ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

►►►Alarm with Remote Start - ALL EXPERTS INVITED!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-07, 04:05 AM
pamnyc2008
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Remote Starter? Please Help!

I'm purchasing a 2007 Lexus ES 350 that comes w/ standard theft deterrant system, smart access (push start button and doors), navigation and 2 key fobs. The key fobs can perform about 4 inherent functions (doors, open windows, trunk release, seat memory).

I wish to put into the car a high quality alarm with remote start WITHOUT adding an additional remote. That is, I wish to have this feature installed while continuing to use my factory key fob and not loose any of its inherent features. Is this possible and if so how?? Also, what is the best system to use for this?

One lexus dealer said he can install a remote starter made by Auto Mate and all warranties would remain in effect. However, I checked with 2 other dealers who said this was not possible and if they installed a remote starter, I would have to accept it with a 2nd remote. Is this a good idea? Wouldn't this mean they would have to use a bypass module to subdue the built in theft deterrant system?

If I'm going to have to add a 2nd remote anyway, then I have someone really good in the aftermarket arena. He recommends Viper 5900 or 771XV. Should I go with him? He says that there is a federal law that can not void the Lexus factory warranty. In the end, I want to add this new alarm with remote starter WITHOUT comprimising any of the original factory equipment, electrical, computer (navi) software and setup.

What's the best way to do it? PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 09-29-07, 04:07 AM
pamnyc2008
Driver School Candidate

on what basis are you saying that? if you check feature wise, the after market systems such as Viper 5900 have many more features. if installed correctly, it would be better no?
Old 09-29-07, 04:08 AM
pamnyc2008
Driver School Candidate

Arrow Which Remote Starter? Please Help!!

I'm purchasing a 2007 Lexus ES 350 that comes w/ standard theft deterrant system, smart access (push start button and doors), navigation and 2 key fobs. The key fobs can perform about 4 inherent functions (doors, open windows, trunk release, seat memory).

I wish to put into the car a high quality alarm with remote start WITHOUT adding an additional remote. That is, I wish to have this feature installed while continuing to use my factory key fob and not loose any of its inherent features. Is this possible and if so how?? Also, what is the best system to use for this?

One lexus dealer said he can install a remote starter made by Auto Mate and all warranties would remain in effect. However, I checked with 2 other dealers who said this was not possible and if they installed a remote starter, I would have to accept it with a 2nd remote. Is this a good idea? Wouldn't this mean they would have to use a bypass module to subdue the built in theft deterrant system?

If I'm going to have to add a 2nd remote anyway, then I have someone really good in the aftermarket arena. He recommends Viper 5900 or 771XV. Should I go with him? He says that there is a federal law that can not void the Lexus factory warranty. In the end, I want to add this new alarm with remote starter WITHOUT comprimising any of the original factory equipment, electrical, computer (navi) software and setup.

Old 09-29-07, 05:08 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

First of all, you already posted this same topic here yesterday. The moderators might get pissed at you for reposting again after they specifically moved your post.

Back to the topic. If the aftermarket security system is properly installed, then you will not compromise any security. Make sure you goto a certified installer and alarm dealer so they know what to do. Also see if that shop works on Lexus as it's a bit more complicated to install an alarm in these cars VS your every day Honda or Toyota. There are a few bypass modules that emit a internally stored encryped signal and prevents you from having to leave a spare key hidden in the car.

As for having to have a 2nd remote, you're pretty much stuck with that path. I actually prefer that because of the incredible range with aftermarket remotes. The stock remote range is pathetic, only like 20-30ft or so. My current alarm has a "1 mile" range rating if you're out in the open. In the city I usually get about 1/4 mile range or so. If anyone screws with my car in the mall parking garage, I will know about it even if I'm on the far opposite side of the mall.

Viper is a great brand to go with as well. Personally I went with Autopage because they are the only one on the market right now to have a 1mile range system with a color screen remote. The model I have is Autopage RS-1000. It's not a cheap alarm though...the cost is up there with the best of the Viper units.
Old 09-29-07, 07:13 AM
pamnyc2008
Driver School Candidate

Jeff, sorry about the repost. I didn't get much feedback under the first so I thought I would try again with some new info gathered.

You appear to know a thing or two about this. I've been talking to lexus dealers and have gotten very different responses. Some can install a remote starter by Auto Mate that can utilize the factory key fob and interfaces with the factory alarm. Perhaps you're right that it's range and functionalities are limited. Yet other lexus dealers said they only install it with a 2nd remote which is what you have and what appears to be my only logical choice. Still yet, some dealers have stated that no "real" system exists yet to install in push button cars. Is this true? Who is right? They're all elite dealers giving me this info.

The aftermarket guy really knows his stuff, and is Directed (Viper) authorized dealer but then again I've never used him for a push button vehicle. The Viper 5900 offers the 1 mile range and has good security. Does installing that internally encrypted module adversely affect anything else? Which one is the best to use? Does it involve using a bypass module to disable the built-in alarm or do both work simultaneously?

