Parking Assist on ES350

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-07, 09:08 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Parking Assist on ES350

My Gripe-
I don't know why Lexus decided to use 2 sensors instead of 4 in the front bumper?? It definitely does not give you as good an indication on the display as the Lexus models that use 4 sensors when parallel parking or approaching a wall. This parking assist in the ES is like a cheap version compared to the GS or LS!!
Old 10-12-07, 10:22 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

yes, it is the cheap version, mainly to keep the cost low for an entry level car.

as for there only being two...i guess its mainly used for inching out of a parking spot so that when your slanted out towards the road, you can see if your going to make it. the front, you should be able to see since its right in front of you
Old 10-12-07, 10:35 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Yeah, the corner sensors are all you really need.
Old 10-12-07, 05:28 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Yeah, the corner sensors are all you really need.
I totally disagree! I drive a GS350 on occasion that has the 4 sensors in the front, and when parallel parking the indication on screen is much more accurate than in my ES350. This indication on the GS shows the center distance if the object is in the front, plus the side sensor indications.
Like another person said, "it is the cheap version, mainly to keep the cost low for an entry level car."
Old 10-12-07, 11:32 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by amf1932
I totally disagree! I drive a GS350 on occasion that has the 4 sensors in the front, and when parallel parking the indication on screen is much more accurate than in my ES350. This indication on the GS shows the center distance if the object is in the front, plus the side sensor indications.
Like another person said, "it is the cheap version, mainly to keep the cost low for an entry level car."
Yeah but you can't possibly tell me you don't know where the front of the car ends (or starts?) right?

I mean with both the Camry and the Prius (two cars with substantially different hood lengths), I have no problem getting within inches of the car in front to maximise the amount of space I have to work with in a parallel parking spot.
Old 10-13-07, 07:06 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Yeah but you can't possibly tell me you don't know where the front of the car ends (or starts?) right?
If I could then I would have absolutely no need for parking assist, right?

All I was saying is the accuracy of the parking assist on the ES is not as great as Lexus cars that use 4 sensors!
Old 10-13-07, 07:07 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You must be a young man with good depth perception. That's not the case when we get older. Believe me.....

~ Cap
Old 10-14-07, 12:42 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

If I could then I would have absolutely no need for parking assist, right?

All I was saying is the accuracy of the parking assist on the ES is not as great as Lexus cars that use 4 sensors!
ahh hehe

ohh ok. I was thinking strictly on the front two sensors but I see what you mean... it's the coverage.

Originally Posted by Capirato
You must be a young man with good depth perception. That's not the case when we get older. Believe me.....

~ Cap

yes and... well I dunno how good my depth perception is but sure
Old 10-15-07, 09:39 AM
unknown2
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the middle east, the Aurion (Camry V6) comes with the same parking sensors used in the ES350.. 2 in the front, 4 in the rear, similar display in the tacho...

I was looking for some other options used in other countries, i found out that the Aurion (Camry) has 4 front parking sensors from the factory.. I guess it was a China or Thiland market...

Maybe it's easy to retrofit an extra 2 sensors in the front.. Maybe the system is "capable" of the extra 2 sensors... But that is just my guess...
Old 10-15-07, 10:04 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Gripe-
I don't know why Lexus decided to use 2 sensors instead of 4 in the front bumper?? It definitely does not give you as good an indication on the display as the Lexus models that use 4 sensors when parallel parking or approaching a wall. This parking assist in the ES is like a cheap version compared to the GS or LS!!
I know how you feel.

It's the same with the 2IS.
Old 10-16-07, 12:18 PM
toneman
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would it have been nice if the ES came w/ 4 sensors up front instead of two--sure. Is it a big deal worth griping about--IMHO, no. Why? Because:

1) The parking sensors should not be relied on as a substitute for your own eyes/judgment--i.e., there's something to be said if you're going to primarily--if not solely--rely on the sensors to help prevent you from inadvertantly bumping into another object...which leads me to my second point:

2) How did/do you manage to get by when driving vehicles that didn't have any such parking assist aids?

If the degree of accuracy w/ 2 front sensors bothers folks that much, then maybe they should just ignore relying on the front sensors to begin with. After all, how many folks would even complain about "accuracy" when maneuvering a vehicle that didn't have any sort of electronic parking assist?
Old 10-16-07, 12:47 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by toneman
Would it have been nice if the ES came w/ 4 sensors up front instead of two--sure. Is it a big deal worth griping about--IMHO, no. Why? Because:

1) The parking sensors should not be relied on as a substitute for your own eyes/judgment--i.e., there's something to be said if you're going to primarily--if not solely--rely on the sensors to help prevent you from inadvertantly bumping into another object...which leads me to my second point:

2) How did/do you manage to get by when driving vehicles that didn't have any such parking assist aids?

If the degree of accuracy w/ 2 front sensors bothers folks that much, then maybe they should just ignore relying on the front sensors to begin with. After all, how many folks would even complain about "accuracy" when maneuvering a vehicle that didn't have any sort of electronic parking assist?
You always seem to answer my posts in a VERY negative fashion, so to to answer your response in the order you posted them is as follows:

1) There are plenty of times that I park my car in very tight spaces. Accuracy in these situations requires that a center sensor is necessary so I don't hit my bumper and take the chance of scratching the paint on my car. If a center sensor wasn't necessary, then why are they included on the GS350's? The answer is MORE ACCURACY!!!

2) This is a stupid response, mainly because I can give multiple reasons for having other advanced electronics installed in my car to make operating this motor vehicle easier, of which Parking Assist is one!! Example: Navigation, ABS, etc, etc. Get the picture?

Maybe I should go back to driving my 1930 Model A Ford. Than I wouldn't gripe about anything.
Old 10-16-07, 04:49 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Maybe I should go back to driving my 1930 Model A Ford. Than I wouldn't gripe about anything.
Are you sure? Maybe the steering's too stiff, the ride's uncomfortable and the brakes are hard to modulate But then again, you get great visibility in a proper sedan and simple engineering and plush seats
Old 10-16-07, 05:59 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Are you sure? Maybe the steering's too stiff, the ride's uncomfortable and the brakes are hard to modulate But then again, you get great visibility in a proper sedan and simple engineering and plush seats
You're right......but I had to sell it.....it didn't have "Parking Assist".

Old 10-16-07, 09:25 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

You're right......but I had to sell it.....it didn't have "Parking Assist".

In all seriousness though, did you have one?

Quick Reply: Parking Assist on ES350