ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Another Transmission goes to Heaven

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-08, 08:36 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Yeah.. they use that stupid Galves book.
It is really half assed as it doesn't show any "option values"
The only one they show I think is Nav.

The salesman kept asking me "what I wanted for the trade", but I would not answer him knowing they would work down from that price. I simply said "the retail value of the car on a dealer lot was around 32k". They come back with 26k... gee wonder what they would have said if I answered the question !

My car which stickered for about 38500 and was purchased for about 35800 back in 7/06 (now about 1.5 yrs old has 19600 miles) on it with the following options: (prices if I remember accurately when purchased)

Wood Steering wheel $330
Bluetooth $315
Heated/Ventilated Seats $640
Full Size Spare $225
HID lights with AFS $815
Parking Assist $500
Rear Side Airbags $250

Basically, the way that dumbass book calculates , all of the above options are worthless!

For a 26k offer on the car, I'd give it a Viking funeral first (pardon the historical reference).

Right out of the gate the HYUNDAI dealer offered 27k to 28k.
When I used the above argument on him, he upped the offer to 29k
for a trade.

After talking to all the car dealers yesterday (for about 5-6 hours), I felt like I had worked a whole week. Sheesh !
That's one thing I'll say..... buying the Lexus was much less unpleasant.
Of course if I knew I was gonna have the tranny issue, who knows what I would have bought.

Last edited by NJLEXES; 01-06-08 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-06-08, 09:08 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
Yeah.. they use that stupid Galves book.
It is really half assed as it doesn't show any "option values"
The only one they show I think is Nav.

The salesman kept asking me "what I wanted for the trade", but I would not answer him knowing they would work down from that price. I simply said "the retail value of the car on a dealer lot was around 32k". They come back with 26k... gee wonder what they would have said if I answered the question !

My car which stickered for about 38500 and was purchased for about 35800 back in 7/06 (now about 1.5 yrs old has 19600 miles) on it with the following options: (prices if I remember accurately when purchased)

Wood Steering wheel $330
Bluetooth $315
Heated/Ventilated Seats $640
Full Size Spare $225
HID lights with AFS $815
Parking Assist $500
Rear Side Airbags $250

Basically, the way that dumbass book calculates , all of the above options are worthless!

For a 26k offer on the car, I'd give it a Viking funeral first (pardon the historical reference).

Right out of the gate the HYUNDAI dealer offered 27k to 28k.
When I used the above argument on him, he upped the offer to 29k
for a trade.

After talking to all the car dealers yesterday (for about 5-6 hours), I felt like I had worked a whole week. Sheesh !
That's one thing I'll say..... buying the Lexus was much less unpleasant.
Of course if I knew I was gonna have the tranny issue, who knows what I would have bought.
Personally, I would not rush into anything. Do your research, shop your trade, and try to limit your loss as much as possible. A year from now, your ES won't be worth much less.
Old 01-06-08, 10:35 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

By the way, the Washington Post wrote up the Infiniti EX35 Journey in today's paper. Gave it a good write up, and is in the same class as the vehicles you mentioned. Shares a platform with the G35.
Old 01-17-08, 09:10 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Yikes -

Are there any major hesitation issues to look out for with the ES350 - like with the 02-06 ES330's or is that issue taken care of?

I have been thinking about getting a pre-owned 04 or 05 ES330, but now after having test-driven a few cars, and reading the threads on this forum, I am beginning to think that I should spend more and get an 07 or 08 ES350. Have there been any universal issues?

An aside off-topic question - do previous owners of ES300 or 330s find the seat comfort of the 350 to be as good or better than the older models?

thanks
Old 01-17-08, 05:26 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

I owned an 04 Sienna with the 3.3L engine that hesitated. I would take the 3.5L with the tranny flare over the 3.3L that hesitated all day long.

The back seat of the ES350 is large. I have two child booster seats back there with plenty of room for my kids. I do love the room in this car.

Get the ES350 in my opinion
Old 01-21-08, 07:48 PM
kilowatt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bye bye Lexus

Have only posted here a few times, mostly on trans issues. Had the trans replaced a couple of months ago and all seems well.....but traded the es350 in today for a 2008 Infiniti G37 sport. Went in for the M35 but could not resist the G37. Just tired of dealing with Lexus.....

