ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
Old 12-15-14, 04:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Friend's 2007 Lexus ES350 passenger window fell out.

Old 10-16-11, 02:04 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go back to the dealer. You should most likely get it fixed at n/c again.
Old 10-17-11, 07:01 PM
ifli43
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES350 Window Tabs

I replaced 3 windows or more correctly Lexus did including re tinting. You have to make a real fuss preferably when the GM is available and lots of folk in the showroom. You are not alone and Lexus will not acknowledge the issue in public. Now replaced with an Audi! Ifli43
Old 10-28-11, 01:47 AM
Lextech79
Driver School Candidate

Yes the ES does have window regulator problems and it is common.
Old 02-09-12, 01:43 PM
key4078
Driver School Candidate

I replaced both driver-side and passenger-side windows of my ES350 out of warranty last year and paid over $1400. I will never buy Lexus again!!!
Old 02-10-12, 05:40 AM
RyanC
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this issue only effecting the 2007-2008 models? The TSB says that improvements were made so the issue would not occur anymore on newer cars - so I'm surprised the issue is happening more than once to folks if the TSB replaces the window with the new parts. I wonder if there is something else that changed to fix the problem in newer models?
Old 02-10-12, 10:24 AM
retired
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation defective plastic retainer tabs

I have addressed this issue in the past....This is a problem in the side windows in the 07 and 08 es350's.....The window does not fall out, it pops off track....The plastic tabs that hold the window to the regulator crack and fail to retain the window on track..Therefore, the window will protrude away from the window frame...Lexus will warrant this defect for 4 years or 50k...The tell tale sign that the plastic is about to crack is the the window will make a POPPING SOUND when moving in the up position..........THIS IS THE TIME TO HAVE IT CHECKED...If the car is out of warranty the replacement price is $660....However, I went to a glass shop that offered a lifetime warranty and had it done for $220...This shop did not have the expertise to reset the PINCH PROTECTOR and Lexus quoted a price of around $100... I decided to not have the pinch protector reset, but it is very easy to do, after the door panel is removed....Hope this helps
Old 02-13-12, 06:01 AM
key4078
Driver School Candidate

Since my 2007 ES350 had run a little over 50k (thus, was out of warranty) at that time , the local Lexus service dept refused to replace it FOC. They said each replacement would cost $984. But, when we checked with a local Toyota service dept, their serice charge was $700. (The Toyota technicians also didn't understand why they should replace the entire window glasses because of those small plastic pieces.) If I went to the Lexus service, I should have spent $2k for both.
Old 02-13-12, 08:18 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I saw the set up -complete module including glass. No plastic parts separate. You would think they would have come up with a better solution / part by now.
Old 04-09-12, 01:50 PM
lunker10
Driver School Candidate

Angry Defective Window Regulator on ES 350

I have a 2007 with 29,000 miles! The driver window disconnected from the window regulator and had to be duct taped to the door frame. I thought the bolts that hold the regulator to the window had fallen out as this had happened to me on a Mercury that was 12 years old. The dealer charged me $130 to tell me the tabs on the window regulator had broken off and he wanted $850 to replace the regulator! This is the worst design quality I have ever seen in ANY car yet alone a premium car and I have owned many cars over the last 40 years.

The dealer said he will try to get Lexus to cover it but from the message traffic I have seen, Lexus will not cover these repairs.

Anyone had any success getting Lexus to cover their design/quality mistake?
Old 04-09-12, 03:08 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Unless you have an extended warranty, it will be up to you to pay.
Old 04-09-12, 05:41 PM
retired
Driver

Originally Posted by lunker10
I have a 2007 with 29,000 miles! The driver window disconnected from the window regulator and had to be duct taped to the door frame. I thought the bolts that hold the regulator to the window had fallen out as this had happened to me on a Mercury that was 12 years old. The dealer charged me $130 to tell me the tabs on the window regulator had broken off and he wanted $850 to replace the regulator! This is the worst design quality I have ever seen in ANY car yet alone a premium car and I have owned many cars over the last 40 years.

The dealer said he will try to get Lexus to cover it but from the message traffic I have seen, Lexus will not cover these repairs.

Anyone had any success getting Lexus to cover their design/quality mistake?
Here is what I posted earlier as Lexus failed to help and refuses to admit to a design problem..

