ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Need help with how to replace eng. air filer

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-08, 08:43 AM
tyrey
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with how to replace eng. air filer

How do I access the engine air filter to replace myself, and which OTC filter is best suited for the ES 370 (2007)?
Thanks in advance
Old 03-16-08, 02:32 PM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

i havent gotten around to changing my engine air filter yet.. but i didnt know lexus made an ES370....
Old 03-16-08, 03:29 PM
VegasIS300
Pole Position

Wow, they make stroker kits for the ES350?

Sewell Lexus carries K&N air filters for the ES.
Old 03-16-08, 04:48 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tyrey
How do I access the engine air filter to replace myself, and which OTC filter is best suited for the ES 370 (2007)?
Thanks in advance
I always use OEM filters. Our cabin air filter is part # 87139-07010. If you buy from my Lexus dealer here in Raleigh the cost is $48. The same part number from the local Toyota dealer is $35. I've seen it online for as low as $28. Same part, same OEM Toyota box.

Disclaimer: My 2007 ES350 has a slightly different shroud design and different push-button connectors than the 2008 models do. The basics are the same, though.

First you have to take off the upper right plastic shroud. Us a phillips-head screwdriver or a pen or whatever to push the center button on the seven round connectors holding it to the engine compartment. The '08 model connectors can be pushed open with your finger. Remove and set aside.

Pop off the rectangular shroud piece by the right hood hydraulic arm and set aside.

Lift out the shroud and set aside. It slides out from under the front shroud.

You'll see the horizontal square air filter box just to the front & left of the brake fluid reservoir. It actually isn't square - it has one of the corners cut off, but you can't see the missing corner from above. The box has three leaf-spring clips that you press and lever open. The box is two pieces, with the lid hinged together on the angle side pointing towards the passenger seat. You'll have to lift up the lid and slide the filter out towards the driver-side headlight. It's a bit tricky as the various connections prevent the lid from opening very far.

Slide the new filter in. Again, the space is tight. I had to turn it after sliding it into the box. Press the filter then the lid down all around so there's a good, tight seal and clip it shut. The three clips should be quite tight. Make sure that the lid doesn't come off the box at the hinge in the back. Mine did and I had to spend a bit of effort to get it all properly reseated.

Put the shroud back on, tucking the front end under the front shroud.

Reset the seven round connectors. Make sure the button is pushed down, then gently open up the short prongs while pushing the long prongs back in. The button will pop up.

Replace all the connectors and press the button in to lock them in place.

Snap in the rectangular shroud cover by the hood arm.

Record the date and mileage in your maintenance log.

I don't know what the dealer would charge for this, but whatever it is is more than I charged myself.
Old 03-16-08, 08:24 PM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

how often should the air filter be changed?
Old 03-17-08, 02:06 PM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Just to clarify the above info:

The "cabin air filter" in the glove compartment is 87139-07010
This is for the HVAC system.

The "engine air filter" in the engine compartment is 17801-31120
for the 3.5 Liter 2GRFE engine.

Looks like the info got mixed up.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-09, 04:05 PM
TA-9ff
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dreyfus
I always use OEM filters. Our cabin air filter is part # 87139-07010. If you buy from my Lexus dealer here in Raleigh the cost is $48. The same part number from the local Toyota dealer is $35. I've seen it online for as low as $28. Same part, same OEM Toyota box.

Disclaimer: My 2007 ES350 has a slightly different shroud design and different push-button connectors than the 2008 models do. The basics are the same, though.

First you have to take off the upper right plastic shroud. Us a phillips-head screwdriver or a pen or whatever to push the center button on the seven round connectors holding it to the engine compartment. The '08 model connectors can be pushed open with your finger. Remove and set aside.

Pop off the rectangular shroud piece by the right hood hydraulic arm and set aside.

Lift out the shroud and set aside. It slides out from under the front shroud.

You'll see the horizontal square air filter box just to the front & left of the brake fluid reservoir. It actually isn't square - it has one of the corners cut off, but you can't see the missing corner from above. The box has three leaf-spring clips that you press and lever open. The box is two pieces, with the lid hinged together on the angle side pointing towards the passenger seat. You'll have to lift up the lid and slide the filter out towards the driver-side headlight. It's a bit tricky as the various connections prevent the lid from opening very far.

Slide the new filter in. Again, the space is tight. I had to turn it after sliding it into the box. Press the filter then the lid down all around so there's a good, tight seal and clip it shut. The three clips should be quite tight. Make sure that the lid doesn't come off the box at the hinge in the back. Mine did and I had to spend a bit of effort to get it all properly reseated.

Put the shroud back on, tucking the front end under the front shroud.

Reset the seven round connectors. Make sure the button is pushed down, then gently open up the short prongs while pushing the long prongs back in. The button will pop up.

Replace all the connectors and press the button in to lock them in place.

Snap in the rectangular shroud cover by the hood arm.

Record the date and mileage in your maintenance log.

I don't know what the dealer would charge for this, but whatever it is is more than I charged myself.

Excellent write-up!

I followed your instructions, and I completed this in 5 minutes.

I can't even begin to imagine why on Earth the dealer would charge so much for something so simple.

Both the cabin and engine air filters (OEM) was bought online for $38.00, including shipping and tax, lol.

The dealer wanted to charge me..................$190+tax!
Old 09-11-10, 08:52 AM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did this today.. got my OEM filter from ebay . looks decent and rigid.

one thing u have to be careful. when u pop the screws. be ULTRA careful. if they slip. they will go in the area. behind the radiator. etc and its a PAIN to remove them.. do it 1 at a time.. with both hands...

see the OLD FILTER. how it had bloated up... the new looks spanking clean..

I would say.. cabin and engine FILTER is the EASIEST DIY.
Attached Thumbnails Need help with how to replace eng. air filer-photo_091110_001.jpg   Need help with how to replace eng. air filer-photo_091110_002.jpg   Need help with how to replace eng. air filer-photo_091110_003.jpg  
Old 09-14-10, 12:37 PM
JC07ES350
Rookie

Does the car rides better with the new filter? Have anyone tried the k&n one?
Old 09-14-10, 01:19 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a K&N air filter in my '07 Impala SS. Difference in power - probably in my mind. Difference in gas mileage - 1/2 mile per gallon highway if that. Used to use them in the eighties in various cars. Thought they made a difference back then. Decided to retry it again this Spring.
Old 09-15-10, 12:01 PM
safford197
Driver

I have the K&N, the only advantage I can tell is the reduced frequency of maintenance...