ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Worth buying an 07 car from eBay/CL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 11:43 PM
rukna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth buying an 07 car from eBay/CL?

I'm looking to buy a used 07 ES 350 on eBay/CL, but after having read some of the complaints from the ES owners on this forum, I'm having second thoughts.

How common is the transmission flaring and knocking issues with the 07 models? I'm in the talks with an individual out of FL who is giving up his ES "reluctantly due to family medical bills". The car looks great from inside and outside and is priced quite reasonably, for what it's worth. BUT, do you guys think it'd a good idea, given the problems?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-08, 06:26 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not buy it "sight unseen". You need to test drive it on a cold engine. Check for flares on the tranny and cold engine knock.

I would also try to get a copy of the service records from Lexus.

There are some good ones out there, there are some bad ones. There are also some bad ones that are owned by people who do not notice the flares and think they are good. So, that is why a test drive is so important.

Good luck.
Old 04-29-08, 11:12 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Yes, definitely need to see it in person. The tough part is the problems seem to show up more during cold weather. You get real cold in NJ. Doesn't happen in Florida so even if you fly down there, the problems might not show until you bring the car back to NJ and winter hits.
Old 04-29-08, 11:22 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

I wouldn't make a big purchase like that on e-bay.....I too would have to see the car first.
Old 04-29-08, 11:52 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't know what kind of price you can get in FL off of e-bay, but you might be better off shopping around locally for a good CPO ES350 from a local or nearby dealer. Good warranty and local contact for service/issues etc.

Car sales are slowing and you can probably get a good deal on a CPO car.
Old 04-29-08, 03:12 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Last year, I was keeping track of the number of e-bay motors ES350 cars for sale that were due to buybacks from Lexus due to transmission replacements / problems. The vast majority were buybacks by Lexus and in some states, the title must state that it is a manufacturer's buyback. Be wary - work with a local dealer if you must have a used ES350.
Old 04-29-08, 05:02 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

not to mention the fact that you dont get lemon law protection on a used car, only on a new one
Old 04-29-08, 10:48 PM
rukna
Driver School Candidate

All good points, thanks! I've spoken to the seller a couple of times already and he claims to have not had any issues whatsoever, so like some of you said, I'd have to take a chance to experience it when the winter comes around later this year. I guess I would've taken that chance with a new/used one if I were to buy it locally here in NJ.

I'm having a good friend in FL who happens to live 15 mins away from where the car is at to look at it and make sure he doesn't notice any obvious imperfections both cosmetically and mechanically.

Here are some images off of the auction, what do you guys think?

Old 04-30-08, 06:04 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

I am not a fan of the chrome package. Seems a little too much for my taste.

Remember, if this is a bad one and you need to sell it, you will have a narrow market due to the custom work on this car.

If you take the risk, make sure you get a very good price.
Old 04-30-08, 06:49 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
I am not a fan of the chrome package. Seems a little too much for my taste.

Remember, if this is a bad one and you need to sell it, you will have a narrow market due to the custom work on this car.

If you take the risk, make sure you get a very good price.
I agree. Given the conservative nature of the majority of potential ES buyers, the chrome package would no doubt detract from the resale value.
Old 04-30-08, 10:20 AM
rukna
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again for your valuable opinion! My wife and I are both in our mid-to-late 20s, so don't mind the extra "bling" Also, we don't have any plans to resell the car, at least not for a long time.

The car has all the options minus Mark Lev and has ~10K miles on it. The price negotiated is 32K + delivery costs. You guys think it's a decent deal?

Last edited by rukna; 04-30-08 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-30-08, 12:04 PM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver

yes, that is a very good deal as long as the car is straight
Old 04-30-08, 12:58 PM
AccElan01
Rookie

I would be very careful if I were you. The kind of person that would drive a car with all of that extra "decoration" is the kind of person that probably shouldn't be trusted.
Old 04-30-08, 05:57 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rukna
Thanks again for your valuable opinion! My wife and I are both in our mid-to-late 20s, so don't mind the extra "bling" Also, we don't have any plans to resell the car, at least not for a long time.

The car has all the options minus Mark Lev and has ~10K miles on it. The price negotiated is 32K + delivery costs. You guys think it's a decent deal?
If you are in your mid to late 20's, have you listened to the non-ML radio on the ES? In my opinion, it is a poor system. If you are looking used and you feel that $32K is a great deal, it may be worth another couple grand and get a UL car with ML and the works. Just my two cents.

A local dealer was selling a used 07 UL car for $36K. Private sale market must be around $34K?? No chrome, of course.
Old 04-30-08, 07:50 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by garsarno
Last year, I was keeping track of the number of e-bay motors ES350 cars for sale that were due to buybacks from Lexus due to transmission replacements / problems. The vast majority were buybacks by Lexus and in some states, the title must state that it is a manufacturer's buyback. Be wary - work with a local dealer if you must have a used ES350.
What he said in spades. Had one of these....horrible...would not touch one of these...especially without having been able to test drive it. No, no, no. Buy elsewhere for another model/make.

Quick Reply: Worth buying an 07 car from eBay/CL?