ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Chrome Plating in Dallas

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 07:42 AM
n2cars
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Plating in Dallas

I would like to have my OEM 7 spoke wheels chrome plated. I would like to avoid the shipping process involved with using EBAY vendors.
I have used the Search function on the forum and found plating vendors on the east coast, west coast and Chicago, but nothing in Dallas, TX.
Does anyone have any experience with a chrome plating shop in Dallas that they could recommend for plating OEM 07 ES OEM wheels?

Thanks.
Old 03-12-08, 11:41 PM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

you can probably chrome plate anything..... its just a matter of cost... and is it worth it... if chroming the rims cost a big wad of cash... you might as well grab yourself some rims
Old 03-13-08, 02:51 PM
BillP
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard some good things about Show'N'Go Chrome 972-343-8871, from some Mustang people I know from the Dallas area, but that was a few years ago. The other thing you can do is hunt down a few restoration shops and see who they use. Also what level of chrome quality do you want? Show quality is going to cost you. It wouldn't surprise me to see $300 or more per rim for very good quality. You may be able to find OEM style rims already chromed on Ebay for less.
Old 03-13-08, 03:49 PM
n2cars
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the reply. I'm looking for OEM quality plating. I can get them on EBAY for ~$500 + my wheels (Send my wheels + $500 + $200 for shipping). Buying them outright runs about $1000 + $100 for shipping.

I'd like to avoid the shipping and find a local shop in Dallas. It's also nice to see the shop before I give them my business.
Old 10-14-10, 10:51 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lexus Chrome Wheels

Originally Posted by n2cars
thanks for the reply. I'm looking for OEM quality plating. I can get them on EBAY for ~$500 + my wheels (Send my wheels + $500 + $200 for shipping). Buying them outright runs about $1000 + $100 for shipping.

I'd like to avoid the shipping and find a local shop in Dallas. It's also nice to see the shop before I give them my business.
The EPA has run about ALL plating shops out of the Dallas Metroplex. I'm not sure if Show'N Go does their own or ships them off. Most plating is done in California it seems. You might try Scott at "Affordable Wheels" in Carrollton or Farmers Branch, he can get them for "about" $600 +/-. Good luck.
Old 10-14-10, 12:16 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought chrome plated OEM wheels for my '04 Lincoln LS back in 2005 from CA based operator. One wheel did delaminate the chrome in one year, the other three were just okay. Better to buy aftermarket chrome wheels from a reputable manufacturer and sell yours on e-bay to help finance the cost or keep them when you trade the car in.
Old 10-14-10, 01:51 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

You might scour over Craigslist and find a set that has been taken off a newer car. Might even find some at a wrecking yard. "Affordable Wheels" gets theirs out of California, and I bought a set a few years back and they were great. Scott, the owner, might be able to get a set locally.

The Dealerships would be good if they would come down a thousand $$$ or more.
Old 10-14-10, 05:18 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Chrome plating OEM wheels should be illegal. It looks hideous and nobody ever takes care of them!!! The last place you want chrome on a car is where it can and will come into contact with corrosive brake dust. Unless you have ceramic brake pads, clean your car on a regular basis, and know how to park without hitting the curb...... do not get chrome wheels!! please!!
Old 10-14-10, 05:46 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

just a fyi...the OP--n2cars asked the question in 2008.....probably already made decision or switched jobs, hobbies or something last 2 yrs ...just saying !!
Old 10-15-10, 06:53 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by miniz
Chrome plating OEM wheels should be illegal. It looks hideous and nobody ever takes care of them!!! The last place you want chrome on a car is where it can and will come into contact with corrosive brake dust. Unless you have ceramic brake pads, clean your car on a regular basis, and know how to park without hitting the curb...... do not get chrome wheels!! please!!
This is a "Personal Decision" each individual car owner should make. I have had chrome wheels on 2 of my 4 Lexus cars and NEVER had a problem. Reason being, I clean them. Granted, if you ruin a chrome wheel, you are going to be out some problems getting it replaced. It may take some time to get it out of California. However, telling someone to get, or not to get chrome wheels is like telling someone to not have doors on their car, they might get dinged. There are some great chrome cleaners and polishes out there that have a coating that prevents brake dust buildup and I have used it successfully. The dust does not stick to the wheels and can easily be "dusted off". Standard alloy wheels are surely much less hassle especially if you get run off the road, or inadvedantly scrape one against a curb. They can be repaired to like new for "about" $135.00. My current Lexus is a LS-430 and had factory chrome wheels and looks quite nice. I'll take my chances but it has made me a better driver.
Old 10-15-10, 07:10 AM
Wicked SC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RB Chroming and they're in Texas. They're a Vendor over on Supra forums and they do probably about 90% of chroming for all the Supras around the country.

rbchroming.com
Old 10-15-10, 07:26 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Wicked SC
RB Chroming and they're in Texas. They're a Vendor over on Supra forums and they do probably about 90% of chroming for all the Supras around the country.

rbchroming.com
Thanks for the information Wicked SC. I only live about 15-20 minutes from them. That gives me peace of mind that there is a chroming place in/near Dallas. For standard alloy wheels, I highly recommend Spec Wheels in Forney, just about 15 minutes further east on I-20. They do great repair work on alloy wheels and paint them back to factory original......about $135 and sometimes they have one on the shelf for exchange. Thank you.
Old 12-16-10, 02:34 PM
wagzsc400
Driver School Candidate

does anyone know of a chroming shop for wheels on the east coast?
Old 12-16-10, 03:04 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Rb chroming in dallas is supposed to be great ! If you go to ebay, there are other forms of chroming other than the standard "old style" chroming. You can read all about it, but they supposedly don't have quite the shine regular chroming has.

If you "dicker" with lexus, you can buy a oem set for about $1,750 as i was told their cost on them is $1,495. I don't know. Affordable wheels and hubcaps in carrollton quoted me $800 for four (4) wheels, and i've used him before and they lasted for years.

Good luck. I'd google rb chroming in dallas.
Old 12-16-10, 03:07 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Chroming

Originally Posted by wagzsc400
does anyone know of a chroming shop for wheels on the east coast?
http://rbchroming.com/Contact-Info.html

Quick Reply: Chrome Plating in Dallas