ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

NAV screen out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 09:55 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NAV screen out!

Recently, my NAV screen has been going completely blank for 5 minutes at a time. During the blank, I have no access to AC, phone, or any part of the console or buttons on the steering wheel. Is it possible that someone accidentally set a "sleep" option? I dont think so because the screen would be back up within 5 minutes all by itself. Anyone have any insights? I think this might be a service repair. Pls advise. Thanks
Old 07-29-08, 03:18 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You are under full warranty. Take it to the dealer. It sounds like a bad power connection or software failure.
Old 07-30-08, 04:30 AM
static
Driver

You might want to clear all of your personal data out of it in case they swap it.
Old 08-02-08, 07:26 PM
mmrfr
Rookie

Its just a normal trait of this wonderful car!!!
Old 08-03-08, 09:42 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmrfr
Its just a normal trait of this wonderful car!!!
you might be right. took the car to the dealership friday morning at 7am. Got a loaner for the day. At 2pm, they called me and told me no error codes were found with their diagnostics. They let my car run for 20 minutes on 3 occasions and could not replicate. So nothing was done. I might have to video tape it when it happens again....maybe it might not happen again, since I noticed they reset everything...kinda like a reboot.
Old 08-04-08, 08:58 AM
Tarkio
Driver School Candidate

Obviously, a broken NAV system is not normal. It sounds like a faulty electronic connection which is always hard to diagnose. Your dealer will fix it, but they have to see the problem to know what it is.
Old 08-12-08, 04:21 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Tarkio
Obviously, a broken NAV system is not normal. It sounds like a faulty electronic connection which is always hard to diagnose. Your dealer will fix it, but they have to see the problem to know what it is.
I am determined to document it. It happens during slow traffic, 40 minutes into the ride....and BLANK. I am taking my video camera with me tomorrow. This is getting annoying.
Old 08-12-08, 06:06 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call lexus customer service. They will direct the dealer to pull the unit and replace it and put an end to this tennis match.

They got involved with my warped rotors about 6 months ago. Wow, did the dealer change their tune once Lexus was involved.

Good luck

Last edited by MD350; 08-12-08 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-15-08, 05:25 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

I am not fighting with Lexus yet before I get my documentations ready. Today, on my way to work, I experienced 5 blanks during the 60-minute commute. The blanks lasted between 1 to 9 minutes each. I am going to film it on monday, and have DVD ready by Wednesday morning. If they try to wiggle out of it, Lexus corporate will hear from me.
Old 08-15-08, 09:58 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only reason why I say to call Lexus is because your dealer's only concern is to be able to get paid for the job under a warranty claim. They need to be able to show Lexus there is an issue. If they don't see an issue, they can't claim it.

If Lexus tells your dealer they will pay for the warranty claim regardless, the dealer will replace it.

Just trying to save you time. Let us know how it works out.
Old 08-26-08, 09:09 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Okay... I video taped the problem...took it to dealership. They replaced the NAV unit. Took 3 days...everything looks good. I have the new version with new features....minor added features though (like AC off prompt, and FWY exit list).

Now..my problem is...I dont remember how to set some features. Last night when I drove home, it was dark out, and normally the map turns black with white roads. But it didn't! Can someone advise me on how to set it to auto night mode?

Also, has anyone had any experience with home-copied DVD-R movies on the ML? My audio skips when I put in a DVD-R. Plays normal DVD fine. Any idea?
Old 08-26-08, 10:02 AM
MARINE
Driver

Originally Posted by Kaius88
Okay... I video taped the problem...took it to dealership. They replaced the NAV unit. Took 3 days...everything looks good. I have the new version with new features....minor added features though (like AC off prompt, and FWY exit list).

Now..my problem is...I dont remember how to set some features. Last night when I drove home, it was dark out, and normally the map turns black with white roads. But it didn't! Can someone advise me on how to set it to auto night mode?

Also, has anyone had any experience with home-copied DVD-R movies on the ML? My audio skips when I put in a DVD-R. Plays normal DVD fine. Any idea?
Make sure the dimmer switch is NOT locked in the up poistion. Meaning the max brightness. This sets the nav screen to daylight when I use LEDs inside lights. They truly suck! Rather have a flashlight hanging on the ceiling lol.
Old 08-27-08, 09:25 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MARINE
Make sure the dimmer switch is NOT locked in the up poistion. Meaning the max brightness. This sets the nav screen to daylight when I use LEDs inside lights. They truly suck! Rather have a flashlight hanging on the ceiling lol.
Works like a charm. Thanks! Didn't know the dimmer actually locks in up position like that.
Old 08-27-08, 12:21 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kaius, how are you doing, my bizarre brother? Are you sure you didn't put you fist through the NAV screen? That intermittent problem really sounded like a loose connector or faulty wire. Glad everything is fixed and you can enjoy your car again! Hope everything is well with you, cause I haven't seen any of your personal stories posted in here for a very long time
Old 08-28-08, 05:53 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twister
Kaius, how are you doing, my bizarre brother? Are you sure you didn't put you fist through the NAV screen? That intermittent problem really sounded like a loose connector or faulty wire. Glad everything is fixed and you can enjoy your car again! Hope everything is well with you, cause I haven't seen any of your personal stories posted in here for a very long time
So this hooker comes up to me and asks, "how much you want for this car?"..... Hahahah sorry... no funny stories at the moment. Gosh I feel like such an old dude now that I stopped exercising and going out. Anyway, my apprentice just got a BMW I335, and parked next to me. All I gotta say is I am glad I got a Lexus.