ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Another Transmission goes to Heaven

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-07, 04:43 PM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Just looked up the codes;;;;;;

P0746 Pressure Control selenoid "a" Performance (shift selenoid Valve SL1) Monitor description

P0796 Pressure Control selenoid "c" Performance (shift selenoid Valve SL3) Monitor description

P2714 Pressure Control selenoid "D" Performance (shift selenoid Valve SLT) Monitor description
Old 12-27-07, 05:50 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NJLEXES
Ok Gentlemen, got the ES back late this afternoon.....
First the details from the work order:

* Customer states (always cracks me up, so non-commital)
check engine and VSC lights are on

Result - Codes P0746,0796,2714 present in system
Trans is overreving. Internal Transmission failure

*Cust states transmission is over-revving and at low speeds slams into gear

Result - Internal Transmission failure

TC7006 U660e Shift Flare Concerns Recall TCM

1 30510-33530 Transaxle Assy,AUTO
4 00289-ATFWS World Standard Autom

TC7006A R & R Automatic Transmission

FC: 9a,99
Part # 89530-33041
Count: 1
Claim type: RG

Replaced Transmission as per TSB#TC005-07, REFL ASH TCM

The car was in pretty good physical condition when I got it back.... I went by my mechanic to put it up on the lift to check for any residual fluid... wanted it to be immaculate so if there is any type of leak, it could be spotted more easily. The car was fairly clean (about 85 to 90 %), but I sprayed around some degreaser to get it 100%.

Now the results.... the car had about 16 miles more on it when I got it back.

I drove it another 16-17 miles tonight and it "seems" to shift fine. Definitely smoother than before... did not really notice any flaring although the tranny was probably a little on the warm side. Will be interested to see its "cold" behavior. Didn't really get on it too hard as imagine it needs to physically break in a little bit, but the mild downshifts seemed pretty smooth.
I'll give you all an update as I rack up some more miles in the coming days.

Thanks for all your support, well wishes, and comments.
Thanks for the info. Good to know. Do you know if this is a new tranny or a factory rebuild?

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Old 12-27-07, 10:09 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Be careful about saying anything good about your ES on this board, you will be labeled a 'cheerleader' - glad to hear that your 1 in 10 chance appears to be working out, Good Luck!
Old 12-28-07, 04:13 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Dave
Be careful about saying anything good about your ES on this board, you will be labeled a 'cheerleader' - glad to hear that your 1 in 10 chance appears to be working out, Good Luck!
I don't think he'd share the same concern with a thread titled another transmission goes to heaven while he had been waiting for a viable fix.

In my observations only cheerleaders are jealous of or potshot others viewing the others as having better hair or makeup or perkier pompoms
Old 12-28-07, 06:14 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

MD350,

I most definitely did ask him about the new or rebuild question.

He said it was a "new" housing, but the transmission is a "factory rebuild".
Old 12-28-07, 10:34 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
I don't think he'd share the same concern with a thread titled another transmission goes to heaven while he had been waiting for a viable fix.

In my observations only cheerleaders are jealous of or potshot others viewing the others as having better hair or makeup or perkier pompoms
Lets go Lexus, Rah Rah Rah!!!

GoooOOOOO LEXUS!!
Old 12-28-07, 10:39 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

I Personally prefer perky prominent pom-poms
Old 12-29-07, 07:29 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

^Dave: let me know your b-day, I will buy and send you a pair as a present
Old 12-30-07, 05:41 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Red face

Another trans update:

Got roughly 100 miles on the trans now and 2 "incidents" appeared:

1) First, had about a 10-15 second incident where the transmission was holding the gears a little on the longer side with extremely light throttle. I would have to say it was around 3rd gear or so. It seemingly didn't want to upshift. The trans might not have been totally hot, but it had been driven a few miles before this started. If it were "bone cold", I might have expected this.
I drove the car for several miles more and this issue did not resurface.

2) Strangely enough, when making a slower rolling right turn onto a sidestreet, when I'd press the accelerator even lightly the transmission would downshift on the rough side. The transmission was warm for sure. This did not happen from a dead stop.
I was able to duplicate this several times.

