20.27%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

More Recent Transmission Poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-07, 07:45 PM
noseriousl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought mine in September and already have 7500 miles on it. Noticed the flaring early on and was a bit disappointed only because this is my first Lexus. It is a new tranny for this car and I will let the dealership mess with it.

A little perspective...............I bought this car after a lot of research and found this model had fewer issues overall than the other luxury counterparts. I had a 2003 BMW droptop and put more miles on the loaner car. MB also have numerous issues that are far more serious. So while it may depress some it is after all a car, a complicated one at that. As long as my dealer is concerned I will be OK.
Old 12-06-07, 05:52 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Parked on the 6th level of a parking garage and coasted down 6 levels to exit. At the bottom, when it was time to accelerate, the car just reved up and there was nothing. It was like I was in "N". I let off the gas and pushed it again and it kicked in. What else can go wrong?
Old 12-06-07, 09:30 AM
robob2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MD350
Parked on the 6th level of a parking garage and coasted down 6 levels to exit. At the bottom, when it was time to accelerate, the car just reved up and there was nothing. It was like I was in "N". I let off the gas and pushed it again and it kicked in. What else can go wrong?
I have a similar problem in my 2007 V6 Camry. When I coast down the hill of my driveway to the road and then hit the gas it is in neutral for a second or so. Very odd. This seems to only occur when cold.
Old 12-16-07, 06:30 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Wow! So sorry to hear this MD.

I'm having the opposite experience. My flares continue to diminish to almost non existent. That includes having to accelerate hard onto the main drag next to my house the other day when it was really cold, with nothing but perfect shifts.

I'm friends with one of the Lexus techs here and we met up at a party last night. I jokingly asked him if they flashed my ECU at my last service without telling me.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...but now that I have posted this....
Old 12-16-07, 06:41 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Macklin
Wow! So sorry to hear this MD.

I'm having the opposite experience. My flares continue to diminish to almost non existent. That includes having to accelerate hard onto the main drag next to my house the other day when it was really cold, with nothing but perfect shifts.

I'm friends with one of the Lexus techs here and we met up at a party last night. I jokingly asked him if they flashed my ECU at my last service without telling me.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...but now that I have posted this....
Glad to hear yours is better! I'll keep my fingers crossed also.
Old 12-16-07, 06:51 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Glad to hear yours is better! I'll keep my fingers crossed also.
Thanks!

It's a sweet ride isn't it? Gotta wonder why Lexus can't engineer a tranny that's worthy of the ride.

Had tranny issues with my '98 ES. Not to this extent, but that car performed flawlessly over the 9 plus years I owned it.
Old 12-16-07, 07:09 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks!

It's a sweet ride isn't it? Gotta wonder why Lexus can't engineer a tranny that's worthy of the ride.

Had tranny issues with my '98 ES. Not to this extent, but that car performed flawlessly over the 9 plus years I owned it.
It is a great looking car. Meets my needs in every way. I get lots of complements on it. I agree, they sure were quick to redesign the floor mats! Now, lets put some time to the tranny.

Since you are close with some techs, what do they have to say about this issue? I can't get a straight answer. Is there a 100% fix out there yet?
Old 12-16-07, 07:35 AM
Macklin
Advanced

My friend has never offered up any info on the tranny issue....from month one 19 ago. It's like they have a gag order on them or something. Needless to say, he was happy to hear my my jocking question last night. His response was well I made the right decision to leave it alone then.

I did tell him about my rotor issue, which others have reported here. It only presents itself after a LONG cruise on the interstate which I discovered on our trip to Pitt for Thanksgiving. I certainly don't want Lexus taking my car for a long cruise on the interstate to get it to manifest itself. He said he would make a call on it.

Last edited by Macklin; 12-16-07 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-16-07, 07:45 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

My friend has never offered up any info on the tranny issue....from month one 19 ago. It's like they have a gag order on them or something. Needless to say, he was happy to hear my my jocking question last night. His response was well I made the right decision to leave it alone then.

