ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Price check please

Old 09-28-08, 02:02 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Price check please

Hello everyone, I am a new owner checking in...

I have just closed a deal on an '08 ES350 UL ML. It was near closing time, so the sales man couldn't even show me the actual vehicle I was purchasing...supposedly, the garage has already been locked up. I believe because they don't have ANY new car in the lot, but only used ones. All of the new cars were stored in this garage two blocks away, and so everyone has to test drive the demo.

Anyways, I wanted to know if the UL ML really has a sticker of $45,250. Then, they added tint, and pin striping for another $700. So, it was around $46k total. I bought it for $41k + TTL. Does this seem like a good deal, or could I have done a lot better? Again, since it was closing time, so I couldn't even have picked it up, so I have to come back on Monday. I checked the Lexus website, but they don't have the '08 on there anymore, and the ML package is not showing on their site either.

Thanks in advance on your input.

Kevin
Old 09-28-08, 06:59 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations.

I would try to get the price lower before you take delivery. I would also never buy a car sight unseen. Yes, sticker price is right around $45K. Invoice is around $39K.

The deal is not final because you have not taken delivery.

Last edited by MD350; 09-28-08 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-28-08, 07:35 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

I agee with MD, I would not buy a car without both seeing it in daylight and driving it for at least a few miles. Some cars just don't feel good right from the start and those few cars often never get better. You also want to see the color in the light of day.

And I would still not be afraid to try for a lower price on a 2008. When dealing on cars with either tint or pinstriping I just disregard whatever the dealer has added for these items which I did not ask for in making my offer.

Dave Mac
Old 09-28-08, 10:18 AM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Default Price confirmed

Thanks for your response.

I just came back from checking the inventory of another dealer, and the sticker was $45,285 + tint + pin striping. Maybe I could have paid $1k less, but that's good enough for me. My time's worth more than that.

Kevin
Old 09-28-08, 03:58 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Just do one thing....ask how much an 09 is... I am sure they are now going to tell you $45K. But, if you can get an 09 for about the same price, do it. You will have a 1 year newer car and will benefit at resale time.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

By the way, if the stripe is that sticker crap, cost is about $30. No tint job is worth $700. This is profit for the dealer. I work for an auto finance company, I have seen this time and again...dealers adding aftermarket to their inventory = PROFIT $ $ $ $ $ $ $
Old 09-28-08, 07:13 PM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Default Totally agreed

Although, I feel like I didn't make the best of deals, I have made a decent one. I don't think anyone out there can out smart a dealer at their own game. So, each one of us gotta pitch in to build their empire...some more than others. Furthermore, I hate negating on a "man's handshake". I have 72 hrs to legally back out, but to me 0 hr for a shake.

I'll enjoy the car, and eventually forget all about this. Life's good!
Old 09-29-08, 01:02 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry about cheating the best possible deal. Being a salesman is tough; they deserve some profit. Of course, paying MSRP gives them quite a bit, so undercutting that by a reasonable amount will be fair to both you and the dealer.
Old 09-30-08, 02:26 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, check on your region because Lexus is currently offering two separate promotion for customers including a $1000 rebate.
Old 10-01-08, 10:19 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

It's not the best deal in the world, but for many people (esp those who can afford a $45K car), their time may really be worth more than the $2K. If you're happy, you're happy. And I understand about having shook on it as well.

Next time though, I'd ask on a board for price opinions before negotiating with a dealer. Especially for a new car. They make many of these things so a deal will always be there.
Old 10-01-08, 04:20 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

I checked automotive news...yes, there is a $1,000 rebate on 08 ES350s.
Old 10-01-08, 05:13 PM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Default Update

Well, the girl that purchased my car backed out. It turns out she didn't have a license, and so she isn't able to get insurance. She said that she thought I was just going to hand over my title as her friend told her. So, she was planning to drive it w/o any document.

So, unfortunately, I have to cancel my new car as well as I don't have the room for 3 cars, nor do I want to pay insurance for all 3. Basically, I have wasted a lot of time, but it seems like I have learned a lot through all of this. And, you guys are right, the salesman hinted that I can get an '09 for the same deal. So, when I get rid of my car, then I'll be back to get the '09. Too bad, there's not much, if any, changes at all on the '09.

Thanks very much to all.

Kevin
Old 10-02-08, 12:37 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

The change is that you won't take as big a hit in depreciation with the 09. If you buy an 08 now, you're already buying a year old car. When you can get the 09 for the same price, that makes the 08 a bad deal. Only when a deal can make up for the instant hit in depreciation does it make sense to buy an 08 right before the 09s are out. Even your salesman has basically said so.
Old 10-02-08, 12:59 PM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Default That's obvious

Originally Posted by codex57
The change is that you won't take as big a hit in depreciation with the 09. If you buy an 08 now, you're already buying a year old car. When you can get the 09 for the same price, that makes the 08 a bad deal. Only when a deal can make up for the instant hit in depreciation does it make sense to buy an 08 right before the 09s are out. Even your salesman has basically said so.
Totally agreed with this.

I am very tempted to go with the GS350 now since it's only around $5k more. What are y'all opinion on the GS vs the ES? Also, the engine has about 30 more HP, but the car is rated the same in MPG. Is this a mistake? I know they're the same engines, but if the ES is detuned to 272, then why doesn't it get better MPG. It's even slower 0-60 as well, by quite a bit! It just doesn't add up.

Last edited by KevGS460ML; 10-02-08 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-02-08, 01:09 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by KevES350UL
Totally agreed with this.

I am very tempted to go with the GS350 now since it's only around $5k more. What are y'all opinion on the GS vs the ES? Also, the engine has about 30 more HP, but the car is rated the same in MPG. Is this a mistake? I know they're the same engines, but if the ES is detuned to 272, then why doesn't it get better MPG. It's even slower 0-60 as well, by quite a bit! It just doesn't add up.
The IS and GS 350's have direct injection which accounts for the higher hp rating. Lexus probably won't give the ES DI in order to keep the separation between the other models.
Old 10-02-08, 01:23 PM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Default My point

is that the GS is bigger (and heavier) than the ES. It has more HP than the ES, and is faster than the ES, but it rivals the ES in MPG.

If your response is the engine is more efficient because of DI, then why does it get better MPG than the IS, which also has DI. And, the GS is MUCH bigger than the IS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Price check please