ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Servicing my ES350 at a non-Lexus location

Old 09-28-07, 11:07 AM
SammyS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servicing my ES350 at a non-Lexus location

I'd like to get my ES350 serviced at some place other than a Lexus dealer as it is just too far to travel.

First, if I did so would it somehow potentially void my warranty? As long as I kept all receipts and such I should be ok.
Second, what equipment do I need to be sure the other service location has on hand in order to accomplish the usual servicing (10k, 25k, etc)?
Lastly, I haven't checked yet but I assume there is a list of things to be done at each service interval in the service manual.

Thanks!
SammyS
Old 09-28-07, 11:46 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

If it's just routine maintenance you should be able to get your ES serviced at any Toyota dealer.
Old 09-28-07, 12:54 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So long as you have records of your service it does not matter where your car is serviced. It's illegal to void a warranty based soley on where the work is done.
Old 09-28-07, 02:16 PM
jerfitz
Pole Position

9/28/2007

Here is an interesting comparison. This week I had both our 2007 ES-350 and our 2004 Acura MDX serviced at their respective dealers.

Lube/Oil change at Acura $39.95

Lube/Oil change at Lexus $70.98

For oil changes on our new Lexus I may shop around.
Old 09-28-07, 02:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jerfitz
9/28/2007

Here is an interesting comparison. This week I had both our 2007 ES-350 and our 2004 Acura MDX serviced at their respective dealers.

Lube/Oil change at Acura $39.95

Lube/Oil change at Lexus $70.98

For oil changes on our new Lexus I may shop around.
Yikes! I'd shop around too.
Old 09-28-07, 07:48 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I would shop around - I had the oil changed on my ES 350 this week at the Lexus Dealer. Cost $40.29.

Dave Mac
Old 10-07-07, 09:43 AM
Mlawler
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

couple comments:

1. Reference to the Acura dealer, if you used standard oil then I can understand the cost reduction, Lexus is only supposed to use Synthetic, once you use it then you should keep using it. Now I checked the local Acura dealer here and they are $69 for a Synthetic oil change.

2. I tried going to the local Toyota dealer of which a friend of mine is the GM, basically it is the same price for the synthetic change but they couldn't do it at the time unless I called ahead a few days, the oil filter on the ES 350 is different than the Camry, they will both fit but the service manger explained the Camry filter is longer and doesn't have the same filter flow as the Lexus filter due to the different depth, I think thats as opinion but it makes sense.

By the way Grease Monkey was the same as Lexus.

My theory is if I can afford to buy a Lexus or whatever car then I can afford to use their maintenance plan also, yeh my latest service was $224 but I did the same thing for my Honda Pilot recently. I do buy used cars one occasion but unless you can show me that you followed the recommended maintenance from the manufacturer you wont be selling it to me.

My 02
Old 10-07-07, 10:41 AM
jcg
Rookie

I must respectfully disagree with a few items.

If synthetics are only to be used in the ES350 then why is it not in the car when it is new??

If a synthetic is used you should not revert back to standard oil is not accurate. This is done all the time. They also sell blends of regular and synthetic oil.

It seems to me that the oil filter in the V6 Camry and the ES350 would be the same as they both use the exact same drivetrain.

If I can afford to buy a Lexus, yes, I can afford to have maintenance done there but I would rather do routine stuff myself as I then know it was done right. About 8 years age when I bought my first Lexus I took it in for the free 5000 mile oil change and a kid hopped in it and drove it across the street to a Toyota dealer (owned by the Lexus dealer) and did the oil change. Consequently, I don't have too much faith in vaunted Lexus service.

But, it's a great car and hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Good luck.
Old 10-07-07, 07:34 PM
Mlawler
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well OK I said "Should" stick with one type of Oil, not "had" to, I was told by that the standard oil in a Lexus is Synthetic. Maybe not, my bad..also when I had my first oil change for free the Lexus dealer used synthetic oil.

I dont much care if I get an oil change and the oil drains out on the parking lot, I am not going to pay to fix it. I have had this happen to me also.

I praise folks that do their own work, and we should all do it if we have the time and inclination.

I would love for someone to tell me different about the filters but my friend who is the GM of a Toyota dealer told me the same, he drives a GS by the way. I tried to get it done at a Toyota dealer and they told me they couldn't because on the new ES they didnt have the right filter. And it was a competing dealer with Lexus not a sister store.

Here is some info from Toyota, which corroborates your information and Mine.

"Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
We appreciate your inquiry regarding the us of synthetic oil in your 4Runner.

All Toyota vehicles come from the factory with natural petroleum-based engine oil. Toyota is currently recommending American Petroleum Institute (API) grade SJ petroleum-based engine oil. In moderate climates, this oil should have a Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) viscosity rating of 5W-30. In our high mileage tests with preventative maintenance performed at the recommended intervals, the recommended natural petroleum-based oil has provided excellent service.

If you decide to use synthetic oil for the engine, it would be best not to switch until the first scheduled oil change. Synthetic oil should meet or exceed the above specifications. Even if synthetic oil is used, we do not recommend a longer oil change interval. Also, once synthetic oil is used, you should keep using it and not switch back and forth with natural petroleum-based oil.

If the engine oil that you use, whether natural or synthetic, does not meet the above specifications or is defective, any resulting damage to the engine will not be covered by the Toyota New Vehicle Limited Warranty. You can protect yourself against this possibility by having your maintenance services performed by a factory-authorized Toyota dealer.

The Scheduled Maintenance Guide cites the minimum recommended services under what is assumed to be a standard, or typical set of driving conditions. In terms of maintaining the integrity of your warranty, our recommendation is adherence to the Scheduled Maintenance guide, which recommends service intervals of every 5000 miles, or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200412021090. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

National Customer Relations"

Last edited by Mlawler; 10-07-07 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-07-07, 08:10 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

About 8 years age when I bought my first Lexus I took it in for the free 5000 mile oil change and a kid hopped in it and drove it across the street to a Toyota dealer (owned by the Lexus dealer) and did the oil change. Consequently, I don't have too much faith in vaunted Lexus service.
Up here in Canada, there is a dealer I have been to a number of times that splits the the Toyota showroom and the Lexus showroom by a long wall of offices. Come to think of it, there are two dealers that I know of that do this..One is in Toronto the other is in St Catherines. In the Toronto dealership the waiting room is the same for both Toyota/Lexus.
Old 10-08-07, 04:43 AM
BillP
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mlawler

I would love for someone to tell me different about the filters but my friend who is the GM of a Toyota dealer told me the same, he drives a GS by the way. I tried to get it done at a Toyota dealer and they told me they couldn't because on the new ES they didnt have the right filter. And it was a competing dealer with Lexus not a sister store.
The filter for the 07 Camry is the same as the 07 ES. A friend of mine owns a repair shop that services Hondas, Nissans and Toyotas. Back when I got my ES they cross referenced the part number on the filter to ensure they were the same. If you dig a little more you'll find the filter is the same on the 07 Avalon also.
Old 10-08-07, 07:14 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by BillP
The filter for the 07 Camry is the same as the 07 ES. A friend of mine owns a repair shop that services Hondas, Nissans and Toyotas. Back when I got my ES they cross referenced the part number on the filter to ensure they were the same. If you dig a little more you'll find the filter is the same on the 07 Avalon also.
The RX, RAV4, Highlander and Sienna also use the same 3.5 V-6. I'm not sure, but they too could use the same filter.
Old 10-08-07, 02:17 PM
jcg
Rookie

Thanks for your reply. I'll have to check into the oil filter question.

Just for general info, yesterday I was reading Popular Mechanics magazine and they have a section where they answer car questions. Someone who had an ES asked why Lexus maintenance states to change the brake fluid every 30,000 miles when he also had the same year Camry and it's owners manual makes no mention of changing the brake fluid ever. Seems that they feel Lexus owners can afford the change but Camry owners can't.

Interesting question.
Old 10-09-07, 12:58 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

My Lexus dealer charges $150 for just an oil change, simply put I'd rather not pay that outrageous price, no idea how they came up with that but I go to the Local Toyota dealer which normally services more Lexus vehicles then Toyotas on certain days and receive the same service.

and the ES and Camry have the same oil capacity and filter but besides that, with 6.4 quarts of oil the oil is probably less then half used when you change it at 5k
Old 10-10-07, 10:44 AM
toneman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EDGE2
My Lexus dealer charges $150 for just an oil change, simply put I'd rather not pay that outrageous price, no idea how they came up with that...
At that price, they better be using synthetic oil; sorry if others disagree, but IMHO I think it outrageous for almost any dealership (i.e., your typical non-exotic or non-uber-luxury car make) to charge THAT much for an oil change and yet be using only dino oil...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Servicing my ES350 at a non-Lexus location