Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

More Recent Transmission Poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-07, 07:38 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by kchristian
My ES350 was purchased new 7/06 and the tranny was replaced due to flare in 4/07 with 9K miles on it. The flare was there from day one but because it only manifests itself during first drive of the day it didn't seem to be a big issue. I mentioned it during second service. The replacement tranny had the same issue and then they tweaked the TCM (after taking it back twice to have them confirm it was flaring again). Seems to be OK now except that the RPMs appear to be set higher (resulting in reduced mileage). Currently in the process of requesting a buyback. Also a loaner ES350 I had had flare too and when I told the service consultant he indicated that it wasn't a surprise to them.

For those of you who don't know the transaxle assembly for the ES350 is the same as that for the Camry V6 (LE) and it is also known to have flare issues. Not sure but it may also be the same as used in the Toyota Avalon (I had a 99 Toyota Avalon Platinum Edition before buying the loaded 07 Lexus ES350 - silver with black leather interior).
I think I read the Avalon currently has a 5 speed trans, and will be adding the 6 speed that's used in the Camry and ES on the '08's which are coming out soon.
Old 08-29-07, 08:41 PM
theredkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kchristian, which dealer did you go to in CA? I just moved to Bay area and may as well take my es350 to your dealer for dianogstic if they already have some success of treaking for no flaring.

Originally Posted by kchristian
My ES350 was purchased new 7/06 and the tranny was replaced due to flare in 4/07 with 9K miles on it. The flare was there from day one but because it only manifests itself during first drive of the day it didn't seem to be a big issue. I mentioned it during second service. The replacement tranny had the same issue and then they tweaked the TCM (after taking it back twice to have them confirm it was flaring again). Seems to be OK now except that the RPMs appear to be set higher (resulting in reduced mileage). Currently in the process of requesting a buyback. Also a loaner ES350 I had had flare too and when I told the service consultant he indicated that it wasn't a surprise to them.

For those of you who don't know the transaxle assembly for the ES350 is the same as that for the Camry V6 (LE) and it is also known to have flare issues. Not sure but it may also be the same as used in the Toyota Avalon (I had a 99 Toyota Avalon Platinum Edition before buying the loaded 07 Lexus ES350 - silver with black leather interior).
Old 09-11-07, 11:55 AM
ailp02
Driver School Candidate

Default Flare Signs

Just bought an Es 350, and would like to know what are the signs of a flare, how do rell if you are having one? Thanks
Old 09-11-07, 01:43 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ailp02
Just bought an Es 350, and would like to know what are the signs of a flare, how do rell if you are having one? Thanks
I suggest reading the many threads on this topic, as you asked a loaded question. However, it is a "slip" of the transmission between shifts. As if someone engaged the clutch on a manual transmission as the driver was applying gas. Your RPMs will spike. Usually happens between 2nd and 3rd and 3rd and 4th gears.

Oh, and congratulations on your purchase!
Old 09-11-07, 05:07 PM
psp
Pole Position

My new license plate

Old 09-15-07, 09:00 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by MD350
Yes, between 2nd and 3rd. I am not having the flash TSIB completed until I see some successful results from other owners on the forum. Until then, I just live with it. When the warranty ends just before 50K miles, I will get rid of this car.
MD, interesting that yours flares between 2 and 3. Sorry if we have discussed this before. I got tired of all the negativity here and haven't visited in quite some time. I have the typical 3 to 4 flare and I'm doing the same as you...just enjoying my flawless ride otherwise. But then again, I had minor tranny issues with my ES 300 that performed flawlessly for 10 years.

So, until I hear real results I'm living with a 200 rpm flare that only happens when the moons align. I mean really! The tranny shifts perfectly for weeks on end and then all of a sudden it decides it wants to flare for a day...cold or hot. Makes no sense to me.

But nothing has changed in 16 months. Still enjoy getting behind the wheel every morning!
Old 09-15-07, 10:24 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Macklin
MD, interesting that yours flares between 2 and 3. Sorry if we have discussed this before. I got tired of all the negativity here and haven't visited in quite some time. I have the typical 3 to 4 flare and I'm doing the same as you...just enjoying my flawless ride otherwise. But then again, I had minor tranny issues with my ES 300 that performed flawlessly for 10 years.

So, until I hear real results I'm living with a 200 rpm flare that only happens when the moons align. I mean really! The tranny shifts perfectly for weeks on end and then all of a sudden it decides it wants to flare for a day...cold or hot. Makes no sense to me.

But nothing has changed in 16 months. Still enjoy getting behind the wheel every morning!
I drive a lot (18,000 miles in 1 year) and mine seems to flare worse when it is really hot outside and the a/c is on. The car is under stress. Now that Fall is coming, it seems to be ok. I, too, am just waiting and living with it. I am afraid the TSIB may make things worse.

I just washed the car this morning and it does look great. I really do love the car, but my expectations were a lot higher with my first Lexus.

