ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

More ES350 problems ........

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-08, 02:48 PM
gappell
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down More ES350 problems ........

I have one of the first ES350's bought in May of 2006. It is a top of the line UL and has been in the shop more than any other car I have owned.

I just got back from a trip from Florida to Charleston and had my PCS fail for the third time. In case you don't know, the PCS is the pre-collision radar system. When it fails you lose the cruise control. I had to drive I95 for almost 1000 miles without cruise control.

I have had it in the shop for wind noise, navigation failure and transmission firmware. Most of these required multiple visits to find a fix.

It is back to the shop tomorrow and I have told them to keep the car until they figure out how to make a permanent repair.

Beware the desire for new gadgets. Those with the stock ES350 only contend with transmission and wind noise problems.
Old 03-20-08, 02:50 PM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

its just the little gadgets that are failing.. the car itself is still in prime shape.
Old 03-20-08, 02:59 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by gappell

I have one of the first ES350's bought in May of 2006. It is a top of the line UL and has been in the shop more than any other car I have owned.

I just got back from a trip from Florida to Charleston and had my PCS fail for the third time. In case you don't know, the PCS is the pre-collision radar system. When it fails you lose the cruise control. I had to drive I95 for almost 1000 miles without cruise control.

I have had it in the shop for wind noise, navigation failure and transmission firmware. Most of these required multiple visits to find a fix.

It is back to the shop tomorrow and I have told them to keep the car until they figure out how to make a permanent repair.

Beware the desire for new gadgets. Those with the stock ES350 only contend with transmission and wind noise problems.
Sorry to hear about your problems. I bought my car the 1st week in May '06. It's a 4/06 build and it's been problem free to date. I don't have the PCS, but no nav, wind nosie or trans problems. I hope that your dealer is able to get things fixed for you. Good idea to just leave it until things are fixed.
Old 03-20-08, 03:07 PM
SmokeyES35
Pole Position

wind noise?.. no havent had that problem
Old 03-20-08, 04:46 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the bottom line is that a consumer should not purchase a vehicle during its first model year, no matter what make or model. Let the manuf. get all of the bugs out during the first year.

I really thought the above rule only applied to American cars. I thought Lexus was safe.

Well, consider it lesson learned.
Old 03-20-08, 08:43 PM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MD350
I think the bottom line is that a consumer should not purchase a vehicle during its first model year, no matter what make or model. Let the manuf. get all of the bugs out during the first year.

I really thought the above rule only applied to American cars. I thought Lexus was safe.

Well, consider it lesson learned.
someone has to buy the vehicle..... =] if no one goes for it then the manufacturer will pull it out... and there wouldnt be a second year for it.
Old 03-21-08, 04:19 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Sorry to hear about that..

I will tell you first hand that the PCS systems are very difficult to calibrate. I have had a handful of vehicles come back on me because the calibrations I performed did not stick. Lexus gives you a VERY detailed and complicated way to perform this. It really should of been a lot more simple.

As you know, the transmission issues are pretty widespread, but if the dealership is knowledgable on the issue, it should be no problem to handle a transmission properly by now.

Unfortunately, as the vehicles get more complicated, new issues start to arise. As interiors get quieter and quieter, things like road noise and wind noises start to be more obvious than before.

Hopefully your dealership can take care of your vehicle this time around.
Old 03-21-08, 06:54 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gappel,

I hope you get your issues resolved quickly...

MD...,

The concern of new model release crossed my mind since lately the Genesis has gotten my attention.

I realized though that thanks to the internet one needs only wait 6 months since a new vehicle release and then read manufacturer specific forums by owners like here to figure out right away a model has multiple, serious and widespread issues and then avoid it.

These forums beat Consumer Reports, J D Power etc. by 6 months to a full year with quality info. It was obvious the ES had widespread issues from the content here and elsewhere for that matter amassed within 6 months of it's release, the various problems were listed and discussed by numerous owners, attempts at disinformation of number of vehicles having issues, the rough treatment of owners trying to get resolutions, was all here within 6 months for anyone interested to review as part of their potential purchase decision making.

