ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Considering ES350, need owners opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-08, 01:23 PM
GiantsInFL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Considering ES350, need owners opinions.

Hey guys I currently have a 04 Toyota Camry LE and was looking to upgrade my ride. I have been debating between the 08-09 Camry XLE V6, 08 ES350 and the 08 Acura TL. Now I am looking at buying these cars used, I am looking to buy one in the near future so Im starting to do my homework on all three models. I noticed not to many ES350 owners here seem to be too pleased with their car and I was wondering is the car that bad? I love Toyota/Lexus quality and I'm looking for a nice sized smooth riding car.

As far as looks go The Acura TL is sporty looking but I hear bad things about the quality of the leather and some rattles on the car. And the Camry is on the lower end of these other two however I own my second Camry and although it is not flashey, I still love it. I am basically looking for quite comfortable smooth riding car. So any insite you guys can provide on first hand use of the ES350 would be very helpful. I am a family man with 2 kids and like some space in my car but I would like to drive in some style and some comfort.Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 08-01-08, 02:27 PM
Tarkio
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure where you get the idea that not too many people like their ES 350. Like any other other "branded" forum on the Internet, people mostly come here looking for help with any problems they might have. people who have no problems are just enjoying their cars quietly (literally), never posting here.

I researched cars for a long time and selected the ES (I had and loved a Camry too). Best decision I ever made, I absolutely love this car. For my needs it's nearly perfect in all regards. Quiet, smooth, luxurious (I have the UL package), great gas mileage, and no mechanical problems of any kind.

Trying to judge a car based on forums like this is like going to a Lexus repair shop and complaining that 100% of the cars there were broken.

Did I say I love this car?! Even now I'm looking forward to climbing in my black beauty, sinking in to the soft leather, and listening to Latin jazz on my ML audio system in almost complete quiet while I head home on the Mass Turnpike.
Old 08-01-08, 03:05 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Yeah, when you go on any message boards, you're gonna see people complaining about some problem or another. If you don't have a problem, there's no real reason to post on a message board.

I love my car.
Old 08-01-08, 04:09 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned both the ES350 and an 04 TL. The TL's ride is not smooth, but sporty. If you want smooth, go for the ES350. Spend the extra $$ and get the UL package. Nicer leather, better sound system, and other toys make it worth it to me. I loved my TL, but even with the issues I do love the Lexus better. The smooth ride has grown on me.

As to issues, you will most likely be fine on an 08. The members who wrote above me on this thread own 08s. I own an 07 that was an early build back in 06 and there were issues on those early builds. It ain't just me and it ain't just forums. It is a fact that there were widespread issues with rattles, tranny issues, and engine knock. If you want to get the facts, call Lexus customer service yourself and have them tell you the truth. They have been honest with me. Lexus seems to have gotten most of the troubles behind them.

I am not going to go into detail about the issues, it would be beating a dead horse. PM me if you want more details. BUT, you should do just fine on an 08 as long as you test drive it and make sure the tranny does not flare.

And if it makes you feel better. I would buy another ES350..probably an 09 or 10 model.

Good luck!
Old 08-01-08, 07:21 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

I wouldn't recommend the '08 TL. The '09 is right around the corner, and the current one looks really dated. It looked great in 2004, but getting old now in 2008. If the next generation were out, this comparison would be a toss-up.

As for Camry 3.5 vs. the ES350, that is up to your own personal needs and preferences. They're dimensionally identical, but the ES has a more handsome body and a much more attractive interior. The ES is also quieter and has a better-tuned suspension.

Whether this and the dealer service make the ES worth the premium over the Camry is up to the individual buyer.

One thing I wish the ES had was the reclining rear seats of the Camry XLE.
Old 08-01-08, 08:33 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GiantsInFL
As far as looks go The Acura TL is sporty looking but I hear bad things about the quality of the leather and some rattles on the car. And the Camry is on the lower end of these other two however I own my second Camry and although it is not flashey, I still love it. I am basically looking for quite comfortable smooth riding car. So any insite you guys can provide on first hand use of the ES350 would be very helpful. I am a family man with 2 kids and like some space in my car but I would like to drive in some style and some comfort.Thanks in advance for any help.
Check the 2009 TL mini review in the Sept 08 Car and Driver now on magazine racks. Hope this helps.
Old 08-01-08, 11:46 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

My '07 is my 3rd ES, and I enjoy driving it every day!
Old 08-02-08, 05:48 AM
Macklin
Advanced

My ES was one of the first to arrive at my dealership. It did come with the dreaded tranny flare, but minor compared to most. I left it alone given the fix was largely unsuccessful by most accounts. Glad I did because it has largely faded away.

No other issues so far...knock, knock, knock. Love the car. If you want a smooth quiet ride, this is the car. And what other luxury car (or any car) with this much horsepower can boast 25/33 mpg? I even occassionally see 26 around town. Real numbers, not computer. Unbelievable.

