Results from latest TSB transmission flash

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-07, 09:37 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrshyvley
07LexusGuy,
Just curious, when/where was your car produced?
I have a 10/06 build date - purchased in November last year

Originally Posted by robob2
Would you classify it as aceptable?
Acceptable may be a relative term - I think its "more acceptable" than the harsh cold start flare but having a flare at all when in normal operation is not acceptable to me.
Old 05-31-07, 04:59 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

I test drove a new ES today. No hesitation, good downshift and no flaring. Salesperson acknowledges this has been a problem, but
states this issue is "fixed". Are you all buying
that these recently produced cars are "fixed"?
Old 05-31-07, 06:14 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by noncom23
I test drove a new ES today. No hesitation, good downshift and no flaring. Salesperson acknowledges this has been a problem, but
If the salesperson claims it is fixed, have them give you a 30 day money back clause if the tranny flares. Bet they won't sign it.
Old 06-01-07, 06:32 AM
static
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my car in for the 15k service Wed and reported what happened to me. They reflashed the transmission control module per TSIB TC005-07.

I didn't have the 3-4 shift flare but reported another issue with downshifting on hard acceleration. They kept the car overnight. Mine is an 08/06 build.

Haven't driven much yet, but it does seem to shift slightly differently than before.
Old 06-01-07, 08:53 AM
rh26
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by static
Haven't driven much yet, but it does seem to shift slightly differently than before.
I promise I'm not trying to be funny...

While the "fix" ought to change some shift behavior (it's trying to fix the flare after all), is it possible that reportedly different shifting behavior is due to "learning"? Does re-programming the transmission reset the learning? Over time will the shifting behavior aproach what it was right before the flash?
Old 06-01-07, 09:23 AM
rlj4246
Pole Position

Originally Posted by noncom23
Not just yet. I will have to see results from the owners who have the problem. If they solved the problem then they should be fixing all the ones that flare. When (if) I see that then I will believe it
Old 06-01-07, 09:25 AM
static
Driver

Originally Posted by rh26

While the "fix" ought to change some shift behavior (it's trying to fix the flare after all), is it possible that reportedly different shifting behavior is due to "learning"? Does re-programming the transmission reset the learning? Over time will the shifting behavior aproach what it was right before the flash?
Sure seems like it would reset. I'm hoping I don't notice much change because other than the 1 event, I had no other problem with the trans before the flash.
Old 06-01-07, 10:26 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rh26

Just thinking out loud: tranny re-flash is nothing but a new firmware code to control shifting. The "learning" previous to re-flash is nothing but a bunch of data points collected from your everyday driving and stored in some separate memory location. Those data points are useless because they were based on previous shifting algorithm. So, I assume with re-flash everything going to be reset (like that Man in Black movie ). In theory, the current shifting behavior is due to a wrong firmware code to begin with. So, if they are going to change the code, it should change the behavior. Again, this is just a theory. In practice, we have to wait and see. It would be interested to see someone who developed a flare at 1k-2k, got a re-flash, and than report what happened after 1k-2k of driving with a new firmware. Of course, if you go right back to flaring, all the bets are off. Otherwise, we can see if anything has been fixed and how does the new learning curve works. I would not be surprised if Lexus engineers themselves are "testing" this code to see how it behaves over the time, and those of you who are receiving these re-flashes are nothing but guinea pigs. Again, this is just my humble opinion while speaking out loud
Old 06-01-07, 01:18 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Remember folks the Es350 and Camry V6 transaxles DO NOT LEARN, they have AI - Artificial Intelligence... This as the copyrighted name implies, means that the transmission adapts to "current" inputs.

think about it....

I mean how annoying would it be to have your car remember your wife's driving habits over your own?
Old 06-01-07, 03:27 PM
Vette2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by onsknht
Remember folks the Es350 and Camry V6 transaxles DO NOT LEARN, they have AI - Artificial Intelligence... This as the copyrighted name implies, means that the transmission adapts to "current" inputs.
While I agree with onsknht that our tranmissions are adaptive over the short term to the current driving style of the operator (nothing new...many electronically controlled transmissions have had this for years), there is a "Learning" operation referred to in the U660E Automatic Transaxle service manual that is required to be performed by the tech after certain repairs. For instance, it was specified in the failed Valve Body replacement TSB, as some may recall.

Below is a quote from the service manual.

CAUTION:
After the transaxle compensation code, be sure
to perform a road test to allow TCM to learn.

2. PERFORM ROAD TEST TO ALLOW TCM TO LEARN

NOTICE:
Perform the following procedures while strictly
observing all traffic laws and speed limits.
(a) From a standstill, achieve highest possible speed
with the accelerator pedal opened 15% or less.
Keep the accelerator pedal angle steady while
driving the vehicle.
(b) Repeat the previous step until shift shock no longer
occurs.
(c) From a standstill, achieve highest possible speed
with the accelerator pedal opened 25% or more.
driving the vehicle.
(d) Repeat the previous step until shift shock no longer
occurs.