I did tell him about my rotor issue, which others have reported here. It only presents itself after a LONG cruise on the interstate which I discovered on our trip to Pitt for Thanksgiving. I certainly don't want Lexus taking my car for a long cruise on the interstate to get it to manifest itself. He said he would make a call on it.
LOL, it is a gag order. That is what frustrates me so much. I would feel so much better if they just came to me and said..."Mr. Customer, we goofed. We are working on a fix. We have your name and number and we'll call you when we can repair your car." .

They need a good lesson in Public Relations and Customer Service.

I have left mine alone, there has been no work done to the tranny or ECU

As to the rotors, let me know your findings. I have not taken my car in yet. I drove mine on a 250 mile trip Friday and I feel it everytime I hit the brakes at high speeds.
Old 12-16-07, 08:04 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL, it is a gag order. That is what frustrates me so much. I would feel so much better if they just came to me and said..."Mr. Customer, we goofed. We are working on a fix. We have your name and number and we'll call you when we can repair your car." .

They need a good lesson in Public Relations and Customer Service.

I have left mine alone, there has been no work done to the tranny or ECU

As to the rotors, let me know your findings. I have not taken my car in yet. I drove mine on a 250 mile trip Friday and I feel it everytime I hit the brakes at high speeds.

Not sure if this is the same type of rotor issue, but with 1st ES350 in getting a second opinion at a non-Lexus performance shop the tech let the car go quite a distance in reverse ....at least 100 feet or more......with light brake until a full and firm stop. Then put into drive and used the brakes again, announced there was an issue with rotor.

I had asked he examine the brakes because I felt they were kinda mushy and a slight lag time to really kick in and thought I was noticing something that seemed from rear passenger side when brake braking at highway speed.

If you want a non-highway method to duplicate, you could try the above yourself and see if you notice the same thing you are experiencing at highway speed, highway travel, and then let the tech try it to resolve it. Don't quote me but it seemed to me from comments from 2nd opinion it was not a major deal, but could be addressed, he thought it was an "actuator" issue.
Old 12-16-07, 08:09 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Exactly. He asked my why I didn't report it when I brought the car in for 15K service. I said because it is not apparent until you drive a few hundred miles or so. Strange isn't it? A warped rotor is always warped right??
Old 12-16-07, 08:33 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Exactly. He asked my why I didn't report it when I brought the car in for 15K service. I said because it is not apparent until you drive a few hundred miles or so. Strange isn't it? A warped rotor is always warped right??
Yep, mine are warped. Happens 100% of the time and slowly getting worse.
Old 12-16-07, 08:35 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
Not sure if this is the same type of rotor issue, but with 1st ES350 in getting a second opinion at a non-Lexus performance shop the tech let the car go quite a distance in reverse ....at least 100 feet or more......with light brake until a full and firm stop. Then put into drive and used the brakes again, announced there was an issue with rotor.

I had asked he examine the brakes because I felt they were kinda mushy and a slight lag time to really kick in and thought I was noticing something that seemed from rear passenger side when brake braking at highway speed.

If you want a non-highway method to duplicate, you could try the above yourself and see if you notice the same thing you are experiencing at highway speed, highway travel, and then let the tech try it to resolve it. Don't quote me but it seemed to me from comments from 2nd opinion it was not a major deal, but could be addressed, he thought it was an "actuator" issue.
I feel all I need is the rotors turned and I want Lexus to pay for it. Shouldn't be happening on a car that is mainly driven highway miles and has 22K miles on it. The first dealer I went to refused. But, I have to take it back to where I bought it for some leverage.
Old 12-16-07, 08:55 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Yep, mine are warped. Happens 100% of the time and slowly getting worse.
Damn! Gotta wonder what is causing it? Another design flaw?? Definitly should not be an issue at just under 15K miles.
Old 12-16-07, 10:08 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Damn! Gotta wonder what is causing it? Another design flaw?? Definitly should not be an issue at just under 15K miles.
Yours might be at the early stages and only cause vibration when very hot. I believe it is called "run out". This leads to warping.

Quick Reply: More Recent Transmission Poll