ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Clear Bra - full or partial hood protection for ES350

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-08, 04:46 PM
gandro
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clear Bra - full or partial hood protection for ES350

Most shops for clear bra protection are offering an option of full over partial hood protection for about $300 extra. I have read that full hood protection looks better on darker colors (not sure which color I am getting yet).
But my main question to ES350 owners, have you notice any paint chips above the first 24" up the hood?
Old 02-03-08, 05:12 PM
Druha
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes. i have the "front" clear guard, not full hood and i got a big chip while driving on the highway...hmmm lets say 1/3 up the hood? and when i mean chip...i mean oh look shiny metal! i just touched it up with the pen and its hard to notice...not show car unoticeable but good enough. I would go for full hood if its not much more. I dunno about long term with these things.

I also have a problem with another chip at the front between the grill and headlight...where the actual plastic protection has been "chipped" for the lack of a better word...and dirt has collected under it, think dirty fingernail or a fingernail that has been partially ripped off. I f i had a white car it would be very noticeable. and I'm not sure how to fix it

actually i read u said 24" above the hood.. i dont think you will need any higher than that. mine stops halfway up the headlights.

Last edited by Druha; 02-03-08 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-03-08, 05:16 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

I dont know that my dealer is offering full hood coverage with that due to our machine, but I have seen customer's cars come through with rock chips above the coverage area.

I would say if they offer it, go for it.
Old 02-03-08, 05:26 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, if they offered full hood when I bought mine, I probably would have gotten it. However, I have silver and don't see any chips above the line. So far-so good.
Old 02-23-08, 01:29 PM
SRM
Driver School Candidate

Default ES 350 Paint Chipping on Front Bumper (Black Paint)

I purchased black a 2007 ES350 in June of last year. Within 2 months (10,000 miles - I drive an average of 40,000 miles per yr) the paint started peeling off the bumper for no reason. The dealership called it "laminate failure" and replaced the entire bumper with new paint.

Four months (26,000 miles) later I returned to the dealership because you could tell that the bumper had actually been painted. The body shop repainted it. They had my car a week and acutally painted it twice because the dealership was not happy with the first time it turned out.

Not even one month later (4,000 miles) the bumper looks like a shotgun blast - lots of small chips all over the entire bumper. The dealership told me to take it directly to the paint shop to get their opinion. What I got from the paint shop was they can repaint it, but it will do it again. That is not really the answer I wanted to hear!

I have had four Nissan Maximas in a row - light and dark colors - not black. Have driven them the same amount of miles per year (approx. 40,000). Not one of the bumpers on these Maximas after 3 years (over 100,000 miles) looked like this car does only after 8 months.

I am very disappointed and don't want to spend more $$ to put the clear bra on it. I have never had to do this in the past and never planned on it, especially with a Lexus!

Has anyone had this issue with the black color? I know they don't clear coat the black (found out after the fact) but come on!!

Pretty Pissed Off!
Old 02-24-08, 12:54 AM
ng123ray
Lead Lap

no clear coat? all cars esp new cars have clear coat......
Old 02-24-08, 09:44 AM
Druha
Pole Position

I am very disappointed and don't want to spend more $$ to put the clear bra on it. I have never had to do this in the past and never planned on it, especially with a Lexus!
i feel bad for your situation. and it makes me think of how I cringe when I pass a salt truck on the highway in the winter...I also understand why you dont want to spend the extra money on a clear bra...but if you can see a real value in the clear bra providing a solution to your problems...wouldn't it make sense to bite the bullet and buy it?

I'm not saying i'm all that happy with the "quality" of paint "strength" or whatever either, but usually with cars, the more expensive they get, the more you have to indirectly spend on them. (reliability aside)

I do hope all that repainting of the bumper was included in the warranty
Old 02-25-08, 04:14 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SRM, sorry to hear that man. If you do end up getting a clear bra, try not to have the dealership do the work since the dealer will merely outsource it and mark it up.

Check out this directory for a clear bra installer near you.

http://www.clearbrafilms.com/oklahoma

Good Luck!

c
Old 02-25-08, 09:54 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cliffud
SRM, sorry to hear that man. If you do end up getting a clear bra, try not to have the dealership do the work since the dealer will merely outsource it and mark it up.

Check out this directory for a clear bra installer near you.

http://www.clearbrafilms.com/oklahoma

Good Luck!

c
I fully agree!
Old 02-26-08, 02:03 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SRM
I purchased black a 2007 ES350 in June of last year. Within 2 months (10,000 miles - I drive an average of 40,000 miles per yr) the paint started peeling off the bumper for no reason. The dealership called it "laminate failure" and replaced the entire bumper with new paint.

Four months (26,000 miles) later I returned to the dealership because you could tell that the bumper had actually been painted. The body shop repainted it. They had my car a week and acutally painted it twice because the dealership was not happy with the first time it turned out.

Not even one month later (4,000 miles) the bumper looks like a shotgun blast - lots of small chips all over the entire bumper. The dealership told me to take it directly to the paint shop to get their opinion. What I got from the paint shop was they can repaint it, but it will do it again. That is not really the answer I wanted to hear!

I have had four Nissan Maximas in a row - light and dark colors - not black. Have driven them the same amount of miles per year (approx. 40,000). Not one of the bumpers on these Maximas after 3 years (over 100,000 miles) looked like this car does only after 8 months.

Has anyone had this issue with the black color? I know they don't clear coat the black (found out after the fact) but come on!!

Pretty Pissed Off!
I thought Lexus and Toyota had already painted body panels, they should of just ordered you a new black bumper
Old 02-28-08, 06:21 AM
pestleman0
Driver

Originally Posted by SRM

Pretty Pissed Off!

Highly unacceptable! Have Lexus replace the bumper. Should be under warranty. If they state normal wear don't accept it. Complain high up and you will get it done. Just unacceptable.