ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

►►►Alarm with Remote Start - ALL EXPERTS INVITED!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 08:47 AM
pamnyc2008
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gnm313,

Did you find an installer? What system are you going with? Viper? Please update ASAP.
Old 10-04-07, 08:48 AM
pamnyc2008
Driver School Candidate

and have had any adverse effects on the car in any way? did you also lose any features when you installed this module? please elaborate in technical detail. by the way, was the implementation on a push button vehicle??
Old 10-04-07, 08:49 AM
pamnyc2008
Driver School Candidate

Has any installed this on a push button vehicle?
Old 10-04-07, 08:50 AM
pamnyc2008
Driver School Candidate

Anybody else have any other input??
Old 10-04-07, 05:15 PM
gnm313
Driver

Originally Posted by pamnyc2008
gnm313,

Did you find an installer? What system are you going with? Viper? Please update ASAP.

Since I am not adding an alarm (no reason too since I still have to carry the regular fob to unlock the doors from that handle), I am going for distance instead of features for the remote start. All you need is one button. There is one that claims to be 5000 feet for $250 + install. I still expect to pay through nose for this more complex than normal install, but it will be worth it for the remote start that doesn't bypass the integrity of the factory security. Together with the SL2 bypass, I expect to pay $700+

You can go nuts with this stuff including 2-way, but you need to be close enough for any of it to work, so frankly, it's a waste of cash.

If I am going to do anything alarm wise, it will be to add a lojack. The lojack would be good peace of mind for this car.

I will let you all know. Expected to do this today, but running low on time right now. Be patient. I will get it done.
Old 10-05-07, 06:28 AM
pamnyc2008
Driver School Candidate

Ok, I'll wait to hear from you. I'm hearing that the aftermarket alarms are much more sophisticated than the built-in anti theft system of the car. Lojack might not be the best investment since the savings on the insurance is minimum and the cost upfront for the feature in premiums is high. If the SL2 bypass works, you may very well be able to add an alarm w/ remote starter such as the viper 5900 or viper 791. The 5900 gives 1 mile range.
Old 10-05-07, 05:27 PM
gnm313
Driver

Ok, I'll wait to hear from you. I'm hearing that the aftermarket alarms are much more sophisticated than the built-in anti theft system of the car. Lojack might not be the best investment since the savings on the insurance is minimum and the cost upfront for the feature in premiums is high. If the SL2 bypass works, you may very well be able to add an alarm w/ remote starter such as the viper 5900 or viper 791. The 5900 gives 1 mile range.

Adding the alarm will force me to use the viper fob to unlock the doors. Say I am crazy, but I like the Lexus feature of being able to open the car without a fob in hand.

If viper has a way of keeping the door handle feature intact, let me know.
Old 10-05-07, 09:18 PM
herc8000
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the clifford matrix 50.5x which is made by dei same company as viper. My alarm has the one mile range. U do not want to have a remote start with the factory remote because the range is very short. Like the other guy said if you are that close you might as well put the key in the ignition. Having the mile range is nice to know if your alarm is going off and to have the vehicle cooled off in summer or warmed up in winter. I have an 02 gs300 but if the shop is dei certified they can install the dei alarm professionally.
Old 10-15-07, 04:10 PM
pamnyc2008
Driver School Candidate

I agree but my main concern is that most of the feedback I'm getting, the alarm or the remote starter can not be installed on lexus push button vehicles at this point without damaging or comprimising the the factory system in some way (electrical, software etc.)

If anyone has installed this on a push button vehicle, please explain in detail how you did it and if there has been any reprecussions..
Old 10-15-07, 04:15 PM
pamnyc2008
Driver School Candidate

Well, the viper installer was saying that I wouldn't lose features on the original fob. So in other words, once disarming the viper, I could in theory use the fob to open the lexus car.

Did you find your installer and what did you go with??
Old 10-16-07, 06:16 PM
gnm313
Driver

Well, the viper installer was saying that I wouldn't lose features on the original fob. So in other words, once disarming the viper, I could in theory use the fob to open the lexus car.

Did you find your installer and what did you go with??
I am sure the viper installer is right, but you have to remember to disarm. My guess is that the alarm will go off if you touch the handle with the original fob in your pocket and forget to disarm because it will unlock the car causing a voltage drop. Trade offs if you want the alarm. Same if you try to open the trunk without disarming. Guess you will get used to it like anything else.

My wife just had some surgery and has to be off her feet completely for the next 3 months, so I have been running. This is high on my list as soon as I get some free time. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited by gnm313; 10-16-07 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-17-07, 05:57 PM
gnm313
Driver

Got some time this week to look into the remote start. I got a mailer from Tweeter last week and they were offering a remote start installed for $99 made by Compustar.
If you have been following this thread, Compustar is the US distributor for the SL2-Override which is the module that makes remote start work on the ES350 without giving up a fob.

I called them up. They said they just became Compustar dealers and have done a few installs on keyless ignitions, but they would have to pull the bluetooth chip out of one of my fobs. I pulled out my instruction sheet for the SL2-Override and they were flabergasted. The module is $50. I am getting a 3000 foot remote start for $150. Still waiting on the installation price, as they did not have the wiring schematics for the ES350. Either way, he is going to make this happen. The $99 version is about the size of a quarter so is unobtrusive for a second fob. The guy said it is ok if you can live with 700 feet.

Tweeter isn't the cheapest place in the world, but they are all over the place and they now have access to this module. My guess is if you go there, you will have to tell them to look up and research the SL2-Override. My guy punched it in to his computer inventory and it came right up. The module was there the next day.

I will fill you in when I have this working. They still couldn't talk me into getting an alarm. Sounds like the only downside of the remote start is that once the car is remote started, the factory alarm is off. Car is still locked, but no alarm.

Lojack time next.
Old 11-17-07, 07:43 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

This is very interesting.

Would love to see how this works out.
Old 11-28-07, 09:02 PM
gnm313
Driver

Quick update. Had my installation scheduled for tomorrow and the installer called to cancel. He won't do it without the wiring schematic for the ES. Without it, he would have to charge me by the hour to figure out the correct wire sequences. He said he will have the schematic within a week as the alarm companies can get them.

I am now scheduled for 12/13 since that is soonest that I can live without my car for a day. In the mean time, he has done two installs for other keyless ignition cars using the SL2 learning module and says it works slick. They should give me royalties.
Old 11-29-07, 01:02 AM
unknown2
Driver

Originally Posted by gnm313
Quick update. Had my installation scheduled for tomorrow and the installer called to cancel. He won't do it without the wiring schematic for the ES. Without it, he would have to charge me by the hour to figure out the correct wire sequences. He said he will have the schematic within a week as the alarm companies can get them.

I am now scheduled for 12/13 since that is soonest that I can live without my car for a day. In the mean time, he has done two installs for other keyless ignition cars using the SL2 learning module and says it works slick. They should give me royalties.
Cool.. Please keep us updated!!

Quick Reply: ►►►Alarm with Remote Start - ALL EXPERTS INVITED!