My only regret is not getting the ML. I think the stereo in my ES300 was better.
Old 08-02-08, 06:19 AM
nlkccom
Driver School Candidate

A few months ago, I was also considering between the Camry XLE V6 and ES350, and ended up with the ES350. I just love the styling of the ES350, both interior and exterior. The interior gives me the feel of luxury, and the exterior is very sleek. The ride is incredibly smooth. A friend of mine who rode in a Camry the very same day she rode my ES350, she kept commenting how much smoother ride the ES350 is. The Camry is a good and reliable car, but very ordinary. The interior is much more mellow and plain, leaves much to be desired. Oh, never liked any of the Acura, only back in the days when they had the Intergra.
Old 08-02-08, 07:51 AM
ESDragon
Driver

Hey guys, just popped in to say hi. I used to own a 07 ES350 before moving to an 08 Acura TLS. Unfortunately, I am unlucky to have the one with tranny flares. This is the only complaint I have with the car. Everything was close to perfect with the car. Great gas mileage, very smooth, quiet, luxurious. Every passenger I had was very please with the car. It is too bad that Lexus couldn't fix the issue and categorize it as a normal charactistic of the car. Just want to let you guys know that if you want a quiet vehicle, the acura TL typeS is not the vehicle for you. The car have a very stiff ride and it ain't quiet. I guess the 08 TL base model will better suit your needs. And the 09 TL that is coming is probably the most disgusting vehicle that Acura ever invented. Best way is to test the cars you want and let me tell you test drive MULTIPLE times. Don't mistake I did.
Old 08-02-08, 11:51 AM
Lexus 1
Driver

Default One fantastic automobile!

Had my 08 ES 350 for 9 months. Love it! Love it! Love it! Not a single defect or issue has arisen. Look forward to each drive. This car coddles and pampers it's driver and passengers like no other vehicle I've owned. Luxurious, smooth, solid. The excitement from the day of delivery has not waned!
Old 08-02-08, 04:34 PM
codejd
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lots of research.

I too did great research prior to purchasing the '08 ES350. While I have had relatively few problems - just one persistent rattle at this point - I have to say how happy I am overall with the purchase of this vehicle.

Vehicles compared; Lincoln MKZ, Lexus IS250, Lexus ES350, Toyota Avalon Limited, Toyota Camry XLE, Acura TL, Chrysler 300C, Buick Lucerne and Cadillac CTS.

Since you are only interested in the TL and XLE, I'll tell you what I know from experience and features that I felt were important.

First off, the TL is very much a sporty ride indeed as stated previously. My brother has a 2005 TL that I used as a template for nearly a year and just decided with all the rattles, rough ride and overall small feeling, the car just wasn't for me. I will say the car is fast, has a much superior audio system - unless you get NAV with ML - and is fun to drive. It reminded me very much of the IS250, which I actually ordered before returning to the dearership and taking an ES350 home for the weekend. It was then I decided the smoother ride, larger cabin and overall luxury was for me. Like I said though, I sure wish I would have taken the NAV as the IS came with a nice stock system boasting something like 13 speakers, while the ES has 8.

Additionally the TL did not have the following interior features; automatic headlamps until recently, no compass, 2 "one-touch" windows as opposed to all 4 on the Lexus, does not have the keyless entry/ignition system which is so nice! No rain-sensing wiper option, no steering wheel in memory system nor an option for passenger memory, the power seats are 8-way drivers and 4-way passenger with manual lumbar on the passenger side while the Lexus has 10-way drivers and passenger with power lumbar on both seats and extender available on drivers side. The seats on the TL are heated but not ventilated but the rear seats do fold-down as opposed to just pass-thru on the Lexus. There is no rear sunshade uption on the TL, the tilt and telescopiing wheel are not power on the TL, and you know about the engine. Although my brother has a much heavier foot than I do, I maintain about 26MPG and he gets barely 20MPG.

The XLE to me was about the same car as the ES but just really stripped down on the interior. Sure it's about 10K cheaper than the ES but you'll notice those differences on the ride, luxury and options. The Avalon Limited comes a little closer to touching the ES, but is so unattractive in my opinion.

Good luck in whatever you choose!
Old 08-02-08, 05:54 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Also the ES350 does not have built in standard satellite radio, no remote start system. But it has the memory sterring column, lockable doors from the outside, panoramic sunroof (Ultra edition), killer Mark Levinson sound system, push button start, start the car with keys in pocket. It does have softer paint but looks super.
Old 08-02-08, 07:24 PM
mmrfr
Rookie

I have a 2007 ES, its my first and last Lexus. Tranny problems, rattles, paint chips like crazy, pulls to the right and Lexus clims all of these problems are normal traits of this car. Bull feathers, for a 45k list ride this is just not acceptable. If its such a great car, why are some many 2007 and even 2008 available at pretty darn low prices at car lots across the country. Be careful with this jewel. Have you considered the Lincoln MKX. My wife loves here and after 20K miles 0 problems< smooth ride, better handling, equal power and almost as good mpg and not a single paint chip and its black!!!!
Old 08-02-08, 10:25 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

My 2008 ES350 UL now has about 13,000 miles without a single problem. I can't think of another car in this price range that matches it in room, ride, performance, and economy. I drove a Lincoln MKZ (the MKX is an SUV) and although it is about the same size, the interior is cheap, road noise was quite high, and the performance is not near the ES. It is a lot cheaper to buy, but resale is terrible. If you are more interested in performance and sporty handling, the Infiniti G35 is great. It is a little smaller inside and not nearly as quiet, but has exceptional performance.
Steve

Quick Reply: Considering ES350, need owners opinions.