Other than above, the transmission seems to be working ok.

I'm not going to brink it to the dealer just yet only because of the possible dreaded "we can't duplicate it" response. Also, as I've only had the car back since Thurs 12/27 evening, they might also say it's still "learning".

I'm not feeling too good about this although don't know what they could do for the car anyway short of putting in another tranny. It's already got the latest reflash.

Promise to come visit me in the looney bin because that's where this is gonna put me !
Old 12-30-07, 05:55 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Another trans update:

1) First, had about a 10-15 second incident where the transmission was holding the gears a little on the longer side with extremely light throttle. I would have to say it was around 3rd gear or so. It seemingly didn't want to upshift. The trans might not have been totally hot, but it had been driven a few miles before this started. If it were "bone cold", I might have expected this.

2) Strangely enough, when making a slower rolling right turn onto a sidestreet, when I'd press the accelerator even lightly the transmission would downshift on the rough side. The transmission was warm for sure. This did not happen from a dead stop.

I'm not going to brink it to the dealer just yet only because of the possible dreaded "we can't duplicate it" response. Also, as I've only had the car back since Thurs 12/27 evening, they might also say it's still "learning".

I'm not feeling too good about this although don't know what they could do for the car anyway short of putting in another tranny. It's already got the latest reflash.

Promise to come visit me in the looney bin because that's where this is gonna put me !
Sheesh, at least mine held out for 130 miles on the OD before it started it's incantations

I'll visit you, but I think you were on to something with that horse comment in start of this thread.

You'd be going green, but I'd wait till you find one that is housebroken or litter box trained if possible because otherwise there would be one heck of a mess on the garage floor.
Old 12-30-07, 06:49 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

ES350Bob,

Please be so kind to refresh my memory as to what happened in your case. Did you have your tranny replaced too ?
Old 12-30-07, 08:30 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

ES350Bob,

Please be so kind to refresh my memory as to what happened in your case. Did you have your tranny replaced too ?

No, was waiting for a fix and ended up trading instead when the.... top off the trans fluid.... attempts were going on. Felt then it was hopeless so traded, but both my cars had sneaky transmissions, behaved until about the 130 mile mark, more or less. I even cold start test drove my second one and no slipping, it waited to around 130 miles give or take. I think sooner or later they are all going to fail, my luck is not so bad as to get 2 built 3 months apart messed up, that and info on here indicating replacements don't hold up, no real solution.

Maybe you could push for a buyback.

I sincerely wish patience for you to deal with it and a good resolution.
Old 12-30-07, 09:16 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
I think sooner or later they are all going to fail.
And you keep us informed of this...almost every day.

WHEN are you going to give it a rest?
Old 12-30-07, 12:43 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Another trans update:

I was keeping my fingers crossed, but not surprised. You have a great case for buyback. Your first one actually failed and the new one is not right either. I would be on the phone with Lexus first thing tomorrow (or Wednesday if they are closed). You do have a good bit of miles on your car, so don't be surprised if you do end up paying a bit for the miles. But, if I was in your situation, I would pursue buyback or trade it as Bob did.

You can also discuss your situation with the sales or general manager at your dealership. If the customer service is as good as some say on this forum, they should offer you some kind of deal to get out of your car and put you in another Lexus like a GS (as Twister got). I would not wait, the transmission is not learning. Throw the keys back in their face.

Good luck, keep us in the loop!
Old 12-30-07, 01:36 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Macklin
And you keep us informed of this...almost every day.

WHEN are you going to give it a rest?
I answered his direct question, if you don't like the humor or other content don't read it.

Besides what would you gripe about if not about me.....

view me as black sheep of the family if you want but my not resting, others too, got results for everyone, for my effort the inclusion of gear shift 2 to 3 in one of the latest Transmission TSIB. Having you "snark" at me is a cakewalk by comparison to what I went through over that even though it did end up getting included.

You mentioned ruckus raising...check this out...and you'll think I'm the Mother Theresa of tolerance of an issue by comparison.
http://www.lexusoverride.com/

Quick Reply: Another Transmission goes to Heaven