so if I go to another dealer I'm on my own cost wise.

I hate to think the dealer threw the XM in knowing he would never "have it in stock" but it's beginning to look that way...
CHECK EBAY THEY HAVE KIT FOR ES350'S FOR 130.00.

Quick Reply: XM Radio Availability?