ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Is this a good asking price

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-08, 03:46 PM
sk72
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good asking price

I am planning to do a plunge on a 08' Es350 considering that lexus is extending the sale event and I will be eligible for a $1K discount towards my next ES.

I am planning to go for a PP Package with Navigation which has a MSRP of $43K and I am planning to ask $37K because I am going for a 08' model and the dealers need to clear out their stock as well. I am wondering if this is a good price..

I have 06' ES330 with Nav... an the dealer was offering me 18K for a trade... this number was a total joke... I guess I would rather just sell it privately which it retails about 24K.

Please advice...

Thanks in Advance!!!
Old 09-07-08, 06:28 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, sell your old car on your own. The dealer wants to make some profit and low ball you on your trade to make up for the lack of profit on the new car purchase.

Also, just remember, the 08 is now a year old. So, are you really getting a good deal? As soon as you drive it off the lot, it is a 1 year old car worth less than an 09 anyway.

Unless you keep your cars a long time (which it seems you don't), I would wait for all 08s to be sold, then go for an 09. I am sure the 09's will be priced similar in a month or two.

Just my 2 cents. good luck
Old 09-08-08, 11:42 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

I agree. It doesn't sound like you keep your cars for very long. The ES drops to near invoice prices in most markets about a month or two after the next year model comes out. And there are sales events all the time (lately, seems the sales events really only help out those who lease). In some markets, they're continuously going for under invoice (like California). See Edmunds.com to get an idea of what invoice price is (there are some legit fees the dealer tacks on that make the price a bit higher than the Edmunds invoice price, but that's very market specific).
Old 09-08-08, 07:34 PM
sk72
Pole Position

Default Quote on Truffle Mica

Okay guys here we go..

I got a quote on a 08' Pebble Beach Edition PPP Package with Navigation for $36,400 Plus tax, destination chrg and title fees.

I think I can push a little lower maybe to 36K flat. Let me know what you guys think?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 09-08-08, 11:06 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

What's the invoice?
Old 09-09-08, 01:33 PM
sk72
Pole Position

Hi,

The MSRP in edmunds is as follows $47825 and the invoice is $37,798. I got my dealer to fax me the vehicle specs and the MSRP listed there is $43,495.

Based on edmund's there is a 10K difference between the MSRP and the Invoice. My offer was given out in the first email by the dealer.

Any thoughts on what the invoice would be on MSRP 43,495??

Thanks...
Old 09-09-08, 02:05 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Something's not adding up.

First of all, $47000 sounds awfully high for the Pebble Beach package. Heck, that's high for the Ultra Luxury package unless you've got that pre-collision option in there as well. And a $10K swing btw invoice and MSRP is too high for an ES. Should be a bit closer together.

The weird thing is, I went to Edmunds to take a look. For an 08, I can't even find the Pebble Beach option package on their list. I played around and got it to show up on their TMV pricing report screen, but the MSRP was $44,245 and Invoice of $35,366. So, if their MSRP was lower, then the invoice should be as well. I know Maryland doesn't have as many competing Lexus dealers, but I'd think you should be able to get a price in the $35,000 range. Otherwise, I'd consider getting it at a dealer in another state/region and consider having it shipped in.
Old 09-09-08, 04:43 PM
sk72
Pole Position

Yeah... it sounds awfully high.. if you choose Truffle Mica on the color section in Edmunds, it automatically reverts to the pebble beach edition with the number I mentioned earlier... I guess probbaly it adds up all the available options including Nav w/ML, Pre-coll, Laser guided radar and etc...

I was shocked as well.. anyways I was thinking around the same price range as well.. since it's not a rush.. I guess I am going to ask for it plus a trade is also involved so it's really going to be fun at the dealership for me tommorow

Thanks for your advice!!!
Old 09-09-08, 07:53 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

It's hit or miss whether a regular sales person will show you the actual dealer invoice, but if you speak with the fleet manager, they normally have no problems giving you the invoice and then giving you a price.

The tricky part is, if you straight e-mail, many dealers are set up where a regular sales person can intercept the e-mail directed at the fleet manager. If you're not paying attention, you may be dealing with a regular sales person instead of the fleet manager you were expecting. It's best to find out from the dealer website who s/he is, and then call and ask for them instead of e-mailing.

When I bought, I e-mailed a ton of dealers. I think only a couple of actual fleet/internet sales managers e-mailed me back. Most were just regular sales people. The guy I bought from was just a regular sales guy if memory serves, but he was very polite and professional and gave me a good deal so I went with him over another dealer with the same offer but much more impolite tone.
Old 09-11-08, 05:50 PM
terrain
Pole Position

SK - so what was the result of your deal?

Originally Posted by sk72
Yeah... it sounds awfully high.. if you choose Truffle Mica on the color section in Edmunds, it automatically reverts to the pebble beach edition with the number I mentioned earlier... I guess probbaly it adds up all the available options including Nav w/ML, Pre-coll, Laser guided radar and etc...

I was shocked as well.. anyways I was thinking around the same price range as well.. since it's not a rush.. I guess I am going to ask for it plus a trade is also involved so it's really going to be fun at the dealership for me tommorow

Thanks for your advice!!!
Old 09-11-08, 07:15 PM
sk72
Pole Position

Hi all,

Thanks for all the help.. I finally completed the deal last night on 08 Pebble Beach Edition Fully Loaded. (Not a UL though)

The dealers last price was 36.3K Plus Tax & Tags... (MSRP 43.4K & Invoice of 38.4K). It was almost 2K below invoice and I thought it was a great deal considering a buddy of mine got the similar car in July for 42K OTD.

I will not be financing with Lexus this time as their APR is insane (5.99%) considering having a excellent credit history. A credit union where I am member is offering on 4.74%.

I will be picking the car this weekend!!! will be posting pics soon!!

Thanks

Last edited by sk72; 09-11-08 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-11-08, 10:51 PM
nightowl76
Driver School Candidate

Default Is the ES 08 really selling below invoice?

I'm almost about to buy an 08 ES with PP package and DVD nav. Dealer is quoting invoice of $34,200 and msrp of $42,000. He is willing to sell at invoice. so OTD would be $37,700.

Can I get a better deal by asking for below invoice??

Also after reading this thread I'm beginning to think whether to wait for the 09 ES. If as one member points out, the 09 will sell at invoice pretty soon, I guess it makes sense to wait.

Thanks!
Old 09-12-08, 03:48 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you either

A) Drive well above the average of 15K per year in miles or
B) Keep your cars 5 years or more

Wait and buy and 09. The 08s are 1 year old already and have depreciated.
Old 09-12-08, 02:27 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Yeah, I'd wait. You may not get $2K under invoice (that's pretty sweet - congrats sk72), but $500-1000 under a couple months after the 09s come out isn't out of the question.
Old 09-12-08, 05:45 PM
terrain
Pole Position

Congrats SK - we drove a Pebble and liked it but I could do w/out the Pebble Decals... on the car we drove the left driver side decal was peeling a bit and overall the decals looked like a big afterthought.

What does the UL bring to the party?

Quick Reply: Is this a good asking price