Good luck to everyone.
Old 01-22-08, 05:23 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

ooooh - how do you like the G37 so far?!
a much different car from the ES.....
Old 01-22-08, 10:29 AM
PINESOL
Driver School Candidate

tired of dealing with lexus.. lol .. good luck with your G37
i would like to hear how they take care of you when your warranty is wearing thin.. if your G37 makes it that far..
Old 01-22-08, 07:45 PM
kilowatt
Driver School Candidate

Bostonsnow:

yeah G37 is much different, went back to my sport car roots... sport pkg, premium, nav, hard drive, ipod interface, 4 wheel assisted steer.

PINESOL:

car is great so far, as for thin warranty, so far trans has not flared in 2 days unlike the 350, have not had 2 TSIB's and have not been told the trans is "learning"....oh yeah and the G37 has not left me stuck in the middle of a major intersection.

You have fun with yours, I intend to do the same
Old 01-23-08, 11:00 AM
PINESOL
Driver School Candidate

thats cool i will,, sorry your lexus didnt work out for you.. remember there are atleast twice as many 350s on the road...
Old 01-23-08, 03:00 PM
ES350ULTRA
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
Thanks for all your input.

Have to say the used car value between the ACURA dealer and the HYUNDAI dealer really cracked me up. Guess the Hyundai dealer wanted my business more.

Think I'll probably drive my ES350 for a little while longer and see how it holds up. However, if any more crap surfaces with the tranny , I will end up selling it pronto.
If I was you I would use the Lemon Law and get your money back. If you took your car in 3 times for the same issue then you should have no problem doing it. From what I understand you can file your compliant via the BBB.org for free and they will handle everything for you.

My car started having the flare issues after only 400 miles on my car. Took it to the dealership today and they said the "transmission was learnnig". I laughed at the guy and said "NO IT'S NOT". I know the difference between a car shifting harder or softer depending on driving style. I told the service guy that it better not "start learning again" when my wife is driving it in down town LA.

Here is what happened to me:
While leaving a stop sign the car felt like it went out of gear, then the engine reved up while I was in the middle of the intersection. I let me foot off the gas waited a few seconds the stepped on the gas and it worked again. Nobody else was in notthe intersection so it was a big deal.

I am not going to take the chance of this happening to my wife in down town Los Angeles and have her get t-boned by some fool trying to make a yellow light.

Everytime this happens I am taking my car into the dealership. They have 3 chances to get it working after that I am going to use the Lemon Law to get my money back.
Old 01-24-08, 04:44 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ES350ULTRA
If I was you I would use the Lemon Law and get your money back. If you took your car in 3 times for the same issue then you should have no problem doing it. From what I understand you can file your compliant via the BBB.org for free and they will handle everything for you.

My car started having the flare issues after only 400 miles on my car. Took it to the dealership today and they said the "transmission was learnnig". I laughed at the guy and said "NO IT'S NOT". I know the difference between a car shifting harder or softer depending on driving style. I told the service guy that it better not "start learning again" when my wife is driving it in down town LA.

While leaving a stop sign the car felt like it went out of gear, then the engine reved up while I was in the middle of the intersection. I let me foot off the gas waited a few seconds the stepped on the gas and it worked again. Nobody else was in notthe intersection so it was a big deal.

I am not going to take the chance of this happening to my wife in down town Los Angeles and have her get t-boned by some fool trying to make a yellow light.

Everytime this happens I am taking my car into the dealership. They have 3 chances to get it working after that I am going to use the Lemon Law to get my money back.

Your approach is the best because currently what would complicate any quick resolution for you as an 08 owner and the other 08 owners sharing their's slips is the lack of any transmission TSIB on the transmission related directly to the 08 model.

There should have be one in place at release of 08, why there is not is unknown, but it being absent means more work for you.

I wish you a speedy and limited hassle, if not hassle free, resolution.
Old 01-24-08, 09:54 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ES350ULTRA

Geez, on an 08. So, they gave you the "learning" line. What a slap in the face. Good Luck!