I have addressed this issue in the past....This is a problem in the side windows in the 07 and 08 es350's.....The window does not fall out, it pops off track....The plastic tabs that hold the window to the regulator crack and fail to retain the window on track..Therefore, the window will protrude away from the window frame...Lexus will warrant this defect for 4 years or 50k...The tell tale sign that the plastic is about to crack is the the window will make a POPPING SOUND when moving in the up position..........THIS IS THE TIME TO HAVE IT CHECKED...If the car is out of warranty the replacement price is $660....However, I went to a glass shop that offered a lifetime warranty and had it done for $220...This shop did not have the expertise to reset the PINCH PROTECTOR and Lexus quoted a price of around $100... I decided to not have the pinch protector reset, but it is very easy to do, after the door panel is removed.... If you use a glass shop, make sure they are able to reset the pinch protector..hope this helps..The pinch potector can be overridden when auto up is not used...hope this helps
Old 04-11-12, 01:31 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by retired
Here is what I posted earlier as Lexus failed to help and refuses to admit to a design problem..
It was a design issue, yes, but Lexus has hardly "refused" to admit it. Lexus put out a service bulletin in Jan. of 2009 "admitting" to the problem. That's over 4 years ago. Blame Lexus for the flaw but don't spout off about Lexus not acknowledging the issue. The bulletin is posted earlier in this thread if you want to see it. The bulletin is cold hard evidence that Lexus did not refuse to acknowledge anything.

Last edited by IS350jet; 04-12-12 at 03:39 AM.
Old 04-12-12, 06:09 AM
lunker10
Driver School Candidate

You folks need an education on how those windows are designed. The reliable way to connect the regulator to the window is to waterjet 2 holes into the glass and mechanically connect the window to the regulator with bolts or rivets. This is how REPUTABLE auto designers operate. This basically lasts forever. Lexus and some low reliability US manufacturers figured out they can save $4.00 per window by gluing plastic tabs onto the glass and mounting the regulators thru these tabs. They also use less glass. The etching compound used to prep the glass to the tab can react with the plastic tab causing the plastic to get brittle and break over time. And/or the plastic tab is formulated with insufficient plasticizer (expensive part of the plastic formulation) which also causes the plastic to get brittle and break. You would think that when you buy a premium car you would get the best design but we got the worst design from Lexus. They are not about to fix all these defective vehicles at $2000 per copy. Our only recourse is to file a complaint at www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov. The government forced Toyota to do a recall in 2008 for a similar problem on bad window connections on Corollas and Matrix. See NHTSA Campaign 08V162000. Signed Materials Engineer.
Old 04-12-12, 06:56 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lunker10
You folks need an education on how those windows are designed. The reliable way to connect the regulator to the window is to waterjet 2 holes into the glass and mechanically connect the window to the regulator with bolts or rivets. This is how REPUTABLE auto designers operate. This basically lasts forever. Lexus and some low reliability US manufacturers figured out they can save $4.00 per window by gluing plastic tabs onto the glass and mounting the regulators thru these tabs. They also use less glass. The etching compound used to prep the glass to the tab can react with the plastic tab causing the plastic to get brittle and break over time. And/or the plastic tab is formulated with insufficient plasticizer (expensive part of the plastic formulation) which also causes the plastic to get brittle and break. You would think that when you buy a premium car you would get the best design but we got the worst design from Lexus. They are not about to fix all these defective vehicles at $2000 per copy. Our only recourse is to file a complaint at www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov. The government forced Toyota to do a recall in 2008 for a similar problem on bad window connections on Corollas and Matrix. See NHTSA Campaign 08V162000. Signed Materials Engineer.
The Corolla recall is a whole different ball game. It's a recall because there were possible injuries associated with the glass shattering, and has been deemed a safety issue. There have been 0 reports of the glass shattering or any kind of injury reported with the Lexus broken window tab. The design may very well be faulty, but Lexus stepped up and has since updated the part to be stronger and more reliable. Lexus reacted swiftly to fix the problem.
BMW is also a premium brand, dare I say, more so than Lexus, but I can guarantee, you'll find more broken BMW 3 series window regulators in the scrap yard than Lexus windows, not to mention failed *plastic* water pumps, high pressure fuel pumps, etc.
The bottom line is, while no car is perfect, Lexus ranks among the top in quality and reliability.
Old 04-12-12, 05:28 PM
retired
Driver

Originally Posted by IS350jet
It was a design issue, yes, but Lexus has hardly "refused" to admit it. Lexus put out a service bulletin in Jan. of 2009 "admitting" to the problem. That's over 4 years ago. Blame Lexus for the flaw but don't spout off about Lexus not acknowledging the issue. The bulletin is posted earlier in this thread if you want to see it. The bulletin is cold hard evidence that Lexus did not refuse to acknowledge anything.
I stand corrected..LEXUS has not refused to admit a problem...WHAT I MEANT TO SAY AND SHOULD HAVE SAID IS THAT LEXUS REFUSED TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for the design DEFECT...If you surpass the the 4 year/50,000 mile warranty, they say it is THE OWNERS PROBLEM...If the window defect was a safety issue then LEXUS would do the RIGHT THING..What a shame that a $42,000 LUXURY car has this DEFECT..... Also, LEXUS could have notified owners in 2009 of the potential problem.. I was not aware of the SERVICE BULLETIN until after the window came off track..........

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Friend's 2007 Lexus ES350 passenger window fell out.