I do have to say this, I drove the ES to Atlantic City for a 3 1/2 ride which I did non stop once. 32 mpg on the trip. Very impressed with the gas mileage.

Enjoy!
Old 09-15-07, 07:05 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by MD350
I do have to say this, I drove the ES to Atlantic City for a 3 1/2 ride which I did non stop once. 32 mpg on the trip. Very impressed with the gas mileage. Enjoy!
I do enjoy the gas mileage, and that is my main reason for not upsetting the apple cart. We drove up to my wife's parents house in Pitt last thanksgiving. Instinctively I got gas about half way there. Didn't need to! Drove all the way home, about 465 miles, and still had just under 1/4 tank! Unbelievable!! 33mpg actual...not computer.

Just washed mine too BTW.
Old 09-16-07, 01:15 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was driving my ES350 and was thinking - is this really a transmission or an electronic appliance that shifts the car? If it is more of an electronic appliance, then we have an electric power surge and not a flare. Maybe I'm thinking too much about this....
Old 10-03-07, 11:40 AM
osokuko
Pole Position

A ES350 user from the past, lol. I see now there is a trans flush fix now. Ok I have often thought from the start when my ES350 07/06 flared once in the morning it could be a result of the “red line” synthetic trans fluid being a little to thick in the first drive off in the morning. In all the description of the flare it always happens in the first 10 minuets until the trans temp comes up. So maybe there is some merit to this fix, if they change the brand of fluid to something else. If they replace the fluid with same, then I have no idea why it would work unless there is a lot of crap in the trans from the factory to start with. What ever the reason for the flush I hope it works.
Old 10-03-07, 01:10 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by osokuko
A ES350 user from the past, lol. I see now there is a trans flush fix now. Ok I have often thought from the start when my ES350 07/06 flared once in the morning it could be a result of the “red line” synthetic trans fluid being a little to thick in the first drive off in the morning. In all the description of the flare it always happens in the first 10 minuets until the trans temp comes up. So maybe there is some merit to this fix, if they change the brand of fluid to something else. If they replace the fluid with same, then I have no idea why it would work unless there is a lot of crap in the trans from the factory to start with. What ever the reason for the flush I hope it works.
Where did you see this information?? Thanks..
Old 10-05-07, 12:00 AM
osokuko
Pole Position

Back in 08/06 and forward there were several posts made by various tech type folks here trying to figure out the problems with the 660E trans. In those post bits of info were disclosed on the brand of fluid used by Lexus, as you know the trans fluid will go 100K miles in a sealed system. Others reported the fluid in some trans being replaced shown contamination in the fluid which gave the impression of poor assembly by the factory. The manufacture of the 660E change in September (I think) due to the tolerance problems in manufacturing. So a lot of changes have taken place in the 660E since 05/06, but from what I’m seeing now it has improved a lot. More people are reporting no problems with the trans which is a good sign the problems are getting fixed. So much info has been posted on this trans here and on other sites that after a while it gets hard to remember what site had what information. Over the year so many fixes have come a long that you wonder if there is a fix. Lol. But if the flush works for some I’m all for it. Remember the fill the trans with more fluid fix, did that work, for some it did for other it didn’t.

Last edited by osokuko; 10-05-07 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-06-07, 04:10 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

I plan to wait until Toyota has a real fix (i.e., a revised transmission) and then will pursue a buyback. My theory is that most of the U660-equipped cars have the flare problem, but not everyone drives in such a way to trigger the flare or notices it. My '07 ES350 was mfd July 2007, and had minor flares from the start. Now that it's hit 2500 miles (1.5 months old), it flares ~800+ rpm several times after started. I traded in a 9-month old 2007 Camry V6 XLE that had serious flare problems even after getting a new transmission (and that was damaged in numerous ways by the mechanics), so I'm really torqued that the Lexus version has the same problem a year later. Toyota refused to buy back the Camry and I'm feeling foolish for entrusting this manufacturer with another purchase...
Old 10-07-07, 07:26 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YotaCarFan
I plan to wait until Toyota has a real fix (i.e., a revised transmission) and then will pursue a buyback. My theory is that most of the U660-equipped cars have the flare problem, but not everyone drives in such a way to trigger the flare or notices it. My '07 ES350 was mfd July 2007, and had minor flares from the start. Now that it's hit 2500 miles (1.5 months old), it flares ~800+ rpm several times after started. I traded in a 9-month old 2007 Camry V6 XLE that had serious flare problems even after getting a new transmission (and that was damaged in numerous ways by the mechanics), so I'm really torqued that the Lexus version has the same problem a year later. Toyota refused to buy back the Camry and I'm feeling foolish for entrusting this manufacturer with another purchase...
That stinks! Sorry to hear that, good luck.
Old 10-10-07, 11:06 AM
ailp02
Driver School Candidate

Default ES350 4/07 Build date

anyone know if the falre issue is resolved by the 4/07 build date?

Thanks

Quick Reply: More Recent Transmission Poll