ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Any tips on keeping a black car clean and free of swirl marks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-08, 10:06 AM
LexusFan2
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any tips on keeping a black car clean and free of swirl marks?

I'll be getting a new black ES350 soon. This will be the first car I own in that color. I have a couple friends who have black cars and I've noticed two things:

-it collects and shows a lot of dust and dirt
-there are circular swirl marks on the paint if you look closely, possibly from washing

Any suggestions on keeping these two items to a minimum?
Old 04-21-08, 10:12 AM
Big Willy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexusFan2
I'll be getting a new black ES350 soon. This will be the first car I own in that color. I have a couple friends who have black cars and I've noticed two things:

-it collects and shows a lot of dust and dirt
-there are circular swirl marks on the paint if you look closely, possibly from washing

Any suggestions on keeping these two items to a minimum?
3M Hand Glaze. Then a nice wax over top. The 3m is not a wax, it is a glaze compound that fills in the scratches from towels and things like that. The more you use it the better your car will look.
Old 04-21-08, 12:01 PM
quatman67
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever you do stay away from automatic car washes, even the so called soft touch washes. I used to have a black Maxima for ten years and never once took it to a car wash and the paint was swirl free. Simply hand wash at least once a week and wax 2 or 3 times a year.
Old 04-22-08, 07:48 AM
samathews
Driver School Candidate

There is a lot of good advice on how to wash a car on autopia.com and other detailing sites (probably here as well). Simple keys would be:

1) NEVER NEVER go to an automatic car wash
2) Use quality materials
3) Be careful when you wash to ensure you are not draging dirt or dust accross the paint (rinse sponge/mitt often - very often; do not rub hard)
4) When you dry use zero pressure on the towel - and make sure it is a good microfiber towel.
5) Keep a good sealant or wax on the car.

If you start reading the detailing forums, you will learn a lot. You will also learn, unfortunately, that Lexus paint is soft and swirls easily.
Old 04-22-08, 07:55 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a white car. Actually, on my black Accord, I think that the BEST tool I have to keep that car clean is a microfiber towel. That thing attracts dirt like bees to honey, and I carry around cleaning supplies with me in the trunk. It seems like every day I'm pulling out my microfiber towel to wipe something here or clean something there. As they say in HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy "A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have."

-Regan
Old 04-22-08, 04:49 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

i use the California Car Duster mop on a stick. Works nicely. Just make sure if you catch some grainy debris, you need to shake it off or else the grains will scratch your paint!
Old 04-22-08, 05:44 PM
MShybrid
Pole Position

Maintaining a swirlfree finish on a black car can be difficult but it can be done.
1) Never let the dealership was your car and never use the drive thru car washes.
2) Invest in some good detailing products, they will be needed. A Porter Cable polisher or a UDM is a must.
3) always use a good quality car wash. I would suggest Duragloss Car wash. Prior to washing your car, always spray it down and remove as much dirt as possible. If you have a foam applicator (cheap ones will work) Foam your car with the car wash nd loosen the dirt.
4) always use the 2 bucket method, cleaning and rensing your wash mitt often
4) polish the surface as needed
5) Add a good sealant and then top off with a good quality wax
6)Never dry dust your car, always use a good quality QD such as Aquawax.
Visit sites such as

www.autopia.org
www.autogeek.net

Their forums are loaded with valuable information and can provide quick answers to any detailing question you may have
Old 04-24-08, 07:11 PM
jgtile
Driver

MSHybrid is right on!!! I just started detailing and autopia-carcare.com and autogeek.NET/pinnaclewax.com (these two are the same company) are great. On the Pinnacle website (below) is a great video that shows you what to do....it pushes their products but still is a good video.
http://www.pinnaclewax.com/productline.html (hit the CLICK HERE button in the middle of the page). Or go to the HOW-TO section of the autopia-carcare.com website. I purchased Ultima and Sonus products from autopia-carcare.com and the Pinnacle wheel & tire kit from Pinnacle (and some things from autogeek.net). I didn't have swirls but both of these sites can help you. Good luck!!! (I have black also...nothing like a fine detailed black car!!!)