ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

►►►Alarm with Remote Start - ALL EXPERTS INVITED!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-07, 06:48 AM
gnm313
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pamnyc2008
gnm313,

What alarm is the one you have that's lexus certified and how come you're having difficulty finding some one to install it? I no longer mind adding a second remote but I just want to install it in a way that will not be detrimental to the original setup of the car, nor do I want to lose any features on the original fob while I'm at. I'm getting mixed responses from the dealer. Some are saying not to install any, while other dealers are saying they can add one with an extra fob.

It's not lexus certified, it is certified on the lexus. Two different things. It means the alarm company tested the module with the 07-08 ES. Everything should work as you described.

Here are the pertinent links. If you are technical, you will see that it will work on these cars. The bypass module learns you fob code and will start the car remotely. Anyone puts on the brake or puts it in gear once it is started, the engine will stop. It's going to need some relays, diodes and resistors too. Then you can put a compatible alarm on top of it. Choose the model. I am going for simple with extended range because of the remote start.

The attached pdf has the basic schematic for the key override. Not rocket science, but I personally don't want to pull my dash apart.

Here is a Nationally available alarm dealer that supports the SL2 override on their site. I believe they have the compatability matrix online too.

hxxp://www.compustar.com/main.htm (Look under Products / Accessories / Fortin Modules / KEYOVERRIDE-SL2)

Now my guess it that you could use any alarm/starter with this module, but I was looking for a company that both carried the module and had national locations.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SmartKeyAddendum.pdf (44.5 KB, 365 views)

Last edited by gnm313; 10-01-07 at 06:52 AM.
Old 10-01-07, 06:59 AM
WICKED 1
Pole Position

no body makes a alarm/start for just this car. they make units that have interfaces for that car.yes it can be done.yes its tedious. yes its expensive. find a compustar dealer with a good reputation, thats the unit you want.
Old 10-01-07, 07:20 AM
AccElan01
Rookie

Heated garage. Simple and works on all models - no complicated mods necessary.
Old 10-01-07, 07:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by amf1932
Maybe you would consider this type of anti-theft device.

So that was you outside, taking a picture of my car!
Old 10-01-07, 07:42 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget about it, you can't just keep one remote if you want to install a remote start.

Why do you need it anyway?

Lastly, why is this posted in 3GS???
Old 10-01-07, 09:35 AM
samathews
Driver School Candidate

gmn313 - do you know approx how much the Fortin KEY-OVERRIDE-SL2 costs? Thanks
Old 10-01-07, 04:53 PM
pamnyc2008
Driver School Candidate

I just spoke to several more dealers and now most are saying not to install any. According to them, there's no good alarm/starter combo out there yet that works perfectly with push start buttons vehicles. But if that's so, how come other dealers are offering to install them and back them up by their own warranty?? I found this bypass on the web and was wondering if this is what would be needed for a perfect installation.

KEY-OVERRIDE-SL2
Encrypted Key Data Bypass Kit - Self Learning

http://bypasskits.fortinautoradio.co...exus/es_350/#7

What do you think??
Old 10-01-07, 07:07 PM
WICKED 1
Pole Position

thats the piece i would use. very good company to deal with. again its just dealers not wanting you to change what they know or they want you to buy their parts cause they can mark them up and give you less
Old 10-01-07, 07:10 PM
pamnyc2008
Driver School Candidate

I need it for the cold winters in NY. I posted it here because it's a feature all can use and apply. With most new Lexus coming with push start buttons, it's an issue that needs to be addressed sooner or later.

can anybody else help??
Old 10-01-07, 07:12 PM
pamnyc2008
Driver School Candidate

I did call lexus directly and they said to not install anything. Of course they are going to say that for legal reasons. I found this on the web:

KEY-OVERRIDE-SL2

http://bypasskits.fortinautoradio.co...exus/es_350/#7

I'm wondering if this would work.

Anybody on this???
Old 10-01-07, 08:22 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks like it is what you need.
Old 10-01-07, 09:07 PM
pamnyc2008
Driver School Candidate

Has anyone actually used this

KEY-OVERRIDE-SL2

in a real implementation??
Old 10-02-07, 04:44 AM
WICKED 1
Pole Position

i have used that piece just not on your car. that piece does about 40 different cars
Old 10-03-07, 04:20 PM
gnm313
Driver

Originally Posted by samathews
gmn313 - do you know approx how much the Fortin KEY-OVERRIDE-SL2 costs? Thanks
Unfortunately, the web refers you to their dealers when it comes to price. It looks fairly simple. I have to believe it is < $100. It is just another module accessory. I can't imagine it would double the price of an alarm system.

Here is the manufacturer site:

hxxp://bypasskits.fortinautoradio.com/en/products/bypass_kits/key-override-sl2/#overview
Old 10-03-07, 04:22 PM
gnm313
Driver

Originally Posted by gnm313
Unfortunately, the web refers you to their dealers when it comes to price. It looks fairly simple. I have to believe it is < $100. It is just another module accessory. I can't imagine it would double the price of an alarm system.

Here is the manufacturer site:

hxxp://bypasskits.fortinautoradio.com/en/products/bypass_kits/key-override-sl2/#overview
I am going to talk to a dealer tomorrow afternoon and I will fill you all in on what I find out. My guess is very few people have experience with this, but from my standpoint if they can read, they should be able to do this. I would do it myself, but I need someone who knows how to pull the dash apart. To me, that is the hardest part of this install.

I did an remote start install years ago and I spent 4 hours on my head under the dash. It was a pain. I would prefer to let someone else do that piece now that I have done the research.

Quick Reply: ►►►Alarm with Remote Start - ALL EXPERTS INVITED!