The compensation codes referred to are unique to each tranaxle and are related to the tolerances of the individual parts in that particular unit. Further, these codes are also long-term adaptive to compensate for normal wear-in of the transaxle with time and mileage.
Old 06-01-07, 04:12 PM
robob2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by twister
Just thinking out loud: tranny re-flash is nothing but a new firmware code to control shifting. The "learning" previous to re-flash is nothing but a bunch of data points collected from your everyday driving and stored in some separate memory location. Those data points are useless because they were based on previous shifting algorithm. So, I assume with re-flash everything going to be reset (like that Man in Black movie ). In theory, the current shifting behavior is due to a wrong firmware code to begin with. So, if they are going to change the code, it should change the behavior. Again, this is just a theory. In practice, we have to wait and see. It would be interested to see someone who developed a flare at 1k-2k, got a re-flash, and than report what happened after 1k-2k of driving with a new firmware. Of course, if you go right back to flaring, all the bets are off. Otherwise, we can see if anything has been fixed and how does the new learning curve works. I would not be surprised if Lexus engineers themselves are "testing" this code to see how it behaves over the time, and those of you who are receiving these re-flashes are nothing but guinea pigs. Again, this is just my humble opinion while speaking out loud
In my Camry, I have a new tranny and a re-flash. Prior to the fix I had the 3-4 flare. Since the fix I no longer have the 3-4 flare (other oddities though) and i do notice the car holding on to 3rd longer before shifting to 4th then it did before the change. I've heard this mentioned elsewhere as well.

Bob
Old 06-01-07, 05:57 PM
onsknht
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vette2
While I agree with onsknht that our tranmissions are adaptive over the short term to the current driving style of the operator (nothing new...many electronically controlled transmissions have had this for years), there is a "Learning" operation referred to in the U660E Automatic Transaxle service manual that is required to be performed by the tech after certain repairs. For instance, it was specified in the failed Valve Body replacement TSB, as some may recall.

Below is a quote from the service manual.

CAUTION:
After the transaxle compensation code, be sure
to perform a road test to allow TCM to learn.

2. PERFORM ROAD TEST TO ALLOW TCM TO LEARN

NOTICE:
Perform the following procedures while strictly
observing all traffic laws and speed limits.
(a) From a standstill, achieve highest possible speed
with the accelerator pedal opened 15% or less.
driving the vehicle.
(b) Repeat the previous step until shift shock no longer
occurs.
(c) From a standstill, achieve highest possible speed
with the accelerator pedal opened 25% or more.
driving the vehicle.
(d) Repeat the previous step until shift shock no longer
occurs.

The compensation codes referred to are unique to each tranaxle and are related to the tolerances of the individual parts in that particular unit. Further, these codes are also long-term adaptive to compensate for normal wear-in of the transaxle with time and mileage.
You're 100% correct on the initial setup and long term adjustments... I should have made that clearer, but I referenced the same setup procedures months back so I've long since forgotten... Cause it's tech oriented and tolerance adjustments for wear.

I just want fellas to know they can drive their car anyway they want and for the most part it'll never "learn" their driving habits.
Old 06-02-07, 11:23 AM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it possible that even though the camry and es350 share the same engine and transmission, i thought the ECU updates between the two vehicles would be differenet. correct me if i am wrong, but i thought the gearing was a little different between the two vechiles. maybe hence the difference in results??

just a thought... thanks....
Old 06-03-07, 11:10 AM
Vette2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by reyrey127
is it possible that even though the camry and es350 share the same engine and transmission, i thought the ECU updates between the two vehicles would be differenet. correct me if i am wrong, but i thought the gearing was a little different between the two vechiles. maybe hence the difference in results??....
I just checked documentation that I have. The gearing is identical on the Camry V6 and the ES.

As we all know, the Camry is rated 268HP on regular gas and the ES at 272HP on premium. The cars are very similar in size and weight. Both of these vehicles contain a separate electronic control unit for the U660E Transaxle, referred to as a TCU (Tranmission Control Unit) which is linked to the primary ECU by computer bus. Both controllers have their own flash memory and thus can be independently updated.

My best guess is the the TCU coding would be the same in both vehicles but I can't confirm that.
Old 06-03-07, 12:58 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by twister
I would not be surprised if Lexus engineers themselves are "testing" this code to see how it behaves over the time, and those of you who are receiving these re-flashes are nothing but guinea pigs. Again, this is just my humble opinion while speaking out loud
Exactly why I am waiting for more real world results. What about mpg? Has anyone had it long enough to notice any difference??

Come on folks, ah guinea pigs, post up!

Quick Reply: Results from latest TSB transmission flash