ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Adaptive Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 11:25 AM
AZ_Flash
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Cruise Control

I have a 2008 ES350. I'm thinking about getting Adaptive Cruise Control for it. Does anyone have any experience with the ES350 Adaptive Cruise Control? I believe I read somewhere that it's a dealer installed option. Does anyone have an opinion - Good/Bad/Indifferent? Cost? Reliability? I'd appreciate any feedback or insight. Thanks.
Old 01-24-08, 02:09 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to tell you, the 'Adaptive Cruise Control' is only a factory option, which can NOT be installed by Lexus dealers.
Old 01-24-08, 02:29 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by amf1932
Sorry to tell you, the 'Adaptive Cruise Control' is only a factory option, which can NOT be installed by Lexus dealers.
Thats exactly what I was thinking, but I wasn't 100% sure.

As far as its function, its great. I wish I had it on my car.
Old 01-24-08, 03:39 PM
AZ_Flash
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.
Old 01-24-08, 09:29 PM
Q_Lexie
Driver

It might be possible to do it. My car is a base model, and after months of complaining to my parents, they had decided to get me the nav option on my car. So we went to the dealer a couple of weeks ago, and we were shocked by the cost: $10000!

Contact your dealer just in case.
Old 01-25-08, 03:43 AM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Q_Lexie
It might be possible to do it. My car is a base model, and after months of complaining to my parents, they had decided to get me the nav option on my car. So we went to the dealer a couple of weeks ago, and we were shocked by the cost: $10000!

Did that include labor? The sad thing is, I could see that being accurate. Are you going to do it?
Old 01-25-08, 12:15 PM
autiger71
Driver School Candidate

Your parents bought you a Lexus and you complained?
Old 01-25-08, 12:21 PM
FrayKay
Driver

Its so expensive because you actually have to have a new wiring harness installed, new computers, plus the cost of the NAV screen itself, which is a few grand all on its own. I wish it were an easy dealer installed option. I just went ahead and got a Tom Tom instead. WAY cheaper, but its a lot slower than the Navigation systems installed on Lexus cars.
Old 01-25-08, 02:51 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

My Garmin Nuvi GPS also announces the street & highway names plus the turns, whereas the Nav in my Lexus only announces the turns.
Old 01-25-08, 06:45 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gotta meet your parents!! Instead of paying the $10K to add Nav, trade the car in for an LS 460. You are already on a roll!!

Geez, how could they have bought you the ES without NAV.....what were they thinking??
Old 01-25-08, 07:40 PM
Q_Lexie
Driver

Originally Posted by onepointon
Did that include labor? The sad thing is, I could see that being accurate. Are you going to do it?

I think that included about everything. Shipping + labor + installing parts + disposing of the parts + etc. And I'm not going to do it. If it had been maximum of $5k, then my car would in the factory right now. $10k for just a nav system is madness. I might be spoiled, but I'm not dumb .
Old 01-25-08, 07:58 PM
Q_Lexie
Driver

Originally Posted by autiger71
Your parents bought you a Lexus and you complained?
I know I'm greedy. But having a cool gadget like nav system is the most important factor to people around my age. It's kinda stupid obsession but I couldn't help it.
Old 01-25-08, 08:02 PM
Q_Lexie
Driver

Originally Posted by FrayKay
Its so expensive because you actually have to have a new wiring harness installed, new computers, plus the cost of the NAV screen itself, which is a few grand all on its own. I wish it were an easy dealer installed option. I just went ahead and got a Tom Tom instead. WAY cheaper, but its a lot slower than the Navigation systems installed on Lexus cars.

I'm thinking of getting a portable GPS, and everyone recommended me Tom Tom. Other than slow updates, are there any major problems?
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

I know I'm greedy. But having a cool gadget like nav system is the most important factor to people around my age. It's kinda stupid obsession but I couldn't help it.
Then do what I did and get a portable one.
Q_Lexie
Driver

Originally Posted by amf1932
My Garmin Nuvi GPS also announces the street & highway names plus the turns, whereas the Nav in my Lexus only announces the turns.
I'll check that out soon. Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Adaptive Cruise Control