I'll screen for the above from forums and of course always use our member created pre-purchase check for/drive first list for any car decision I make in the future.
Old 03-21-08, 10:50 AM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Plus, you want at least 6 months for the initial demand to go down so dealers will be more reasonable in price.
Old 03-21-08, 11:23 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by codex57
Plus, you want at least 6 months for the initial demand to go down so dealers will be more reasonable in price.
Good point. Wish I'd done that!
Old 03-21-08, 11:48 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
gappel,

I hope you get your issues resolved quickly...

MD...,

The concern of new model release crossed my mind since lately the Genesis has gotten my attention.

I realized though that thanks to the internet one needs only wait 6 months since a new vehicle release and then read manufacturer specific forums by owners like here to figure out right away a model has multiple, serious and widespread issues and then avoid it.

These forums beat Consumer Reports, J D Power etc. by 6 months to a full year with quality info. It was obvious the ES had widespread issues from the content here and elsewhere for that matter amassed within 6 months of it's release, the various problems were listed and discussed by numerous owners, attempts at disinformation of number of vehicles having issues, the rough treatment of owners trying to get resolutions, was all here within 6 months for anyone interested to review as part of their potential purchase decision making.

I'll screen for the above from forums and of course always use our member created pre-purchase check for/drive first list for any car decision I make in the future.
What you said is an excellent method and I know more and more people who lurk specific car forums just looking to see what new owners in general are saying about the cars but at the same time we bought the ES350 on May 1st of 2006 and did not even stop to think about problems.

I know the ES has trans problems but back in 2002 when I purchased a V8 4Runner with an all new 5speed I took the gamble and figured Toyota knows what they are doing so when purchasing the ES I did not even think anything would occur with the 6speed.
Old 03-21-08, 03:45 PM
gatorcb
Driver

Originally Posted by onepointon

I will tell you first hand that the PCS systems are very difficult to calibrate. I have had a handful of vehicles come back on me because the calibrations I performed did not stick. Lexus gives you a VERY detailed and complicated way to perform this. It really should of been a lot more simple.

As you know, the transmission issues are pretty widespread, but if the dealership is knowledgable on the issue, it should be no problem to handle a transmission properly by now.

Unfortunately, as the vehicles get more complicated, new issues start to arise. As interiors get quieter and quieter, things like road noise and wind noises start to be more obvious than before.

Have the transmissions of 2008 been any better? If you have very infrequent flares, is it just better to wait since there warranty coverage goes for 6 years?
Old 03-22-08, 11:19 AM
gappell
Rookie

Smile

Originally Posted by onepointon

I had a call from the dealer service manager yesterday and they have decided to replace the radar system. They are ordering the parts and he estimated that the job would be completed by Tuesday. He mentioned that the parts cost about $5000. Good thing it is under warranty. I will post the results next week.
Old 03-22-08, 11:37 AM
jgtile
Driver

Default Infrequent flares here

Originally Posted by gatorcb
Have the transmissions of 2008 been any better? If you have very infrequent flares, is it just better to wait since there warranty coverage goes for 6 years?
gatorcb, I got my 08 ES UL in Dec 07. At 20mph during deceleration and sometimes at 40mph there seems to be a slight transmission flare but nothing that is so annoying that I would get rid of my car. In fact, the flare seems to help in certain circumstances (like in snow up a hill, etc). Not sure why. But it wouldn't stop me from buying again. If my interior "creak" continues though, that may stop me from buying again....gonna have it checked out at 5000 mile check (dealer has not seen my car yet but I am hopeful they will take care of it).
Old 03-22-08, 10:35 PM
racingt
Rookie

I have a 2008 ES350, build date of 8/07, purchased in late Sept. 07. It did have minor flaring issues up until the 2000 mile mark. Now, for reasons unknown to me, it hasn't flared since - I'm at the 3700 mile mark. I drive the same way, in fact the flare stopped in the middle of our winter. Interesting.

No wind noise here.

Quick Reply: More ES350 problems ........