And finally, what about the warranty? The dealers are scaring the crap out me telling me that if any problems occur as a result of an aftermarket install, it will void the warranty on whatever is affected. What is the truth? I'm spending $40K on a car and don't want to risk losing the warranty. At the same time, I don't want 25ft range of the key fob.

Do you have an email to incase I have additional questions?

Thanks for you feedback.
Old 09-29-07, 07:28 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

do not settle for a second remote. keep searching until u find someone that is willing to do it. most alarms are set up so that the autostart will work on a programmed sequence ie holding lock and unlock for 3 seconds. my friend programmed a stock remote (i forget the vehicle) to look for the sequence "unlock, lock, unlock, lock" and it would start up. Also, dont settle with leaving a "spare" key in the car, u can get a remote start without that as well. just make sure u find a competent installer and you should be good to go.
Old 09-29-07, 08:52 AM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by pamnyc2008

I know JDM has a remote start (with BIGGER remote)...but noone ever did it here in the US....

IMO messing with the wiring in your lexus = opening up a can of worms....
Old 09-29-07, 09:41 AM
HYPERBOY
Lexus Test Driver

well i just got mine put in a few weeks ago... i have a 01 es... long story short they set up the key for me soo that i can open the trunk, lock and unlock doors, start the car(which i had to buy valet key for the remote start)
and open and close the windows. i have the viper 5900 and i love it. i love that it has a mile range soo u can start ur car from a good distance away from ur car.... and u can have them program sooooo many more things for the alarm remote to do....
Old 09-29-07, 09:56 AM
VM 2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by excluesive
do not settle for a second remote. keep searching until u find someone that is willing to do it. most alarms are set up so that the autostart will work on a programmed sequence ie holding lock and unlock for 3 seconds. my friend programmed a stock remote (i forget the vehicle) to look for the sequence "unlock, lock, unlock, lock" and it would start up. Also, dont settle with leaving a "spare" key in the car, u can get a remote start without that as well. just make sure u find a competent installer and you should be good to go.

Getting a remote start that utilizes the factory GS key fob is basically useless b/c most people have to be standing next to their cars for the fob to work. If you're that close, you might as well stick your hand inside and start it up.

And Jeff, did you end up installing yourself?
Old 09-29-07, 10:17 AM
dilemma
Pole Position

imo the best way is to get an aftermarket alarm. just make sure its a reputable company and have a certified shop do the install. aftermarket not only will give you a better range but u will also have the peace of mind that u will get a page if someone is messing with ur car (depending how far u are from your car ofcourse). also if u have 2 different cars, u can buy the same alarm but use one remote for both cars. i know you can do this with viper alarm.
Old 09-29-07, 10:18 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pamnyc2008
on what basis are you saying that? if you check feature wise, the after market systems such as Viper 5900 have many more features. if installed correctly, it would be better no?
I do not know about the Viper alarms, except that I hear them going off every time the wind blows. My Lexus alarms almost never false alarm, keep people out of the car, and work invisibly every time the car is left alone.

I do not want or need any other features than that, maybe some others do...
Old 09-30-07, 12:58 AM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VM 2
Getting a remote start that utilizes the factory GS key fob is basically useless b/c most people have to be standing next to their cars for the fob to work. If you're that close, you might as well stick your hand inside and start it up.

And Jeff, did you end up installing yourself?
he said he did not want an extra fob
Old 09-30-07, 07:10 AM
gnm313
Driver

I have found a clean method of adding the remote start, but it will still involve a second fob but works with no embedded key under the dash. The security of the original system remains intact. Certified for the 07-08 ES. Unfortunately, you still need the original fob to prove to the car that you should be allowed to put the car in drive after remote starting. If you don't have the original fob with you, the car dies when you put on the brake. Now I have to find someone willing to install it for me. I am not paying for the alarm or even having them program the doors/trunk on the second fob. I will still need to carry the original fob, so it will handle all of that. Remote start is the goal.

The only other possibility to eliminate a second fob would be to get a creditcard fob like they have on the LS. I would think a dealer could get one, but I think the module in the car needs to be replaced along with your original fobs. You could then use the aftermarket fob for everything and just keep the creditcard in your wallet. It would work, but now you are talking a lot of $$$.

What you are really asking is re-program one of the buttons on the original remote to operate the aftermarket alarm. Not sure where you would go for that. It would involve hacking the security module.

Last edited by gnm313; 09-30-07 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-30-07, 10:15 AM
pamnyc2008
Driver School Candidate

gnm313,

What alarm is the one you have that's lexus certified and how come you're having difficulty finding some one to install it? I no longer mind adding a second remote but I just want to install it in a way that will not be detrimental to the original setup of the car, nor do I want to lose any features on the original fob while I'm at. I'm getting mixed responses from the dealer. Some are saying not to install any, while other dealers are saying they can add one with an extra fob.
Old 09-30-07, 10:19 AM
pamnyc2008
Driver School Candidate

At this point, I'm willing to take the extra fob as long as the aftermarket system does not harm the original setup of the car in any way. Again, I'm getting mixed responses from dealers, some saying not to install it while others offering the service themselves.

Additional feed back would be helpful.

Quick Reply: ►►►Alarm with Remote Start - ALL EXPERTS INVITED!