ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

'08 ES350 - Potential Buyer, Sirius or XM?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-07, 09:59 AM
Yanman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '08 ES350 - Potential Buyer, Sirius or XM?

I am looking at buying a new '08 ES350 this week. I have learned a ton from this board. A couple quick questions:

1) Are there any costs from the dealer besides the monthly subscription?

2) Is this integrated into the stereo/navigation system........in other words is there any "add-on equipment?"

3) What are advantages/disadvantages of XM vs. Sirius?

Thanks as always for your input!!
Old 11-19-07, 10:24 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

I have two words for you re: your last issue..."XM vs. Sirius"

HOWARD STERN!!!!!!!

Sirius is the only way to go.

Anyway, XM and Sirius are looking to merge so it may not be too big an issue soon but seriously, there's not even any issue here.

HOWARD RULES!!!!!!!!
Old 11-19-07, 10:29 AM
AccElan01
Rookie

I have both and prefer the Sirius. There's more music options, better selection, the channels are arranged more logically, and the talk radio options are more entertaining. Now I only listen to XM for the NHL Center Ice Channel. Sirius broadcasts the NHL games but does not have a talk channel dedicated like XM. As the previous poster mentioned, they may merge soon. Sirius has better content overall.

If you are buying the car off the lot, chances are it does not have either option installed. If you have the dealership do it the cost will be about $500. After the installation, there are no fees other than the subscription. It is integrated into the navigation system.

Last edited by AccElan01; 11-19-07 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Added to response
Old 11-19-07, 01:02 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife has a Honda and I have owned several Honda/Acura products previously. So, I am an XM guy (XM is standard in higher scale Honda products). I have never had Sirius, but love XM. You can't go wrong with either, I would go with the one that meets your needs with its channel selection.
Old 11-19-07, 02:20 PM
Yanman
Driver School Candidate

Default What Kind of Equipment?

Originally Posted by AccElan01
I have both and prefer the Sirius. There's more music options, better selection, the channels are arranged more logically, and the talk radio options are more entertaining. Now I only listen to XM for the NHL Center Ice Channel. Sirius broadcasts the NHL games but does not have a talk channel dedicated like XM. As the previous poster mentioned, they may merge soon. Sirius has better content overall.

If you are buying the car off the lot, chances are it does not have either option installed. If you have the dealership do it the cost will be about $500. After the installation, there are no fees other than the subscription. It is integrated into the navigation system.
Thanks for the information. What kind of equipment do they put in the vehicle?
Old 11-19-07, 03:17 PM
Rickanns
Driver School Candidate

When I bought the new ES350 a month ago, I would have popped for the XM, BUT the dealer wanted to mount the antenna on the trunk lid ala the old CB days with the cable running through the seals etc. This was not acceptable on a Lexus for me. One poster here had the antenna mounted just inside the rear window next to the brake light, but the dealer did not offer this. so I passed on the XM.

I really wanted the XM, but could not get by the antenna.

Rick
Old 11-19-07, 04:21 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yanman
Thanks for the information. What kind of equipment do they put in the vehicle?
You will only see the antenna. The rest is behind the scenes, and both systems will be compatable with the standard radio that comes with the car.

My Lexus dealer did a clean job and I do have the small black box on my trunk lid (centered near 3rd brake light). It is not as bad looking as one might think. I don't mind it. But, to each his/her own.
Old 11-19-07, 05:21 PM
Yanman
Driver School Candidate

Default Follow-Up

Originally Posted by MD350
You will only see the antenna. The rest is behind the scenes, and both systems will be compatable with the standard radio that comes with the car.

My Lexus dealer did a clean job and I do have the small black box on my trunk lid (centered near 3rd brake light). It is not as bad looking as one might think. I don't mind it. But, to each his/her own.
Thanks MD! Does the antenna look like a little "Nub" that sits on the back-center of the roof...........that is capped the same color as your vehicle?
Old 11-19-07, 05:50 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yanman
Thanks MD! Does the antenna look like a little "Nub" that sits on the back-center of the roof...........that is capped the same color as your vehicle?
Here is a picture of my car. The cap is black. This was taken from the right side. See the 3rd brake light on the right?
Attached Thumbnails '08 ES350 - Potential Buyer, Sirius or XM?-100_1063.jpg  
Old 11-19-07, 07:50 PM
Yanman
Driver School Candidate

Here is a picture of my car. The cap is black. This was taken from the right side. See the 3rd brake light on the right?
Cool, thanks again! It looks clean, but I wish it was integrated. I wonder if any of the vehicles come "satellite" ready, so you just pick your subscription and you drive off the lot.
Old 11-19-07, 09:56 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

LS is XM ready.

MD 350, clean cars only in pix from now on, please!
Old 11-20-07, 05:25 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a few things to consider. Go to XM/Sirius websites and take a look at the channel line up. A lot of people make their decision based on a specific sport channels or talk shows or HOWARD!!! (Yes, he rules ). If that doesn't matter for you and you just want a ton of channels with music variety, news, weather/traffic, and general entertainment - you can't go wrong with either of these. Next, you will have to ask around to find out from XM/Sirius owners who has a better reception. Or better yet, go to your local Circuit City or Best Buy (they are unbiased since they sell and install both), and ask them which one works the best (reception) in your area. Geographic location is very important for the reception, and both of the services have satellites in different locations. This will help you decide which service.

Regarding the antenna placement, I had both outside and inside. Here in my Jersey location, I found no difference in reception between having it outside or in a rear shelf next to break light. So, it’s inside now. Also, I did a number of readings about external antennas, and found that keeping it outside does more damage to the cable and you will need the replacement sooner. If you install it with a rubber "boot" on the roof, it will last longer. While the setup on a trunk where you bend the cable and it exposed more to temperature changes and other weather elements - there is a higher chance it will go bad in a year or so.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-20-07, 05:45 AM
psp
Pole Position

I really like the Sirius lineup and I never listen to Howard Stearn. In the SF Bay area I tried the antenna on the inside and it has more problems with dropouts than on the outside -- I might be in a fringe area. Mine is on the trunk lid centered below the brake light.

You might also think about the VaisTech unit as it can integrate your iPod and Satellite and may not suffer from the 10 character limit. Has Mrs. Lexus fixed this on the latest models?
Old 11-20-07, 12:07 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 350Dave
LS is XM ready.

MD 350, clean cars only in pix from now on, please!
That was actually from my archive from another thread. I promise, no more dirty pictures!
Old 11-20-07, 10:42 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

That was actually from my archive from another thread. I promise, no more dirty pictures!
Thanks - if I am looking for dirty pictures, I know the other web sites to go to...